Trey Flowers to sign with Lions

bigbadbuff23835

12 hours ago, Starless said:

What's stopping them from cutting one or more of those players? If they wanted to keep Flowers they would find a way to make it work. They didn't think he was a $16m/year guy. I think that's a mistake but we'll see.

But why would you? Age aside, Hightower, McCourty and Gronk (when healthy) have all meant more to the team and are all on generally reasonable deals. You’re going to cut one of them to pay a guy more who might never even make the step that they all already made? 

11 hours ago, Starless said:

The Pats have completely turned over the TE depth chart before. I don't see why they couldn't do it again. Gronk might be retiring anyway so it has to be a possibility they're preparing for.

And at any rate, I'd much rather cut a banged-up 30-year-old TE who probably has no more than a year left or a 32-year-old safety for whom there's a perfectly good replacement already on the roster than let go of a 25-year-old who's been the team's best defensive player for the last two years.

He’s not the team’s best defensive player. Hightower as soon as he got healthy surpassed him just like he did before he got injured, Gilmore was probably the best corner in the league last year and Flowers has no argument for being a better player than him. 

Gronk when healthy is the most dangerous offensive weapon in the NFL. If Gronk only has 2-3 great games all year it’s still going to be better by a wide margin than any 2-3 games Flowers has. And just by virtue of being on the field he opens up matchups for us. Oh and he’s on a very reasonable contract 

McCourty is really the only one you have a great argument for and even then he’s one of the best safeties in the league, a team captain and a vital part of the team’s best unit. 

Flowers is a guy who was teetering on the edge of being really talented that you hate to see him leave, but just not being at that level that it’s smart to enter into a bidding war for him. Good teams don’t do that. Especially at the expense of the biggest offensive game breaker in the NFL on a good contract and one of the league’s best safeties and a huge leader on your secondary, which is currently your best unit, whose contract is already handled.

We’ve lost better than Flowers in the past..

7 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

who is a terrific player at 33. 

Yeah but how long will that last? Let's say they get 2 more good years out of Bennett. That'd take them to Flowers' age 28 season. And what'll they do then? Like I said, players like Flowers (and Bennett) are difficult to find in a hyper-specialized NFL. It took them 7 years (from the time Seymour was traded to the time Flowers was drafted) to find a player with that sort of skill set. I'm not optimistic they'll be able to find another such player any time soon.

43 minutes ago, Starless said:

Yeah but how long will that last? Let's say they get 2 more good years out of Bennett. That'd take them to Flowers' age 28 season. And what'll they do then? Like I said, players like Flowers (and Bennett) are difficult to find in a hyper-specialized NFL. It took them 7 years (from the time Seymour was traded to the time Flowers was drafted) to find a player with that sort of skill set. I'm not optimistic they'll be able to find another such player any time soon.

This is the type of fan I appreciate 

Archived