Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
flyguy1609

trey flowers signs with the lions

Recommended Posts

Fantastic signing. Flowers is the perfect fit for this defense, Patricia damn near molded this defense to fit a guy like him. He'll play defensive end but he'll also line up inside and rush from the interior on more obvious passing downs. He also gives them the flexibility to stand him up and cover in the flats. He gets a lot of pressures, which really plays well to Patricias philosophy. Patricia wants to play heavy coverage and get the QB feeling the pressure while being contained. Need guys who can rush under control, need guys who can rush with power. Flowers is one of the best in game at that. That's why they want DBs like Justin Coleman who play the ball, the idea is that the ball is either going to be out late under pressure or early to avoid it. React and go get the ball. 

Flowers will have an impact similar to Damon Harrison on the run defense. He eats up blockers and destroys tight ends. He'll help keep Jarrad Davis clean to fly around to the ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m pleased with the moves so far.

Flowers is an impact player, knows the scheme and coach. 

This is as safe a signing as you can get.

In addition they signed an excellent CB, a real slot receiver and a TE that worked really hard to improve his blocking. 

These are exactly the type of moves they should be making. Fill holes in FA then your hands aren’t tied in the draft.

They no longer have a need that requires them to go a given way. The first round it wouldn’t surprise me to see them take a TE/CB/LB

 

Offensive line is still on the board as well. TE/RG/LB/CB are still needs, but none of them are pressing. You don't *need* two TEs but it would be nice in Bevells offense to have two good ones. Wiggins wasn't terrible at RG and Crosby looked decent as well, they could survive without adding another OL (I think it will be a priority for Bob Quinn though, he loves investing in the OL). Christian Jones and Jalen Reeves-Maybin aren't a terrible rotation at LB, but adding a playmaker there would take the defense to yet another level. Finally, they *could* rely on Mike Ford or Teez Tabor to play CB, however I highly doubt they will. Wouldn't be shocked if they add another former Patriot (Jason McCourty) to be a stopgap there to give them more time to develop Ford/Tabor. 

These FA signings have given them flexibility. They don't have to sign any specific position between now and the draft. They can instead try to find deals on mid-level guys at those positions or maybe shoot for one last impact player and fill the others in the draft. Regardless, they've set themselves up well. The draft is strong at TE, IOL, LB, and CB. No matter what they won't really be "reaching" in the first two rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I HATE this signing for the cost. 17 mil a yr for Flowers? Thats terrible! I really hope this doesnt remove us from the possibility to getting Anthony Barr and a S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Offensive line is still on the board as well. TE/RG/LB/CB are still needs, but none of them are pressing. You don't *need* two TEs but it would be nice in Bevells offense to have two good ones. Wiggins wasn't terrible at RG and Crosby looked decent as well, they could survive without adding another OL (I think it will be a priority for Bob Quinn though, he loves investing in the OL). Christian Jones and Jalen Reeves-Maybin aren't a terrible rotation at LB, but adding a playmaker there would take the defense to yet another level. Finally, they *could* rely on Mike Ford or Teez Tabor to play CB, however I highly doubt they will. Wouldn't be shocked if they add another former Patriot (Jason McCourty) to be a stopgap there to give them more time to develop Ford/Tabor. 

These FA signings have given them flexibility. They don't have to sign any specific position between now and the draft. They can instead try to find deals on mid-level guys at those positions or maybe shoot for one last impact player and fill the others in the draft. Regardless, they've set themselves up well. The draft is strong at TE, IOL, LB, and CB. No matter what they won't really be "reaching" in the first two rounds. 

I love the flexibility the strategy has given them.

Flowers just might be my favourite signing ever.

Im very surprised the Seahawks didn’t get Coleman signed. He’s an impact guy and will really improve the secondary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trey Flowers played next to some pretty marginal DTs in New England.  Putting him on the same line with Harrison, Robinson and Hand could be pretty awesome assuming Robinson doesn't go into another 4-game disappearing act.  They could pick up another young edge player in the draft pretty easily and take their time developing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope he still has the motivation.. thats my concern along with thats alot of freaking money... if we get a pr at 8 this d suddenly looks scary tho

Idk if I see them drafting a de anymore tho I'm guessing a guy like Brian burns or ol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rockcity2 said:

I just hope he still has the motivation.. thats my concern along with thats alot of freaking money... if we get a pr at 8 this d suddenly looks scary tho

Idk if I see them drafting a de anymore tho I'm guessing a guy like Brian burns or ol

I’m hoping they don’t draft a punt returner at 8.🤠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our defensive line should be set right?

Flowers and Okwara on the ends with our strong 3 DT rotation. 

Similar to the Viking days of the Wlliams Wall and Jared Allen. Really opened the door for Ray Edwards to get pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This draft class has too many good edge rushers to not add another.  Romeo Okwara is a solid "effort guy" but is he really the game-wrecker we need?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Just Want A Title said:

This draft class has too many good edge rushers to not add another.  Romeo Okwara is a solid "effort guy" but is he really the game-wrecker we need?

Shouldn’t OL or CB or LB be addressed first at this point?

I think with that DL we have now Okwara is someone that can develop into a solid addition to that line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hope that a. this doesn't make them pass on a DE that they should take in the draft, be it first round or any other round, and b. we get the Patriots version of Flowers, and not the "used to play for the Patriots and was never as good after that" version like a lot of guys. For 17-18m, if we don't get the good version that's going to hurt, bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I just hope that a. this doesn't make them pass on a DE that they should take in the draft, be it first round or any other round, and b. we get the Patriots version of Flowers, and not the "used to play for the Patriots and was never as good after that" version like a lot of guys. For 17-18m, if we don't get the good version that's going to hurt, bad

Still gotta give the kid a chance...he is a lion and hees only 25 years old!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×