Bears sign Buster Skrine

beardown3231

52 minutes ago, G08 said:

Sounds like Callahan has 6 teams bidding him up so this was, in my opinion, option 2 for Pace.

Agreed and to his credit once he realized Callahan wasn't gonna be able to be signed he made his move on Plan B.

Mike Davis may have been a Plan B as well once he realized $5 mil was not gonna get him any of the top backs.

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Agreed and to his credit once he realized Callahan wasn't gonna be able to be signed he made his move on Plan B.

Mike Davis may have been a Plan B as well once he realized $5 mil was not gonna get him any of the top backs.

If we're getting the kid whose 2013 tape I'm watching, we might have found ourselves something. Big IF, though.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Not a signing that thrills me much.  I'm gonna call this a downgrade.

Guess all talk with Callahan is over now and Pace felt he needed to make a move.

We’re in a place where we are plugging in capable vets to fill holes. Skrine is that. He’s clearly a guy that Pace & Co. targeted as a primary option if Callahan priced out. They’re not going to hit on every signing (not saying they won’t here), but after last year didn’t Pace earn at least a little bit of the benefit of the doubt? Pagano made his bones coming up as a secondary coach and as a DC. Presumably he endorses this move.

This is a signing that assures we don’t HAVE to find a turn key starting nickel in round 3+. Let’s not look at it as more than what it is. It’s basically Marcus Cooper’s contract. I’d fully expect that we can get away from it a year from now with limited dead cap if it’s a bad move. I also fully expect that signing a 30-year old slot corner isn’t likely to prevent us from taking the future slot corner in the draft. Just makes it so our hand isn’t forced come late April.

I don’t know why these kinds of moves continue to surprise people. They’ve been Pace’s MO since he got here. 

Watched him for a handful of games.

He doesn't play most of snaps. They blitz him a lot, but he doesn't get home.  He does pressure.

Seems to play screen well. 

He doesnt look particularly athletic or fast.  Weak tackler, but not ineffective.  Always in decent position, but never really right in a guys pocket.  Not physical.

He doesnt get attacked much, but when he does he doesn't really make a play. 

Kind of a head scratching signing.  I think McMannis is better than this guy.  I think Callahan is way better.  I think Tolliver is way better.

Maybe he will look better with better talent around him. 

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

Jet fan here.  Skrine will have some good games and maybe even string a few together, but when he has a bad game he has a flat out stinker.  He has the ability to just lose you a game single handedly.  Outside of those games where he goes nuclear he is decent, and actually a decent blitzer.  Just for context Jets fans are happy to see him go, but in todays market you guys didn't pay him a ton. 

He cannot blow a game for the Bears. He is the 10th or 11th best guy on the defense and has 2 All Pros, one beside and behind.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

If we're getting the kid whose 2013 tape I'm watching, we might have found ourselves something. Big IF, though.

Yeah, ya' never know.  Who would have though a 5th round draft pick would be a near equal to "Zeke" Elliott as a rookie.

His college scouting report indicates that like Howard the more he's used the better his production has been and his 2018 stats would tend to verify that so he may be a surprise but as it stand today I still see him as a supplemental RB you combine with another back or two which is also I believe how Pace and Nagy see him.

Here is what to like about Skrine

-He has only missed 5 games in 8 years

-He has experience all over the field

-He is a good pass rusher, last season 25 rushes, 8 pressures and 1 sack

-He is an obvious downgrade from Callahan, but we knew that was coming when we saw the DB money, but for 5 million he is a solid vet value.

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Also note when watching games I never noticed him on special teams at all.

I know its just a journeyman signing, but I am not a fan of this one. 

Thumbs down.

Can't give it a thumbs down till we see what other options are out there.

Right now it appears that 5 million does not buy you a lot in the slot CB market.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Can't give it a thumbs down till we see what other options are out there.

Right now it appears that 5 million does not buy you a lot in the slot CB market.

I just hope this guy doesnt get handed a job because he got paid for the year.  Like to see to McMannis or Tolliver get a fair shot.  I legit think they are better football players than this guy. 

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He cannot blow a game for the Bears. He is the 10th or 11th best guy on the defense and has 2 All Pros, one beside and behind.

Oh man, just wait.  There were a few games where he got toasted for like 3 TDs in the game and would have like 2 or 3 massive penalties.  He is near the top of the league in penalties every single year.

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We’re in a place where we are plugging in capable vets to fill holes. Skrine is that. He’s clearly a guy that Pace & Co. targeted as a primary option if Callahan priced out. They’re not going to hit on every signing (not saying they won’t here), but after last year didn’t Pace earn at least a little bit of the benefit of the doubt? Pagano made his bones coming up as a secondary coach and as a DC. Presumably he endorses this move.

This is a signing that assures we don’t HAVE to find a turn key starting nickel in round 3+. Let’s not look at it as more than what it is. It’s basically Marcus Cooper’s contract. I’d fully expect that we can get away from it a year from now with limited dead cap if it’s a bad move. I also fully expect that signing a 30-year old slot corner isn’t likely to prevent us from taking the future slot corner in the draft. Just makes it so our hand isn’t forced come late April.

I don’t know why these kinds of moves continue to surprise people. They’ve been Pace’s MO since he got here. 

Yeah, I see the rationale.  Skrine is Plan B and Lord knows the Pats and other team make this strategy work all the time when they find a player whose rookie deal is up has overpriced himself.  This is not the '70s or the '80 where you could almost always count on keeping your team intact.

From a purely pragmatic point of view I get it but since I've always been a Callahan fan from the day we signed him as a UDFA.  I've seen him become the success I believed he would become so emotionally I hate to see him go being replaced by a guy I'm not anywhere near as confident in.

And I'm not at all surprised by either of today's deals.  In fact I've pretty much predicted it especially a RB.  I may have been looking a little higher on the FA list and so were any others but the deals being handed out made signing any of those guys nearly impossible if we still expect to move forward with others we need to extend soon.  I like getting Mike Davis I'm just more lukewarm on Skrine is all.

Archived