Bears sign Buster Skrine

beardown3231

People were not happy with Prince when he was signed either.

This is an ideal situation for a DB. Skrine looked bad last season because the NY defense was trash, they got no pass rush, and the entire defense got killed.

Skrine is walking into the ideal scenario. He has an All Pro beside him, behind him, and ILBs that can cover , and a ferocious pass rush.

2 hours ago, rampantjet said:

Jet fan here.  Skrine will have some good games and maybe even string a few together, but when he has a bad game he has a flat out stinker.  He has the ability to just lose you a game single handedly.  Outside of those games where he goes nuclear he is decent, and actually a decent blitzer.  Just for context Jets fans are happy to see him go, but in todays market you guys didn't pay him a ton. 

Thanks for insider perspective.

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

Oh man, just wait.  There were a few games where he got toasted for like 3 TDs in the game and would have like 2 or 3 massive penalties.  He is near the top of the league in penalties every single year.

You can't throw TDs when the QB is on his back.

In NY he had no pass rush, no ILBs who could cover, and 1 good player in the secondary. Less than an ideal situation for a DB.

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Can't give it a thumbs down till we see what other options are out there.

Right now it appears that 5 million does not buy you a lot in the slot CB market.

That could well be the understatement of the week when you've got guy saying Callahan's price is shooting up into the $9 mil AAV range.

Just not affordable period.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

In NY he had no pass rush, no ILBs who could cover, and 1 good player in the secondary. Less than an ideal situation for a DB.

@rampantjet

You don't have to defend him Windy.  We were insider warned about Parky too.  Fans know their players better than their new team.  

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not gonna argue that the Bears D isn't better, but a good pass rush isn't going to matter when he is holding a dude several times in a row.  They still throw the flag.  Being surrounded by a better D will certainly help him, but he was 112th out of 121 CB's last year on PFF, Bryce Callahan was 7th.... lets not act like those numbers are close to each other because i was pretty on the ball in 3rd grade.  

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

@rampantjet

You don't have to defend him Windy.  We were insider warned about Parky too.  Fans know their players better than their new team.  

I am simply stating looking at a DB stats on a bad defense is misleading. We were all ready to write off Adrian Amos and Kyle Fuller when they played on bad defenses.

Fans know their players, but we tend to remember the bad and do not look at the context of the entire situation.

Just now, rampantjet said:

I am not gonna argue that the Bears D isn't better, but a good pass rush isn't going to matter when he is holding a dude several times in a row.  They still throw the flag.  Being surrounded by a better D will certainly help him, but he was 112th out of 121 CB's last year on PFF, Bryce Callahan was 7th.... lets not act like those numbers are close to each other because i was pretty on the ball in 3rd grade.  

He is obviously a downgrade from Callahan, but the Bears can't afford to keep Callahan he is literally going to get double the money.

For the last 4-5 games of the season the Bears lost Callahan and replaced him with a special teamer and the defense did not lose a beat. The collective can cover players issues.

I think the Skrine signings is a C.

I do not love it, but I understand that they wanted a versatile and experienced slot CB that can understand complex coverage and can fit in as a role player on the defense.

They could not afford a star, so they got a vet that at least doesn't leave them empty handed.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I am simply stating looking at a DB stats on a bad defense is misleading. We were all ready to write off Adrian Amos and Kyle Fuller when they played on bad defenses.

Fans know their players, but we tend to remember the bad and do not look at the context of the entire situation.

Watch him play for yourself.  He wasn't that good in coverage last year.  Pass rush or no.

He was the pass rush quite a bit. 

Just now, dll2000 said:

Watch him play for yourself.  He wasn't that good in coverage last year.  Pass rush or no.

He was the pass rush quite a bit. 

DBs on bad defenses look bad. 

They are like WRs, who are dependent on other players to be successful.

When the Jets defense was better, he was not as poorly thought of.

1And now to look at Buster Skrine. According to @TheQuantEdge, teams had a passer rating of 113.3 throwing at him in 2018. Completed 63% of passes, averaged 7.4 yards/target, and had 5 TD/0 INT. He also picked up 7 penalties, which was just short of Amukamara's amount.

The completion percentage and yards/target numbers are actually pretty decent. For comparison, teams throwing at Callahan last year completed 67% of passes for 8.4 yards/target. So Skrine was better in both areas. Yards/target comparable to Fuller (7.2) as best Bears starter

So the TD/INT ratio skews the passer rating a good bit. Skrine was at 7.2 yards/target in 2017 and 6.9 in 2016, so consistently solid in coverage. He doesn't get many INTs (9 in 8 years, only 1 year with more than 1), but neither did Callahan.

So Skrine is decent in coverage but doesn't make many plays. He's about to turn 30 in April, so not a long-term solution, but I like this signing. He's also stepping into a perfect situation in terms of playing with a great front 7 and awesome safety behind you in EJax.

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

You had me.. and then you started quoting PFF stats. Take care.

Skrine had a better 2018 than Callahan did by yards/target and completion % against.

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

You had me.. and then you started quoting PFF stats. Take care.

Skrine had a better 2018 than Callahan did by yards/target and completion % against.

Ok, i hope he works out for you.  I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just giving you my impressions.  

Archived