Bears sign Buster Skrine

beardown3231

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

I realize that and I thank you, but using PFF has your basis for anything isn't going to cut it, not for me at least

Ok well i watched him for the last 4 years and rarely was it a pleasant experience.  And i am a Jets fan so i am pretty good at being disappointed in things.  

18 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Let's also consider that if we assume reasonable development, our best 3 CBs next year will be Tolliver, Amukamara, and Fuller. I expect Pagano will play that combination often and Skrine will serve as more of a 4th CB providing depth.

Me and @dll2000 have been hoping for that for a while. I wonder What our dime package will look like though. Iirc someone here posted about how he used dime more than almost any other D.C. when he was calling the plays. 

Way less than nickel but still. 

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

I am not gonna argue that the Bears D isn't better, but a good pass rush isn't going to matter when he is holding a dude several times in a row.  They still throw the flag.  Being surrounded by a better D will certainly help him, but he was 112th out of 121 CB's last year on PFF, Bryce Callahan was 7th.... lets not act like those numbers are close to each other because i was pretty on the ball in 3rd grade.  

Well Pace seems to make at least one bad FA decision each spring.  Skrine may be the 2019 version. :(

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I think the Skrine signings is a C.

I do not love it, but I understand that they wanted a versatile and experienced slot CB that can understand complex coverage and can fit in as a role player on the defense.

They could not afford a star, so they got a vet that at least doesn't leave them empty handed.

Not a bad way to look at it Windy.

I would not have trusted McManis there all year plus his starting weakens our coverage teams.

Obviously we need to redraft the position anyway and a few have hit on Rock Ya-Sin as a prospect.  Even if he turns out to be as good as Callahan he won't be at that level as a rookie.  Neither was Callahan.

Skrine's deal is more than likely an out in two deal with a favorable 2019 cap hit.  It's tough to lose a top DB but it happens and you tough it out.  I'm not a fan of Skrine either so we draft a Slot CB and sign another one or two as UDFAs and we find our next guy.  Callahan was priced out for us.

43 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Ok, i hope he works out for you.  I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just giving you my impressions.  

You weren't and this kind of input can help just as much as a look at metrics.

In this defense he may do far better but in the overall he's who we could afford in the way of an experienced Slot CB 'til we develop another.

Anyway, the die is cast.  On Wed. he becomes a Bears DB and we support him.

Not many talking heads or media types looking favorably on this signing either yet Nagy likes him and his metrics compare favorably with Callahan's. 

What are we missing?  Not that it's gonna make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

Looks like we had about $8.5-$9 mil gtd to spend on a Slot CB or maybe a little more and we all knew that wouldn't get it done.

Be interesting to see what kind of deals Callahan and Amos get.

14 minutes ago, ColGerBear said:

Buster Skrine had 20 flags for 212 yards agains him in the past 2 years. Bryce Callahan? 2 for 48 yards

Not good...but you get what you pay for and we simply can't pay for Callahan talent...in terms of the two year deal this really is it is good value for such an experienced player.

5 hours ago, soulman said:

Not many talking heads or media types looking favorably on this signing either yet Nagy likes him and his metrics compare favorably with Callahan's. 

What are we missing?  Not that it's gonna make a whole hell of a lot of difference.

Looks like we had about $8.5-$9 mil gtd to spend on a Slot CB or maybe a little more and we all knew that wouldn't get it done.

Be interesting to see what kind of deals Callahan and Amos get.

We aren't missing anything.  He isn't good.  Pace doesnt like holes going into drafts so this is most serviceable guy he could find in a certain price range.

He's just following his formula. He tries for base hits mostly in FA and tries for homeruns in draft. 

Mack deal is a one off that doesn't fit any category.  

I actually dig this signing.  Callahan was a good player for us and tremednous value for a UDFA, but he was far too inconsistent when it came to staying healthy, and I think that has a lot to do with his small stature.

Not as if Skrine is any bigger than he is, but at least he has shown more ability to stay healthy while also maintaining a relatively high level of play on the field.

If there's one thing I'm noticing about Pace though is that he's willing to let late round picks and UFDAs walk.  Already did it with Meredith last year and now Amos and Callahan.

My money says in a fair camp competition Skrine ends up depth.  

He is smaller, slower, and less physical than Tolliver and McMannis.

I really don't like that he doesn't really contribute in special teams or he didn't in games I watched.  

Archived