Cheifs close to deal with S Tyrann Mathieu 3 years 42 million

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, TedLavie said:

Steelers have been contenders year in and year out for a decade.

Green Bay has been pretty close to that before the last two years too.

I agree Mahomes rookie contract gives us a chance to be aggressive to optimize that SB window (and sign studs like Anthony Hitchens), but it's not because Mahomes is going to get paid that suddenly we'll regress to 9-7 every year. Especially in the post Brady world.

Green Bay is a good example of what the Chiefs may become. Rather limited and unable to surround their franchise guy with talent due to him being so dang expensive.

It was a fun run while it lasted - Honey Badger brought in an intensity, held people accountable for their actions and mistakes. He'll be missed, but Justin Reid really picked up some good habits from Mathieu. 

I'm thinking Houston will give Kareem Jackson a call, bring him in on the same deal that was offered to Mathieu ($9.5 AAV).

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just wonder how many notifications @MVPatrickMahomes15 must have by now.

I bet it’s a lot.

I can see it now...

"Well guys my source said a top tier S was coming in FA and I just assumed he meant Landon Collins...omgz I can't believe we got Mathieu!!! Even better!!! And my source was absolutely right!!!"9_9

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Have Pittsburgh or Green Bay won a Super Bowl since 2010? No. 

And again, in the post Brady/Manning world, teams like GB and PIT will have a better chance

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Green Bay is a good example of what the Chiefs may become. Rather limited and unable to surround their franchise guy with talent due to him being so dang expensive.

I think GB issues are more than ARod salary. Plus, when Mahomes gets to the 4th and 5th year of this deal, he will likely have less cap % attached to him than the more recently QBs signed every year.

Really, since 2010, there were "only" 3 teams winning with a QB on a rookie deal (Sea, Baltimore and Philly). Because your QB gets paid doesn't mean you're going to suddenly fall off the map. You just need to be smarter with your money (certainly smarter than what we're doing right now)

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure I totally understand this.  Committing $27M combined to your two starting safeties seems a tad heavy.  Last year, only 2 teams spent $20M+ on their safeties with Houston ($21M) and New England ($23M).

An unfortunate contract for Berry does not mean the Chiefs should not try to improve at S.

I've always liked Tyrann Mathieu.  He was really good in Arizona before his injury and a quality player for the Texans.  Considering all the massive amounts of baggage he had coming out of LSU, I'm really happy he has made it in the league and stayed clean.

1 minute ago, TedLavie said:

And again, in the post Brady/Manning world, teams like GB and PIT will have a better chance

I think GB issues are more than ARod salary. Plus, when Mahomes gets to the 4th and 5th year of this deal, he will likely have less cap % attached to him than the more recently QBs signed every year.

Really, since 2010, there were "only" 3 teams winning with a QB on a rookie deal (Sea, Baltimore and Philly). Because your QB gets paid doesn't mean you're going to suddenly fall off the map. You just need to be smarter with your money (certainly smarter than what we're doing right now)

Since 2012 it’s been 3 QBs on Rookie Deals, 3 times with Tom Brady on a paycut, and Peyton Manning with a Top 15 Defense in history. 

I like Mathieu, but think he has become overrated because he's so marketable. He's one of the most recognisable defensive players in the NFL. He's an above average player, sure, but don't see why Chiefs went in for him at those terms. I wouldn't have thought he would have been in the conversation for them, either, much more pressing concerns! 

2 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

I like Mathieu, but think he has become overrated because he's so marketable. He's one of the most recognisable defensive players in the NFL. He's an above average player, sure, but don't see why Chiefs went in for him at those terms. I wouldn't have thought he would have been in the conversation for them, either, much more pressing concerns! 

S was probably the biggest problem on our roster last year. Either S or ILB.

Archived