2019 Free Agency V2

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

Just now, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Didn’t he suck last year?

He was above average. I think PFF rated him 14th in most categories which isn’t terrible. He’s an excellent coverage free safety which is what we need though. I think that’s where he gets most of the hate. He’s not great in run defense and not great in man coverage but he’s excellent in zone, excellent in single high, solid playmaker, and has sideline to sideline speed. He’s the very specific safety we’ve needed for a while. 10M is pretty cheap considering what all the other safeties are going for. 

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

HaHa at 3 years 30M I think would be a decent deal, especially with all the guaranteed money in the first two years. 

Mosley/Hicks/Bell I think are going to be way too expensive for us to go after. 

I keep saying it: the Raiders don't need a starting safety--especially not at a premium price.

I'm hoping for a starting edge and corner. I don't know if that's possible with how much money the Raiders have already committed. It also looks increasingly doubtful that Cook gets re-signed.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I keep saying it: the Raiders don't need a starting safety--especially not at a premium price.

I'm hoping for a starting edge and corner. I don't know if that's possible with how much money the Raiders have already committed. It also looks increasingly doubtful that Cook gets re-signed.

Not worried about corner. Conley and Worley were solid. 

FS we need someone whether it is Free Agency or the Draft. How do we not have a pressing need there?

Just now, BayRaider said:

FS we need someone whether it is Free Agency or the Draft. How do we not have a pressing need there?

First, I don't see how you could say Worley was solid. Even if you didn't closely watch him play, his numbers are bad:

Further, the Raiders need a competent starting slot corner.

Regarding safety: Erik Harris and Karl Joseph are a quality starting safety duo. Harris was particular good playing deep, providing this gem from the Bengals game:

I seriously think a lot of the talk about needs regarding the Raiders are based on pre-2018 season narratives. Watch the games; they tell the story.

• Like 1

Worley might not be the long term answer at CB but he definitely played better than any of our FS’s did at their position. We have been a disaster at FS for a long time. 

If we don’t sign a FS, hopefully we can address two positions in one pick. Gardner-Johnson plays both FS and NB at a high level. 

Edited by BayRaider

I watched the games....all 16. Harris was not good, an INT here and there doesn't change it. Can he continue to develop? Sure. But I feel like penciling him at starter is overconfident. The staff seems to agree with you since he got a pretty good contract, but I still think it needs addressed--good competition at a minimum...and I dont mean the corpse of Reggie Nelson....

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Worley might not be the long term answer at CB but he definitely played better than any of our FS’s did at their position. We have been a disaster at FS for a long time. 

If we don’t sign a FS, hopefully we can address two positions in one pick. Gardner-Johnson plays both FS and NB at a high level. 

I'm saying he definitely didn't. I'm saying Harris definitely played safety better than Worley played corner. That's why he got extended and Worley didn't

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Worley was ok. Hardly "Solid" don't know what games u saw. Worley is ok in slot with nelson but we need another cb.  I do agree we dont need high priced fa fs. We can draft one and have harris.

Just now, roi34 said:

Worley was ok. Hardly "Solid" don't know what games u saw. Worley is ok in slot with nelson but we need another cb.  I do agree we dont need high priced fa fs. We can draft one and have harris.

Worley barely, if ever, played in the slot. I really think his deficiencies are being undersold by the fanbase: he's a big-time liability at starting corner.

• Like 1