3 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

still think we could sign

• RB
  • TE
  • DE
  • OLB
  • CB

so we can go BPA in the draft.... I'm not saying break the bank but a few vets

It doesn't appear like we're going to address RB or TE in FA because we like some of the younger guys we already have. 

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

You're the only one who doesn't have respect for Trubisky! Trubisky 1 Frankie 0

LOL How do you figure?  In 2 season as the starter he has averaged 2700 yrds  15 Tds and 11 Ints.  Get the yellow jackets out HAHAHAHAHA

Trashbinski is an average at best game manager who rode an elite D to the playoffs.  How is that special?  

Let me guess, you think Trent Dilfer is an elite QB bc he won a super bowl.   Totally clueless...

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

I absolutely love the way our FO and Gruden have attacked this FA period. Have been on the sidelines just trying to keep up because I work too much. I was very skeptical at first with the AB situation then trade but he is no Javon Walker or JaMarcus. He has an amazing work ethic and wants to play. Then we go after more needs adding the big bodied threat at WR then safety then An OT (admitting we obviously need help with the 2 almost worse graded OTs we drafted) I like it wish we would address at least for depth purposes our biggest needs DE obviously and LB. I am very curious on how mayock attacks the draft 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

LOL How do you figure?  In 2 season as the starter he has averaged 2700 yrds  15 Tds and 11 Ints.  Get the yellow jackets out HAHAHAHAHA

Trashbinski is an average at best game manager who rode an elite D to the playoffs.  How is that special?  

Let me guess, you think Trent Dilfer is an elite QB bc he won a super bowl.   Totally clueless...

Don't throw out these garbage statistics, because year 1 he was a rookie and he clearly improved in year 2 throwing 24 tds to 12 ints went from completing 59% of his passes to 66%, plus nobody said he was special and your tired line of " let me guess if so and so won a super bowl then blah blah blah", we aren't talking about Trent Dilfer we are talking about Trubisky and he clearly took a 2nd year leap that you want to see from a young QB you called him garbage and he wasn't that, and we all saw him make play's in the playoffs and throughout the season. You're the clueless one!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, true2form said:

This.

Being competitive is all we can hope for this year. Not going to fix it all in one off-season.

It's also what we have been saying every season for years. 

The Raiders have got to have a short term plan as well as a long term. This nonsense about "now it's a 2 year rebuild/retool" is how we got so terrible to begin with. We spend year after year heading into the draft talking about "if we can hit this year and next" every single year. First it was Reggie is a cap genius, don't question him! All that cap and 1 winning season to show for it, and a team with more holes than a pasta strainer. 

While I totally agree that simply being competitive would be an improvement this year, we've got to expect more eventually. And this team's amazing ability to ignore the deficiencies on the front seven in favor of a bunch of shiny offensive players, especially with Gruden as head coach, isn't going to lead to that. Just ask Tampa. 

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Joyner played well last season just not at an elite level but didn't he move from a FS role to more of a slot CB role?

I have heard he can go between the two but is toast if you have him try to play single high.  Most Rams fans have said he did not play up to the expected level last year and his average over the 2 years is top 3 money for a FS and 11th for a CB.  I think he is a good player but we gave him to big of a contract for a player that regressed last year.

On 15/03/2019 at 8:13 PM, Rich7sena said:

It simply didn't appear edge was a priority this free agency for the Raiders.

It was always going to be interesting to see what type of DE Guenther would look for this off season and how highly he values DE. 

If his time at the Bengals is anything to go by it would suggest he likes his defense ends to play the run first and then have a good rotation at pass rushing. It’s no coincidence that last year Irvin was designated as a pass rusher only and kept off the field on base downs. 

I still think we will get at least 1 vet DE in before the draft, we can’t go into the draft with only Key and Mauro. As the market slows down, I’m hoping we can get Ansah,maybe a 1 year prove it deal,who is good against the run and can pass rush. He would appear to be a good fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

It was always going to be interesting to see what type of DE Guenther would look for this off season and how highly he values DE. 

If his time at the Bengals is anything to go by it would suggest he likes his defense ends to play the run first and then have a good rotation at pass rushing. It’s no coincidence that last year Irvin was designated as a pass rusher only and kept off the field on base downs. 

I still think we will get at least 1 vet DE in before the draft, we can’t go into the draft with only Key and Mauro. As the market slows down, I’m hoping we can get Ansah,maybe a 1 year prove it deal,who is good against the run and can pass rush. He would appear to be a good fit.

This is my thought too. It seems that the bengals ie Marvin Lewis valued its pass rush up the middle, which isn’t bad in the AFC West , Mahomes is the only mobile QB so the DEs don’t need to worry about containment as much. I think we as fans want to see another big time pass rusher like Mack, but i don’t think that pass rushers are valued as much. I might be wrong, but the draft will be very illuminating on this position. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's also what we have been saying every season for years. 

The Raiders have got to have a short term plan as well as a long term. This nonsense about "now it's a 2 year rebuild/retool" is how we got so terrible to begin with. We spend year after year heading into the draft talking about "if we can hit this year and next" every single year. First it was Reggie is a cap genius, don't question him! All that cap and 1 winning season to show for it, and a team with more holes than a pasta strainer. 

While I totally agree that simply being competitive would be an improvement this year, we've got to expect more eventually. And this team's amazing ability to ignore the deficiencies on the front seven in favor of a bunch of shiny offensive players, especially with Gruden as head coach, isn't going to lead to that. Just ask Tampa. 

Well yes, but when Gruden came it was a new start. This is the same for any team in the league that gets a new GM, new coaches, and new scheme's. We are beginning year two. I know it's difficult to go through rebuild after rebuild, but what choice do we have? If we get rid of Gruden, guess what will happen? This should not be a surprise to anyone at this point. Not saying anyone should like it.

As for the front seven, we are obviously not finished. I for one, would not have been happy with signing just about any of the free agents available. The handful that were good, broke the bank. I also don't think any of them were true fits for our scheme. 

Our focus in the draft should be on getting 2 DE, 1 LB, and 1 CB for our defense.  Main reason I don't think we touch QB or DT even though lots of fans are clamoring for guys at those positions. 

1 hour ago, true2form said:

Well yes, but when Gruden came it was a new start. This is the same for any team in the league that gets a new GM, new coaches, and new scheme's. We are beginning year two. I know it's difficult to go through rebuild after rebuild, but what choice do we have? If we get rid of Gruden, guess what will happen? This should not be a surprise to anyone at this point. Not saying anyone should like it.

As for the front seven, we are obviously not finished. I for one, would not have been happy with signing just about any of the free agents available. The handful that were good, broke the bank. I also don't think any of them were true fits for our scheme. 

Our focus in the draft should be on getting 2 DE, 1 LB, and 1 CB for our defense.  Main reason I don't think we touch QB or DT even though lots of fans are clamoring for guys at those positions. 

Absolutely. However, I think Gruden drafts another toy for Carr with one of the first 4 picks. If he does, I'm hoping it's Hockensen or Fant.

13 hours ago, Gannon12 said:

I like it wish we would address at least for depth purposes our biggest needs DE obviously and LB. I am very curious on how mayock attacks the draft 

Almost all of the top pass rushers were off the board before FA even started, it's almost impossible to acquire a good edge guy in FA now. I'm sure we would've loved to add a LB but the asking price on guys in FA this year was just simply too high. Barr got 5 yr/$68M, Mosley got 5 yr/$85M, and Alexander got 4 yr/$54M. I wouldn't pay that much for non-pass rushers. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, true2form said:

This.

Being competitive is all we can hope for this year. Not going to fix it all in one off-season.

Not going to fix it all in one off-season, But now you're relying on absolutely crushing the draft on defense to predicate your future into 2020 and beyond.