2019 Free Agency V2

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

12 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Cooks market has been slow, he could be back on a manageable deal. But it seems like our coaches like Darren Waller, Carrier, Bulter, Lee Smith TEs. 

The Waller, Butler, Smith trio is exactly the type of unit we need to work and be productive if this team is ever going to be highly successful. You can't sign a high end FA or throw a high round draft pick at every position of need, especially considering the turnover on players in this league. At some point this team will have to consistently get value out of players above their pay grade or draft position. 

I'm definitely an advocate of letting Cook leave. And possibly an advocate of drafting a high TE. But more than anything I'd be an advocate of Butler and Waller being productive good players in our passing game. Whether they are those guys is certainly up for debate. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, holyghost said:

The Waller, Butler, Smith trio is exactly the type of unit we need to work and be productive if this team is ever going to be highly successful. You can't sign a high end FA or throw a high round draft pick at every position of need, especially considering the turnover on players in this league. At some point this team will have to consistently get value out of players above their pay grade or draft position. 

I'm definitely an advocate of letting Cook leave. And possibly an advocate of drafting a high TE. But more than anything I'd be an advocate of Butler and Waller being productive good players in our passing game. Whether they are those guys is certainly up for debate. 

I agree. Once we signed Tyrell Williams, that all but ended Cook coming back. Tight end by committee is a solid strategy.

51 minutes ago, holyghost said:

I agree there was an article about how high Gruden was on Waller so maybe its his time!

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not going to fix it all in one off-season, But now you're relying on absolutely crushing the draft on defense to predicate your future into 2020 and beyond. 

This is my concern as well. We've had at least serviceable offenses numerous times. Our D has been consistently bad, and the few good players we've had have been sent packing. 

While I'm not entirely unhappy with the way FA has gone, we've yet again put ourselves in a position where we spent high on shiny offensive toys and are hoping that stop gap level talent on D will suffice. 

WR was a need, yes. Did we absolutely need Antonio Brown? No, but I won't complain. Tyrell Williams was a nice get, but did we need him? Probably not. Brown-Williams-Nelson would have been a nice trio, but we axed Nelson. Brown is a special talent to be sure. Williams is not. 

The draft is full of some pretty good recievers that could be landed on day 2. Brown-Nelson-Day 2 pick would have easily sufficed and not tied up as much money. Going after pricey WRs in FA wasn't necessary.

Our true needs- D-Line and LB aren't as deep in this class outside of the first round. We could have used some hot proven commodities there from FA and been in a much better spot. We absolutely cannot go into another year with our front seven being as absolutely terrible as they were last year, yet we're arguably going in with even less than last year. 

Making matters worse, Gruden has never been a draft and develop guy on D. Having a bunch of draft picks only works if they're used intelligently. Looking at last year's picks....I don't see how it gets better, given some of the obvious needs and how we blatantly ignored them. 

We spent on luxury and now need to crush the draft on D. Any time you "need" to crush 1, much less 2 drafts, to expect to be competitive, you've already lost. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not going to fix it all in one off-season, But now you're relying on absolutely crushing the draft on defense to predicate your future into 2020 and beyond. 

Building through the draft is the best way to do it.

Something you would have done differently in free agency? Overpay someone? Trade?

38 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This is my concern as well. We've had at least serviceable offenses numerous times. Our D has been consistently bad, and the few good players we've had have been sent packing. 

While I'm not entirely unhappy with the way FA has gone, we've yet again put ourselves in a position where we spent high on shiny offensive toys and are hoping that stop gap level talent on D will suffice. 

WR was a need, yes. Did we absolutely need Antonio Brown? No, but I won't complain. Tyrell Williams was a nice get, but did we need him? Probably not. Brown-Williams-Nelson would have been a nice trio, but we axed Nelson. Brown is a special talent to be sure. Williams is not. 

The draft is full of some pretty good recievers that could be landed on day 2. Brown-Nelson-Day 2 pick would have easily sufficed and not tied up as much money. Going after pricey WRs in FA wasn't necessary.

Our true needs- D-Line and LB aren't as deep in this class outside of the first round. We could have used some hot proven commodities there from FA and been in a much better spot. We absolutely cannot go into another year with our front seven being as absolutely terrible as they were last year, yet we're arguably going in with even less than last year. 

Making matters worse, Gruden has never been a draft and develop guy on D. Having a bunch of draft picks only works if they're used intelligently. Looking at last year's picks....I don't see how it gets better, given some of the obvious needs and how we blatantly ignored them. 

We spent on luxury and now need to crush the draft on D. Any time you "need" to crush 1, much less 2 drafts, to expect to be competitive, you've already lost. 

I don't disagree with what your saying. However, I need specifics. Saying we need to fix the defense is like saying water is wet.

What would you have done differently? From the way free agency played out, it was overpay, trade, or take flyers on potential for defense.

1 hour ago, true2form said:

What would you have done differently? 

Preston Smith would probably prefer most of his contract in Vegas 13 mil avg

Would have offered Barr and Mosley 12 each but after them leaving Collins 8

HaHa 3.5 mil for 1 year...is a great deal. Collins at 10 he'd laff at but jumped on HaHa for the 1 year. Joyner not worth 10

At 13 mil I would have went after Lev Bell. 16-18 was what I thought he'd want. Don't expect much this season but rotated and kept fresh would pay dividends long term

Rather kept our 3rd as it was a high pick and given them two 4ths for WR Brown.

Brown is up and coming at Tackle but 16 yikes...At least an easy out in two years if it doesn't work out.

Fitz getting 2 years $11 million is a good deal.  I would have signed him to that deal without hesitation.  McCarron is not worth $5 million but a backup that will come in and win you a few games is.  Good for the Dolphins.  Now they just need a QBOTF.

10 hours ago, true2form said:

Building through the draft is the best way to do it.

Something you would have done differently in free agency? Overpay someone? Trade?

I expected us to be able to spend big on 2 to 4 FA's. After we traded for AB i was kinda shocked to see us spend $44 million on another WR.  i would rather have us spend that money on either an edge or ILB. If we still end up with a Justin Houston and a Zach Brown then great, if we don't and go into the draft with a D grade at edge and ILB imo it hurts us a lot. 

• Like 1