2019 Free Agency V2

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

15 hours ago, true2form said:

Building through the draft is the best way to do it.

Something you would have done differently in free agency? Overpay someone? Trade?

Would have a least signed one veteran DE. Not a huge fan of golden, But he was dirt cheap to the Giants and the Raiders bowed out. Z Smith seemed like a versatile scheme fit.

If they can get a guy like Houston, Ansah On a one-year deal, I would be fine. I just don't want to see them go into the season relying on rookies and second your players to make a jump. Tried that and failed last year

I would like to see the raiders sign a DE on a short deal maybe one year 8/9 fully guaranteed with a team option second year deal at the 15 million range, I would offer that to ansah and Houston.  Ideally you would get both but one would be a huge help 

Edited by Jono77

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Would have a least signed one veteran DE. Not a huge fan of golden, But he was dirt cheap to the Giants and the Raiders bowed out. Z Smith seemed like a versatile scheme fit.

If they can get a guy like Houston, Ansah On a one-year deal, I would be fine. I just don't want to see them go into the season relying on rookies and second your players to make a jump. Tried that and failed last year

Ok. Just checking.  Z Smith was my favorite of the edge players available, but even he was a part timer in Baltimore.

For me, there just wasn't much to get excited about from a front 7 standpoint in free agency.  If we had over paid for one of the LBs I would not have been happy.  Not a fan of signing guys that don't fit, just to fill a position.  You can do that in June or August if you have to.

Houston or Ansah would be nice to add.  Not sure how much you can rely on either of them, but at least we shouldn't need to make a long term investment in them.

Guess I just want guys to say what they would do and not just make blanket statements.  Sign defense! Trade Carr!  What's the full plan please?

5 minutes ago, true2form said:

Ok. Just checking.  Z Smith was my favorite of the edge players available, but even he was a part timer in Baltimore.

For me, there just wasn't much to get excited about from a front 7 standpoint in free agency.  If we had over paid for one of the LBs I would not have been happy.  Not a fan of signing guys that don't fit, just to fill a position.  You can do that in June or August if you have to.

Houston or Ansah would be nice to add.  Not sure how much you can rely on either of them, but at least we shouldn't need to make a long term investment in them.

Guess I just want guys to say what they would do and not just make blanket statements.  Sign defense! Trade Carr!  What's the full plan please?

Blanket statements are made for blanket issues. 

What I would have done differently though:

Got Brown, no need to overpay a WR as we already had Brown, Jordy, Draft Pick. Plenty of reliable, cheaper options at WR still out there to round out the WR corps, and we signed JJ Nelson. Tyrell was a luxury expenditure while numerous positions of need were still on the table. 

Either Preston Smith or Z'Darius Smith would've been solid gets if we wanted to spend big. Golden went dirt cheap. Shaq Barrett went dirt cheap. Are Golden and Barrett "just guys"? Maybe. But if they're just guys, Josh Mauro is? There are other guys that could be worth looking at, if only to fill needs on the front seven, that come fairly cheap- Datone Jones, Danny Shelton. Allen Bailey and Justin Houston could still be a bit pricier options as well. 

Serviceable linebackers (which we absolutely do not have) such as Jake Ryan went for cheap as well. Brandon Marshall, Jamie Collins, Zach Brown all would be upgrades and are still available, yet I've heard very little (again) from the Raiders regarding Linebackers. 

Bradley Roby and Jason Verrett may not set the world on fire, but they're both upgrades to our overall CB unit. They went cheap as well.

Joyner was far too expensive, in my opinion. I think there were equitable fits and talent levels out there that wouldn't have cost >$10m/yr: Illoka, Boston, HaHa

All of the guys listed throughout here (and more) fill needs we had coming into FA. Most of those that already signed elsewhere went for cheap. The majority are still available, but are starting to scratch the bottom of the barrel in terms of talent level if we're being candid. You say you don't want to overspend, but that is exactly what we did anyway with Joyner and Williams (other S's available, we had Jordy), and now we're stuck reaching for guys to plug the front-7, hoping that draft picks (Hello, Mario Edwards, Eddie Vanderdoes, Jihad Ward, Shilique Calhoun) can fill those gaps even remotely effectively.

It's simple economics: we overspent on WR, where there is a fairly robust market both in FA and the Draft, and ignored our greatest needs, which coincidentally have a fairly weak market. The draft is extremely top heavy with LBs and DEs, but if we're being realistic, we have a shot at 1, maybe 2, of them. The talent level at EDGE, DT, DE, and LB falls off dramatically much quicker than that of the WR class. We backed ourselves into a corner where the only way out is more mediocrity. It is what it is, sure, but the problem is that it didn't HAVE to be. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Blanket statements are made for blanket issues. 

What I would have done differently though:

Got Brown, no need to overpay a WR as we already had Brown, Jordy, Draft Pick. Plenty of reliable, cheaper options at WR still out there to round out the WR corps, and we signed JJ Nelson. Tyrell was a luxury expenditure while numerous positions of need were still on the table. 

Either Preston Smith or Z'Darius Smith would've been solid gets if we wanted to spend big. Golden went dirt cheap. Shaq Barrett went dirt cheap. Are Golden and Barrett "just guys"? Maybe. But if they're just guys, Josh Mauro is? There are other guys that could be worth looking at, if only to fill needs on the front seven, that come fairly cheap- Datone Jones, Danny Shelton. Allen Bailey and Justin Houston could still be a bit pricier options as well. 

Serviceable linebackers (which we absolutely do not have) such as Jake Ryan went for cheap as well. Brandon Marshall, Jamie Collins, Zach Brown all would be upgrades and are still available, yet I've heard very little (again) from the Raiders regarding Linebackers. 

Bradley Roby and Jason Verrett may not set the world on fire, but they're both upgrades to our overall CB unit. They went cheap as well.

Joyner was far too expensive, in my opinion. I think there were equitable fits and talent levels out there that wouldn't have cost >$10m/yr: Illoka, Boston, HaHa

All of the guys listed throughout here (and more) fill needs we had coming into FA. Most of those that already signed elsewhere went for cheap. The majority are still available, but are starting to scratch the bottom of the barrel in terms of talent level if we're being candid. You say you don't want to overspend, but that is exactly what we did anyway with Joyner and Williams (other S's available, we had Jordy), and now we're stuck reaching for guys to plug the front-7, hoping that draft picks (Hello, Mario Edwards, Eddie Vanderdoes, Jihad Ward, Shilique Calhoun) can fill those gaps even remotely effectively.

It's simple economics: we overspent on WR, where there is a fairly robust market both in FA and the Draft, and ignored our greatest needs, which coincidentally have a fairly weak market. The draft is extremely top heavy with LBs and DEs, but if we're being realistic, we have a shot at 1, maybe 2, of them. The talent level at EDGE, DT, DE, and LB falls off dramatically much quicker than that of the WR class. We backed ourselves into a corner where the only way out is more mediocrity. It is what it is, sure, but the problem is that it didn't HAVE to be. 

I appreciate all of that. Thanks for taking the time.

I understand the logic on both sides.  We had/have needs pretty much everywhere, so I didn't expect to fill them all.  I'm not a huge fan of Williams or Joyner for the record.  We had a need at both positions, but we could have addressed for cheaper or in the draft as you stated.

Like I said before, I wasn't excited for anyone in the front 7 that was available.  Anyone we signed would be an overpay imo. Whether that was LB or DL.  Adding Zach Brown and Ziggy Ansah, is just as good as signing Preston Smith and CJ Mosely in my eyes. Except they're going to be a lot cheaper. Maybe the staff sees it the same way that I do.  Why overpay for players that they really don't like for our scheme just to fill holes?  Sign similar guys for cheaper and draft guys that they really think will fit for us.

The biggest thing to remember is that we are not done. Free agency is not over.  A lot of smaller moves can be made in the next 5 weeks leading up to the draft.

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't hate it if the price is right, but hasn't he been pretty meh over the past couple seasons?

Yea, others are saying he's taken a big step back after his PED stuff. Also is a head case with injury concerns. However we can't be picky, we need bodies at MLB.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't hate it if the price is right, but hasn't he been pretty meh over the past couple seasons?

Burfect is a baller when on the field and is only 28.  I would sign him if the price is right as he is a major upgrade over what we currently have.  

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Golden has 2.5 sacks the last two seasons combined and looks like a shell of his former self. The Cardinals need another pass rusher almost as bad as us and let him walk, that tells you something about him. 

Za'Darius Smith could've been a good fit but I'd be skeptical to play a rotational player big bucks and expect him to be a good full-time guy here. 

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

20 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Vontaze played outside with the Bengals. Still would need a MLB, but his talent would be much needed on this defense. 

33 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I bet we look at Burfict.

28 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Would be shocked if we didn’t. Seems like a logical fit. 

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

25 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yea, others are saying he's taken a big step back after his PED stuff. Also is a head case with injury concerns. However we can't be picky, we need bodies at MLB.

24 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Burfect is a baller when on the field and is only 28.  I would sign him if the price is right as he is a major upgrade over what we currently have.  

F Burfict.

He is one major things that is wrong with the game and why MLB and SS couldn't get real pay days for a few years.

Plus it would fracture the offense and defense. Guys would have to take sides.