Jump to content
Nickpeloso17

Mock half way through FA

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

lol the Lions sign a guy to complete their defensive line so you have them trade up to draft a defensive lineman. Doesn't make sense. Have them trade down instead, that's more realistic. They won't be drafting an IDL in round one, and the only chance they draft an EDGE that early is if it's Josh Allen or Brian Burns, and even then it would be as a hybrid LB/EDGE position which wouldn't really fit Burns.

I completely disagree with this. The Lions needed way more help on the DL than just Flowers, still do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, with Quinnen Williams still on the board hopefully we got a haul in return for that trade back. I do like that we got Devin White though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I completely disagree with this. The Lions needed way more help on the DL than just Flowers, still do

Trey Flowers and Romeo Okwara are at end. Damon Harrison and A'Shawn Robinson are at NT. Da'shawn Hand is at DT. They need a backup DT. That's it. They could use extra help on the EDGE, but they're set on starters on the DL and need one backup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Trey Flowers and Romeo Okwara are at end. Damon Harrison and A'Shawn Robinson are at NT. Da'shawn Hand is at DT. They need a backup DT. That's it. They could use extra help on the EDGE, but they're set on starters on the DL and need one backup. 

And you call that a complete NFL DL unit? I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

DE might be too much of a luxury at this point in the draft for the Vikes. MN currently has no answer at OG with the release of Remmers and Compton and Easton remain unsigned. Interior OL has to be the pick and they need two (I'd lean towards Bradbury while moving Elflein to G).

Pretty strong argument could be made for a 3T too with Richardson's departure. I'm usually all for pass rushers but Everson Griffen appears to be returning and Weatherly played pretty well as DE3.

Edited by vikingsrule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Superduperman said:

And you call that a complete NFL DL unit? I don't.

Well, the Lions will. So... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Well, the Lions will. So... 

They'd be foolish to think that way, but God knows it wouldn't be the first time, or the million and first

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

They'd be foolish to think that way, but God knows it wouldn't be the first time, or the million and first

They run a 3 man defensive line. They have 3 damn good starters and two damn good backups. Spending a top 10 pick on a backup would be the foolish move. You don't spend a top 10 pick on a guy who will see 30% of the snaps or relegate a high level player to seeing only 30% or less of the snaps. This team could use additional help at linebacker or on the EDGE, but those aren't defensive line positions in this defense, those are linebacker positions. You don't load up with 10 defensive lineman when you only run 5 to 6 in the rotation, that's just a waste of resources. A day 3 pick would make sense on the DL to backup Da'shawn Hand. A top 10 pick would be ridiculous (and it won't happen, so it's not worth arguing for) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hand IS the backup... or would be on a legit NFL defensive line. Okwara too.

The Lions have two players who could start on the DL for most teams. Snacks, a NT run stopper, and Flowers, a versatile, strong DE whose pass rush ability is solid but limited.

They have no interior pass rush, no speed rushers, and no depth as long as Okwara and Hand, who should be your depth players, are expected to be first stringers in their roles.

I'm counting edge players as DE because what else are they in the Lions scheme? Not linebackers!

If they go into the season with Okwara as a starting DE, they will get what they always get when they rely on some guy who got a handful of sacks in part time duty, like Kerry Hyder, George Johnson, and many others going back thru the years. That guy will get hurt, or drop off, and end up with 4.5 sacks while our pass rush once again ranks in the 20s because we dont have legit NFL pass rushers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, IDOG_det said:

They run a 3 man defensive line. They have 3 damn good starters and two damn good backups. Spending a top 10 pick on a backup would be the foolish move. You don't spend a top 10 pick on a guy who will see 30% of the snaps or relegate a high level player to seeing only 30% or less of the snaps. This team could use additional help at linebacker or on the EDGE, but those aren't defensive line positions in this defense, those are linebacker positions. You don't load up with 10 defensive lineman when you only run 5 to 6 in the rotation, that's just a waste of resources. A day 3 pick would make sense on the DL to backup Da'shawn Hand. A top 10 pick would be ridiculous (and it won't happen, so it's not worth arguing for) 

I've heard that A'Shawn is likely to not be back next season. I'm not thrilled with the trade up but would we not look at Q. Williams if he's sitting there at #8? Trade Robinson to get something in return to a team in need of help stopping the run game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I've heard that A'Shawn is likely to not be back next season. I'm not thrilled with the trade up but would we not look at Q. Williams if he's sitting there at #8? Trade Robinson to get something in return to a team in need of help stopping the run game?

A'Shawn is a 2020 free agent. They'll try to re-sign him next offseason or sign him to an extension this offseason. If Quinnen is there at #8 they would more than likely use it as an opportunity to trade down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

A'Shawn is a 2020 free agent. They'll try to re-sign him next offseason or sign him to an extension this offseason. If Quinnen is there at #8 they would more than likely use it as an opportunity to trade down

Exactly - he'll be on the roster this season (otherwise he'd be a FA right now) but likely out for the 2020 season. If we can take one of the top 3 elite guys in the draft (Bosa and Allen considered to be the other two) and address what will be a need, why would we not do that? I'd take Q. Williams and a 5th over Robinson for 1 more season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Karnage84 said:

Exactly - he'll be on the roster this season (otherwise he'd be a FA right now) but likely out for the 2020 season. If we can take one of the top 3 elite guys in the draft (Bosa and Allen considered to be the other two) and address what will be a need, why would we not do that? I'd take Q. Williams and a 5th over Robinson for 1 more season.

Because it isn't really a need. A'Shawn is a backup to Damon Harrison. If they lose him, then they lose him, but they'll still have Harrison and Hand as their starters. You don't spend a 1st round pick on a backup, especially when they have needs at RG, CB, TE, and LB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IDOG_det said:

Because it isn't really a need. A'Shawn is a backup to Damon Harrison. If they lose him, then they lose him, but they'll still have Harrison and Hand as their starters. You don't spend a 1st round pick on a backup, especially when they have needs at RG, CB, TE, and LB.

Can you breakdown the defensive front, especially now with Flowers on the roster? Ourlads.com has the Lions in a base 4-3 (I know we're 'multiple') with Hand backing up Flowers, Robinson and Harrison as starters at DT and Okawara as DE starter opposite of Flowers.

I know you've mentioned that you wouldn't be fond of a guy like Devin White coming in as well. I'm not thrilled with Okawara being relied upon as a starting end. That sounds like more of what we've done in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×