Raiders sign S Lamarcus Joyner

49erurtaza

Just now, jrry32 said:

Joyner was great in 2017. I'm a big fan of the guy. But he didn't play well in 2018. And he can frustrate you when he is left alone deep on a WR. 

What does he excel at? I remember him coming out and how he was always around the ball making plays. 

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

better not be as much as landon collins or even mathieu for the Raiders sake but prob will be just a mil off annually

oh well

not that they cant use the help at free safety but they might as well draft one this year cuz there are a number of solid ones in their range and joyner isnt all that special

Depends how you use him.  He really can't play single-high to save his life.  He'll collect the odd INT there, sure, but he really doesn't give you a great last line of defense for the position - certainly not for that kind of money.  I can't remember does Guenther play his safeties stacked (one in the box, one up high) or staggered (somewhat interchangeable with one in the box and the other dropping down to man-up on slot receivers and TE's)?

Just now, The LBC said:

Depends how you use him.  He really can't play single-high to save his life.  He'll collect the odd INT there, sure, but he really doesn't give you a great last line of defense for the position - certainly not for that kind of money.  I can't remember does Guenther play his safeties stacked (one in the box, one up high) or staggered (somewhat interchangeable with one in the box and the other dropping down to man-up on slot receivers and TE's)?

Staggered. Both Safety's are asked to do a lot of different things.

I like this deal compared to others if you use Joyner right. He frustrated me so much last year and am glad we are moving on but he's still a really good player. 

Had the NRC penalty been called Joyner would be the guy remembered for blowing the deep pass to Ginn. 

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

What does he excel at? I remember him coming out and how he was always around the ball making plays. 

Covering WR's who are quick and shifty and not able to body him and RB's.  He was part (not all) of the reason we were getting torched by TE's for a good part of last season.  We would send Littleton because we weren't getting the level of EDGE pressure we wanted and LMJ would often have to deal with the TE and guys could just body him out like a power forward in the paint.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Reliable tackler, covers the slot well for a safety, good in C-2 or C-4, plays well in the box, good blitzer. He has the range as a single-high, but he doesn't track the ball well. His issues tracking the ball lead to him getting PI calls or completely misplaying the ball (and allowing the WR to catch a pass that should have been intercepted). For example, see:

On that play, there's two acceptable outcomes. Joyner knocks down, or Joyner intercepts it. But he takes very conservative angles to the ball and tries to play through the back of the WR too often. It leads to PIs and long catches. Guy needs to be more aggressive.

Just now, The LBC said:

Covering WR's who are quick and shifty and not able to body him and RB's.  He was part (not all) of the reason we were getting torched by TE's for a good part of last season.  We would send Littleton because we weren't getting the level of EDGE pressure we wanted and LMJ would often have to deal with the TE and guys could just body him out like a power forward in the paint.

Sounds a lot like Joseph. I still like it a lot. In his prime, has shown elite play before and is a major position of need. We were rocking Reggie Nelson and Marcus Gilchrist for god sakes haha.

Archived