Raiders sign Lamarcus Joyner

agarcia34

6 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Soooo about Harris? @Rich7sena lol

Not a fan of the move obviously—especially since in continues to put the Raiders out of range of a starting edge guy in free agency.

I have to imagine Joyner starts alongside Joseph in base and then plays slot in nickel like Gilchrist did at the end of the year. In that case Harris would still play a bunch of snaps as a nickel safety.

In that case, I hate it less.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

Not a fan of the move obviously—especially since in continues to put the Raiders out of range of a starting edge guy in free agency.

I have to imagine Joyner starts alongside Joseph in base and then plays slot in nickel like Gilchrist did at the end of the year. In that case Harris would still play a bunch of snaps as a nickel safety.

In that case, I hate it less.

To be fair, if Joyner plays some nickel we could see Harris more at FS. $10M is too much for my liking but if he has good versatility to play some corner it not only makes better sense financially but allows for more packages like getting Harris on the field. Harris has size, one thing Joyner definitely does not.

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Joyner is a Nickel/FS hybrid who’s pretty good in coverage but to be fair I honestly haven’t watched him nearly as much as the other safetys available. 

Let’s get @jrry32 and @El ramster in here to give us a breakdown. 

Great locker room guy, tough as nails, reliable tackler, good in the box (blitzes well and will stop the run), covers the slot well for a safety, and is good as a C-2 or C-4 safety. Just don't play him as a single-high FS. He's too conservative with his angles and doesn't track the ball well. He has range, but he has a tendency to play it too safe and then has to try and play through the back of the WR. It leads to catches and DPI on plays that should have been picked.

Thanks for the break down jrry.

If he’s not good at Single High then he will probably be 4-3 Base FS and Slot Corner in the Nickel. Although I could certainly see him playing FS on some nickel snaps as well. 

All in all, this definitey improves our team. Super excited. 

So basically Erik Harris will still be in quite a lot of snaps at FS in Nickel although he won’t see the field during 4-3. So @Rich7sena isn’t totally wrong on his analysis. 

All I know is Erik Harris got a little too much praise for certain plays and wasn’t that good and we needed a true FS. Both will see snaps, but Joyner will always be on the field. 

Archived