Raiders sign Lamarcus Joyner

agarcia34

Another move im a big fan of. And another guy thats a proven football player, in their prime, with the ability to have their best football in front of them. Another guy that gives us a ton of versatility (like Brown and Brown with their abilities to play any WR spot and left or right tackle). Seems to be the theme. Get veterans that know how to play at the NFL level and can be productive but also not old or past their prime. It seems like a nice balance between Grudens love for veterans and long term outloook. Maybe Chucky is more adaptable or perhaps Mayock is just a steadying presence. But its hard to not be excited about this offseason so far. Joyner might actually be my favorite move, hes 28, he excels in coverage which is solely needed on the backed of our defense and in the current NFL period, he has versatility to play safety or slot corner where we have been susceptible, and he has experience playing on some good teams the past couple of years. He knows what it takes to win, hes productive, and he could still be a high impact player for the next 5 years. Thats a good signing IMO. With him, Conley, KJ, Harris, we have a nice little core of guys in the secondary. If Conley takes a step forward like i believe he can and we can add to the trenches to provide a reliable pass rush we could be in business. And like others have mentioned were setting ourselves up nicely to be able to attack the draft however we see fit. We obviously still have a bunch of needs but the more quality players we are able to bring it at positions of need the more freedom we have in the draft, and with 4 picks in the first 35 thats a fantastic situation to put ourselves in. 

I have been a little confused through Grudens first season not totally sure of what the plan was, or if there was a plan, but I the start of this offseason is making me think Mayock was a fantastic hire, and Gruden may have realized we needed to take a step back to take multiple steps forward. Time will tell, but these moves have all been encouraging to me. 

50 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

FS been a huge weakness since Woodson retired.. Had bums like Nelson, and Gilchrist with no range getting abused...  Joseph might be on the trade block, idk if its smart to have two short safeties

I agree Joseph could still be on the block

Just now, OG_C2X said:

I like it. Still want a CB in the first 4 picks. Or Roby.

I think he will cost too much. I for one hope we slow down the "big" signings. Brown, Brown and Joyner is accounting for lot of money. I think/hope we are out on Bell now and go for some of the tier 2-4 FA's.

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think he will cost too much. I for one hope we slow down the "big" signings. Brown, Brown and Joyner is accounting for lot of money. I think/hope we are out on Bell now and go for some of the tier 2-4 FA's.

Lets go all in. Resign cook for 9. Cut penn and roberts to get 11Mil back. Give Bell for 16mil and then ride the rest of FA out on a high. Lets nail the draft 3 defensive players and N. Harry. And lets win the West. Screw Mahommes and Hill. Gruden got this. 

Lolz

57 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I would rather sign a vet CB... Nick Nelson would have been a 2nd rounder if he wasn't hurt  before the draft

I'm not a fan of this move...and I quite like Joyner as a player.

We have had troubles against TEs since I can remember, we have Kelce and Hunter in our division and we bring in a 5'8 S to pair with out own 5'10 guy?!?! Really?!

Joyner is a really good fit as a cover 2 or cover 4 S (and we use those coverages a lot) and he can be a solid NCB for us too. He is basically a much better version of Gilchrist for us, but I still can't see this Smurf Starting Safety tandem working well. 

Erik Harris should have a solid rotational role as S when Joyner is at CB and also possibly Harris can be a TE guard even from LB spot if we can't upgrade the LB spot enough...

Archived