Broncos to sign former Dolphins OT JaWaun James

Dr LBC

Not a bad signing for Denver considering how thin the T market was. It was a foregone conclusion that Miami would not be matching the offers he'd be getting on the open market so this is no surprise to most.

Like others have said, Ja'Wuan has been a mainstay at RT since getting drafted but his main issue is consistency. Some games he'd be able to stuff guys like Khalil Mack in large part and then the next game he'd get blown up every other snap and get called for 2-3 penalties. He's still young tho, if Munchak can work a little bit of magic I could easily see James becoming a top 7-8 RT in the league.

Nothing against the player, but I think most of the fans would rather have the comp 3rd round pick than sign James at that contract.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Maybe it's just me, but this almost seems downright reasonable

I'm the opposite.  Just shows that you have to draft your OL.  That makes him the highest paid RT in the league by almost $2M.  And if he's playing LT, he's a top 8 paid LT.  No thanks.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm the opposite.  Just shows that you have to draft your OL.  That makes him the highest paid RT in the league by almost $2M.  And if he's playing LT, he's a top 8 paid LT.  No thanks.

Was thinking more along the lines of just what's been given out today. I would agree that preference is the draft, particularly at tackle. I've been spoiled with Staley so long and below market value

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Was thinking more along the lines of just what's been given out today. I would agree that preference is the draft, particularly at tackle. I've been spoiled with Staley so long and below market value

I'd sooner have paid Trent Brown what the Raiders did then what the Broncos just did.  4 years, $66M with $36M guaranteed (55% guaranteed) as opposed to 4 years, $52M with $32M guaranteed (62% guaranteed).  Brown's deal is essentially a two year deal.  So unless the Broncos structure it similarly, there's long term cap implications for Denver.

Archived