Broncos to sign former Dolphins OT JaWaun James

Dr LBC

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd sooner have paid Trent Brown what the Raiders did then what the Broncos just did.  4 years, $66M with $36M guaranteed (55% guaranteed) as opposed to 4 years, $52M with $32M guaranteed (62% guaranteed).  Brown's deal is essentially a two year deal.  So unless the Broncos structure it similarly, there's long term cap implications for Denver.

This is my issue with the contract too.  I generally don't have issue with a lot of the big ticket free agent deals given out because, for the most part, they get structured in such a way that the player is out on the street again in by Y3 after the majority of the guarantees have run out.  It's not pretty, but it's effectively using free agency the way it should be used - given that the way it's structured nowadays the guys who should are truly deserving of being paid like the Top 5 at their respective positions never hit the open market.  The only thing I'm not a fan of is that it ends up driving the contracts up when it comes time to pay the guys who really deserve those figures that it ends up costing the role-players who can really glue a roster together longevity in their contracts because they get axed to make sure those extra couple million are there to get the elite contract guys to the "top paid at their position" values.

Regardless of pay, the Broncos have been chasing James for the last 2 seasons hoping to sign him. They now got their chance and paid.

As a person that believes your offense will only go as far as your QB/OL will take them, this is a move in the right direction. 

....now about trading up for Haskins. Lets talk

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The RT carousel finally ends. Schofield, Stephenson, Sambrailo, Watson, Veldheer (actually decent, just constantly hurt). That's why they were willing to pay up. 

Daryl Williams is still available. He was an all-pro in 2017.

Just now, minutemancl said:

He's been #1 on Giants fans wishlists for months now. There's a connection there, since Gettleman drafted him.

Makes sense. One of the few teams that understands right tackle hell as well as the Broncos. You might have to pay a premium to get out of it, but it's probably worth it. 

Archived