Browns to sign DT Sheldon Richardson

zelbell

DT was the one spot I think most folks would say we had a glaring need.  That’s resolved now.

I hope Dorsey lets the rest of the nonsense happen and gets back involved when there may be some deals to be had, but there’s no need to continue signing players to these deals.

That’s a lot to commit but if he plays well, it’s a good and necessary signing. With 2-3 years committed there though, I think it definitely negates us homing in on DT in round 1 though, unless it’s an obvious BPA. 

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

That’s a lot to commit but if he plays well, it’s a good and necessary signing. With 2-3 years committed there though, I think it definitely negates us homing in on DT in round 1 though, unless it’s an obvious BPA. 

Only thing we have to worry about is the money only being there for no more than 3 years. 

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

I think that’s really the goal, eliminate need as a factor come draft day.

BPA always.

Suddenly we have some really quality depth along the front four and a scary starting four. Myles G., Larry O., Richardson, and Vernon starting with Ogbah, Avery, Price, Coley, Thomas, and likely draft picks as depth and rotational guys? We are looking pretty solid. I like this move. Being perfectly honest, I think Myles and Larry will be a positive influence on Richardson as well, and he will thrive in a three technique role (where he likes to play). He will retain his aggression, but the fun that Myles and Larry display when they play, I think will be infectious to Richardson and Vernon as well.

Does the money really matter much? Genuine question as I don’t know much about the cap etc.

But I would’ve thought you could cut him after two years no problem. And until then, we’ve got a bunch of studs on rookie deals and we should just try to take advantage of that now.

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

i dunno.  a trio of ogunjobi richardson and ed oliver would cause havoc

they did say this class was deep on DL tho so they could go multiple in the later rounds

i dont hate it, its likely a 2 year deal lets be honest, and then they'll sign ogunjobi at the end of his 4th year.  or maybe not who knows.

I can't help but make a few positive observations:

1. Hopefully we can walk away after 2020 with a minimal cap hit (that looks to be the case).

2. It definitely addresses a need. Even mediocre Sheldon is twice as good as anyone else we had.

3. We got better today. Baltimore and Pittsburgh have gotten worse.

4. Dorsey has set us up for legit BPA at 17 without anymore "glaring holes" to address headed into the draft.

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

True, our DT room is still bleh outside of Ogunjobi and Richardson, I think we still go hard to reshape that room

Archived