Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

2 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I can't wait to see pressure from the edges, Im also looking forward to not seeing Clay lose contain as the QB or RB go right past him.

Agree entirely with this as well. Its long past due.

From the edges - combined with up the middle - you know, like how other dominant DLs do it?
Cut down the QBs vacation time in the pocket (?) - cut our secondary some slack? Works for me all the way 'round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Agree entirely with this as well. Its long past due.

From the edges - combined with up the middle - you know, like how other dominant DLs do it?
Cut down the QBs vacation time in the pocket (?) - cut our secondary some slack? Works for me all the way 'round.

We could really see a huge jump in secondary play or perceived play, the defense should be able to generate pressure forcing balls out faster which of course makes it easier for the DB's to Cover, my concern in the ILB, Perhaps JJ is going to be that guy but whoever it is will have to cover because offenses are going to target the underneath routes if the pressure is that persistent.

3 minutes ago, Reaper said:

We could really see a huge jump in secondary play or perceived play, the defense should be able to generate pressure forcing balls out faster which of course makes it easier for the DB's to Cover, my concern in the ILB, Perhaps JJ is going to be that guy but whoever it is will have to cover because offenses are going to target the underneath routes if the pressure is that persistent.

Correct. To some degree at least - it will shorten the field cause the ball will have to come out faster. In theory at least - could promote more man 2 man / press - hit & delay the WR at the LOS - as opposed to playing off and chasing back into/thru zones..... More aggressive all they way around - the way I like it. But it comes down to personnel. You've got to have a loaded gun to shoot anything down.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 2

I don't think Za' Smith is really going to play as much edge as maybe we think.  I see him as a sub rusher DT who eats up almost all of lowry's snaps and a few of Mike Daniels' if we want to go a bit lighter.

Seems like a 3T with ability to play some edge in base, but when we're in nickle I think he will be inside.

I also wonder whether the improvement in pressure will be as substantial as we expect?  There have been some comparisons of the two guys to Perry:  biggish, run-containing guys who get some pressures and sacks, but there might not be all that many sacks, or non-stop pressure.  

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't think Za' Smith is really going to play as much edge as maybe we think.  I see him as a sub rusher DT who eats up almost all of lowry's snaps and a few of Mike Daniels' if we want to go a bit lighter.

Seems like a 3T with ability to play some edge in base, but when we're in nickle I think he will be inside.

I don’t know who has been paying attention thinks that he’ll be playing only/majority edge? He didnt in baltimore and za’ Confirmed his coach Mike Smith said he’ll move along the line in that rapsheet podcast interview. 

7 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Building on those thoughts. I just checked out Ed Oliver and wonder how you feel (or if you feel) Z's ability to slide inside would have on potentially drafting Oliver? Or not?

• 3 weeks later...