Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Maybe you should honestly just step away from the keyboard and leave me alone if you're as holier than thou as you think you are.  It's tough remembering which troll is which.  Especially when you only come here to troll and the other one posts frequently. 

I don't feel like he needs to go away, but that Avatar needs to change!!!!  @Mr Anonymous get it together!  Ugly avatars!  You can still be Anonymous and ugly!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I think the key distinction you're missing is that one of us is a blowhard. Want to take at crack at guessing if it's you or me? My 10 posts a month must be awfully impactful if you think it's me.

Why don’t you write about it in your journal?

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Why don’t you write about it in your journal?

You're distracting me from reading every 5 pages of the game thread. Let's hope you don't have any more "hot takes" on pages 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, and 124.

I've already given you a pass or two. You know, "Christmas Spirit" and all.

10 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

There is NO COMPARISON in the attacking football played by Z and the lackadaisical play of Nick Perry that we all got to see for 7 seasons (when he was not nursing one injury or another).  

None.

Thanks Gute for biting the cap hit bullet on that ridiculous Perry contract and improving the team by actively participating in free agency and signing a passionate defensive leader like Z.

Well done.

Zadarius plays almost exactly like Perry (when healthy), if you added an elite 3T rush to Perry's game and gave him those reps. 

Why does every one of your points have to deal with a lack of effort? Perry's issues were never effort related.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

You're distracting me from reading every 5 pages of the game thread. Let's hope you don't have any more "hot takes" on pages 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120, and 124.

I've already given you a pass or two. You know, "Christmas Spirit" and all.

Let's hope you don't have anymore takes. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Zadarius plays almost exactly like Perry (when healthy), if you added an elite 3T rush to Perry's game and gave him those reps. 

Why does every one of your points have to deal with a lack of effort? Perry's issues were never effort related.

But when you compare the relentless effort from Zee, Perry 'looks' like he wasn't trying as hard.  Night and day.

1 hour ago, PACKRULE said:

Yes I think so he has exceeded all expectations and by all accounts is a guy who can't turn it off. Great leader, well respected and lives up to the character like White and Woodson.

Please calm the hell down. White and Woodson weren't getting ticketed for driving the rookies back from Chicago with a bunch of weed in the car. 

Just because a guy is a great player doesn't make him saintly.

1 minute ago, Dubz41 said:

But when you compare the relentless effort from Zee, Perry 'looks' like he wasn't trying as hard.  Night and day.

No, Z is just better. There's this broken thing where people see sacks, and assume it's because of a relentless motor, and then when a guy disappoints, it's because he's not giving effort.

It's the dumbest thing fans do in sports.

• Like 1

Just now, Dubz41 said:

They are virtually identical in every single way physically except Perry was never healthy.  If Perry had ever stayed healthy he would have been a monster, and he was a monster in 2016.  AND in 2017 when he was healthy. 

And I'm not trying to tread backwards on what I said in this thread.  I was clearly wrong (bold it, quote it, put it in your sig if you want because I'm sick of people acting like I'm not the first one to admit when I'm wrong).  Knowing what I knew then (which was nothing about his personality), this was a bad signing. 

Z. Smith had 10 career sacks in 3 seasons before his contract year. 
Perry had 12.5 career sacks in 4 seasons before his contract year. 

Perry is 6-3, 265
Smith is 6-4, 272

Edited by Outpost31

On 3/12/2019 at 11:13 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's a strong correlation between overall pressures and sacks.

Fackrell had no pressures and all sacks.

Smith had many pressures to go with his sacks. Just on the metrics, Smith's production looks very sustainable if not likely to grow.

Yeah, this was my Smith take. Not gonna say I called this, because I don't think anybody expected this level of production, but I was certainly defending this signing against anybody claiming he was a one hit wonder or a regression candidate.

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Preston Smith, Shaq Barrett, Trey Flowers, Dante Fowler, Clay Matthews. Seems like signing an EDGE is fine. The big ones, Clowney, Clark and Ford were all good too, granted those were trades, still a situation where a team gave up big compensation for a rusher the original team didn't want to pay.

Barrett - 1 year, 4 million (77 PFF), 16.5 sacks
P. Smith - 4 year 6 million, 13.5, 16, 16.5 (67.1 PFF), 10 sacks
Flowers - 5 year, 6.5 million, 17, 20, 23, 23 (82.2 PFF), 7 sacks.
Fowler - 1 year, 12 million, (73 PFF), 11.5 sacks
Matthews - 2 year, 3.5 million, 5.75 million (56.6 PFF), 8 sacks

It almost looks like money to motivate is the best way to get production out of an EDGE defender.  This was my point all along. 

Let's not act like Preston Smith is incredible.  He's certainly an upgrade no doubt, but he's not some elite pass rusher. 
Flowers I don't even know if you can count.  When was the last time the Patriots paid an elite player hitting free agency?  That's not how they operate.  The main point is that EDGE rushers who hit free agency in today's free agency shouldn't get paid because if they were as good as teams think they are, why did their team let them go? 

The fact that BOTH Z. Smith and Flowers came from the two teams who historically collect compensatory picks at an incredible rate is evidence enough here. 

Preston Smith will not turn out to be worth his contract.  I'm okay with what we did to get him because that's the cost of acquiring an above average EDGE who hits free agency.  He's just that though.  Above average.