Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

Just now, coachbuns said:

Not sure any of that (Perry and Jones comparison to Z) would make sense to any fan.  Watching Z play and then watching those other 2 play … not even close.

Jones from 2015 had really good pressure stats as an interior rusher. It was only the one year before he sorta lost his mind, but he was really good in that role. That's why he's hung around in the league for a few years.

Perry had an 11 sack season with really good pressure metrics in 2016. 

Combine those two seasons and you basically have Z. Smith's game.

How far back do you have to go to find an elite power rusher that can kick inside to 3T on the Packers? Reggie White basically, depending on how much you like/remember Kampman in that role?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jones from 2015 had really good pressure stats as an interior rusher. It was only the one year before he sorta lost his mind, but he was really good in that role. That's why he's hung around in the league for a few years.

How far back do you have to go to find an elite power rusher that can kick inside to 3T on the Packers? Reggie White basically, depending on how much you like/remember Kampman in that role?

Dude was born to play 4-3 power end. He was Jared Allen without the antics.

----

Boy did Z have a coming out party. I was at a huge Christmas Party at the Hershey mansion last night and every time I turned around Z was knocking Cousins on his @$$. Loved it. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Please calm the hell down. White and Woodson weren't getting ticketed for driving the rookies back from Chicago with a bunch of weed in the car. 

Just because a guy is a great player doesn't make him saintly.

The question was whether Z was up there as an FA signing not whether he was an HOFr. I answered the question correctly and you took it to the massive pot scandal that was never there. Seriously as an FA signing it has been absolutely huge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Oh I get it.  Point being, you need 2 seasons of Perry to equal 1 not yet to be done season for Z.  Stay tuned for the next few years .. it's just begun.

6 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Oh I get it.  Point being, you need 2 seasons of Perry to equal 1 not yet to be done season for Z.  Stay tuned for the next few years .. it's just begun.

I mean, Perry's best year was 11 sacks, Smith will likely finish at 14.5. We're not talking about massive differences in production.

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, Perry's best year was 11 sacks, Smith will likely finish at 14.5. We're not talking about massive differences in production.

25% more is good with me. 11 is decent but was his best .. more to come from Z.  I'm thinking Z's pressure rate and tackles for loss far exceeds Perry's. Sacks are nice but doesn't tell the whole story.  I'll take Z in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think it safe to say Z is outperforming anything Perry ever did.  Stats and data not withstanding, I dont recall Perry ever being this dominant a presence on an every down basis.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Preston Smith will not turn out to be worth his contract.  I'm okay with what we did to get him because that's the cost of acquiring an above average EDGE who hits free agency.  He's just that though.  Above average. 

You sir, are a maniac. 

21 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

You sir, are a maniac. 

I agree with OP’s take. Preston Smith all things considered is probably the 30th best edge in football making 18th money (per over the cap). He’s probably 2-3m a year overpaid but I can live with that. It is better than Clay Making 10 and being worth 4-5 like the previous few seasons.

10 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

probably the 30th best edge in football making 18th money (per over the cap)

Agreeing with you here, but how many of those are on rookie deals who if they were FAs next year would totally blow that up? Push him back top 30 I'm sure? That's FA in a nutshell, you need to use it but you obviously can't compete with rookie deals or prove it deals when guys show out.