Jump to content
Fl0nkerton

Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Recommended Posts

Smith exploded in 2018, snagging a career-high 8.5 sacks, including a three-sack performance in the Week 6 shutout of the Tennessee Titans. Smith generated 60 pressures in 2018, 17th most among edge defenders in the NFL, per Pro Football Focus.”

 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022114/article/packers-slated-to-sign-zadarius-smith-adrian-amos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in the numbers. I'll have mixed feelings if the guaranteed number is too high.  I like it because he's an upgrade over what we've currently got.  I'm apprehensive because it's dangerous to hand out huge pay days needing a guy to play at a substantially higher level than he's ever played at in his career.  Smith is a good player but there is absolutely nothing impressive about his career production.  For the same reason I wasn't fond of signing Perry, I dislike paying guys huge deals after completely out of the ordinary contract years.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'm interested in the numbers. I'll have mixed feelings if the guaranteed number is too high.  I like it because he's an upgrade over what we've currently got.  I'm apprehensive because it's dangerous to hand out huge pay days needing a guy to play at a substantially higher level than he's ever played at in his career.  Smith is a good player but there is absolutely nothing impressive about his career production.  For the same reason I wasn't fond of signing Perry, I dislike paying guys huge deals after completely out of the ordinary contract years.

 

 

Ironically if you were looking for the comparison, Perry might be it. Those guys don't always come into the league ready to roll. It takes them a bit to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Hopefully Smith stays on track and doesn't fall apart with injuries like Perry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a dumb idiot who doesn’t watch much Ravens ball. Someone convince me why I shouldn’t think Fackrell when i look at his numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really need to see the numbers on this contract.  If it's a real 16 million per and we don't crazy frontload the contract, I hate it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Outpost31 said:

Really need to see the numbers on this contract.  If it's a real 16 million per and we don't crazy frontload the contract, I hate it. 

I honestly feel for yah, man.  Knew the first couple of hours today was a nightmare for you.  Hoping they change your mind similar to what MVS did for yah.  Sending you a little good karma through the keyboard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I’m a dumb idiot who doesn’t watch much Ravens ball. Someone convince me why I shouldn’t think Fackrell when i look at his numbers. 

For starters, Za'Darius had 60 pressures and Fackrell had 20, if we're looking at stats alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, packfanfb said:

For starters, Za'Darius had 60 pressures and Fackrell had 20, if we're looking at stats alone. 

Ok that helps quite a bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we still had Capers I'd be worried. He needed 11 All Pros or his defense didn't work.

Pettine is gonna make this work well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I’m a dumb idiot who doesn’t watch much Ravens ball. Someone convince me why I shouldn’t think Fackrell when i look at his numbers. 

He's a lot more physical and borderline violent.  Gets a lot more pressures.

They really aren't the same kind of player.  I think that Fackrell drops more and I think he's pretty good in coverage.

Z. Smith can line up on the guard and get pressure.  Wouldn't say he dropped much.  Wouldn't say he should drop much, either.

Fackrell is also a year older.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I’m a dumb idiot who doesn’t watch much Ravens ball. Someone convince me why I shouldn’t think Fackrell when i look at his numbers. 

There's a strong correlation between overall pressures and sacks.

Fackrell had no pressures and all sacks.

Smith had many pressures to go with his sacks. Just on the metrics, Smith's production looks very sustainable if not likely to grow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's a strong correlation between overall pressures and sacks.

Fackrell had no pressures and all sacks.

Smith had many pressures to go with his sacks. Just on the metrics, Smith's production looks very sustainable if not likely to grow.

Is there somewhere that isn't hidden behind a paywall to see those pressure stats?  I'm guessing not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one I just cannot rationalize.  We got good deals on the other ones.  13 million per for Preston is a good deal, 28 total for Turner is a good deal, under 10 million per for Amos is a damn good deal.

This is the one that's going to keep me up at night.  I see a ceiling of Nick Perry 2017 for Z. Smith.  16 million per is a lot to tie into a player who has never had double digit sacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×