Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Bad, below average, average, above average, elite.  

This is where we get into silliness, like Golfman thinks a JAG is a certain thing, someone thinks elite means top 3, some morons think anyone who can play in the NFL are elite, etc etc. You end up arguing what the definition of elite or above average is and nothing to do with the player, not taking sides, but that's what happens.

12 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I agree with OP’s take. Preston Smith all things considered is probably the 30th best edge in football making 18th money (per over the cap). He’s probably 2-3m a year overpaid but I can live with that. It is better than Clay Making 10 and being worth 4-5 like the previous few seasons.

Who are the 29 EDGE players better than him. Forget the sacks. This guy plays the run and does a serviceable job dropping into coverage. Tell you what, give me 20 who are better than he is right now. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Who are the 29 EDGE players better than him. Forget the sacks. This guy plays the run and does a serviceable job dropping into coverage. Tell you what, give me 20 who are better than he is right now. 

Z. Smith, Bosa, Bosa, Mack, Von Miller, Garrett, Chubb, Flowers, Clowney, Hunter, Chandler Jones, Watt, Josh Allen, Clark, Ingram, Dee Ford.  Those are the only ones I can think of.  Then you probably have to argue the rest.  10 out of the 16 I just listed I’d consider elite, the rest above average.  Like I said, Preston is in the above average category.  As far as the second EDGE on a team, he’s the best we’ve ever had. I don’t want it to sound like I’m complaining in any way about Preston.

Thing about these two contracts though is that they’re both for four years.  What happened to us with Clay and Perry could happen to us with Preston.  I’m sold on Z, but Preston could have a bit of a dip, and that’s why I’m afraid of big free agent additions.  We NEED Preston to be that above average EDGE each of the four years he’s signed.  People think Jimmy’s contract hurts us... That’s the least important position on offense.  Now imagine paying 1.5 times that much at one of the most important positions on defense if Preston doesn’t keep it up.

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Z. Smith, Bosa, Bosa, Mack, Von Miller, Garrett, Chubb, Flowers, Clowney, Hunter, Chandler Jones, Watt, Josh Allen, Clark, Ingram, Dee Ford.  Those are the only ones I can think of.  Then you probably have to argue the rest.  10 out of the 16 I just listed I’d consider elite, the rest above average.  Like I said, Preston is in the above average category.  As far as the second EDGE on a team, he’s the best we’ve ever had. I don’t want it to sound like I’m complaining in any way about Preston.

Thing about these two contracts though is that they’re both for four years.  What happened to us with Clay and Perry could happen to us with Preston.  I’m sold on Z, but Preston could have a bit of a dip, and that’s why I’m afraid of big free agent additions.  We NEED Preston to be that above average EDGE each of the four years he’s signed.  People think Jimmy’s contract hurts us... That’s the least important position on offense.  Now imagine paying 1.5 times that much at one of the most important positions on defense if Preston doesn’t keep it up.

Clark, Chubb, Miller, Ingram, and Ford are all questionable at this point. 

Smith just turned 27. He's gonna be done with that contract before he turns 31.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Just in the NFC I get 15 without a ton of trouble and I’m probably missing a few.

NFCW- 5- Bosa, Clowney, Fowler, Campbell, Arnstead 

NFCN-  5- Mack , Z, both mn ends, T Flowers

NFCE-3-   Lawrence, Grahm. Kerrigan

NFCS - 2  Jordan, Davenport (pre injury)

Preston Smith is a solid starter, which is a big upgrade over 2018. To us he’s worth the 13 a year he was given, many teams he wouldn’t have been

22 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Just in the NFC I get 15 without a ton of trouble and I’m probably missing a few.

NFCW- 5- Bosa, Clowney, Fowler, Campbell, Arnstead 

NFCN-  5- Mack , Z, both mn ends, T Flowers

NFCE-3-   Lawrence, Grahm. Kerrigan

NFCS - 2  Jordan, Davenport (pre injury)

Preston Smith is a solid starter, which is a big upgrade over 2018. To us he’s worth the 13 a year he was given, many teams he wouldn’t have been

Fowler, Flowers, Graham, Kerrigan, and Davenport are all questionable, 

Campbell and Armstead get most of their production at the 3T.

14 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

NFCW- 5- Bosa, Clowney, Fowler, Campbell, Arnstead : Armstead is a one year wonder in a contract year. Fowler? Are you kidding he's one dimensional player and only had 1 good year, this year. Assume Campbell is Calais? He's actually a 3-tech but you missed Jones from Arizona who I will give you as better. 

NFCN-  5- Mack , Z, both mn ends, T Flowers, I'll give you Hunter, but NO way on Griffen. Trey Flowers is not so good when he got away from Patriots system. No chance

NFCE-3-   Lawrence, Grahm. Kerrigan  Lawrence got paid then disappeared, Kerrigan is not as good as P. Smith

NFCS - 2  Jordan, Davenport (pre injury) - Davenport? Give me a break. This sounds like a 2018 draft crush you haven't gotten over. 

You are way under appreciating Preston Smith.  My comments in red! Like I said, there is no way there are 29 better EDGE players than P. Smith. 

• Like 1