Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Turner is also sorta questionable. 

Out of the free agents mentioned Gute signed last year, Turner is probably the most questionable.  However, he has done a pretty good overall job and compared to last years guards, our rookie and Turner are quite an upgrade.   That being said, the crop of free agent players signed last year was nothing short of fantastic.  It cost dollars but as mentioned, better things more than likely are coming down the road.

5 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Out of the free agents mentioned Gute signed last year, Turner is probably the most questionable.  However, he has done a pretty good overall job and compared to last years guards, our rookie and Turner are quite an upgrade.   That being said, the crop of free agent players signed last year was nothing short of fantastic.  It cost dollars but as mentioned, better things more than likely are coming down the road.

I feel a lot better about Billy Turner at "18th highest paid Guard" than I do "7 million per year". Which makes no sense as they're equivalent, but I just still balk a little at paying Guards.

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I feel a lot better about Billy Turner at "18th highest paid Guard" than I do "7 million per year". Which makes no sense as they're equivalent, but I just still balk a little at paying Guards.

At 18th highest and 7 mil ... there are 17 other ones I'd be balking at even more.  The market is what it will bear and in a majority of cases now days, there's a potful at all positions who are overpaid.  Quite content with the overhaul done for this season and looking forward to seeing what pieces can be put into place for the upcoming season.

10 hours ago, coachbuns said:

The thing I liked best was that this crop of free agents were younger guys with upside.  To hit correctly on that many in a year is a testament to our team's NFL scouting people to identify those guys and also understand which guys would fit LeFleur's system.  Great job by them!   The scouts should get nice bonus's for that performance.

• 2 weeks later...

When the Pack won the SB in 2010, they had a bona fide, if aging, superstar on the D in Charles Woodson (as well an emerging ones in Nick Collins and Clay Matthews).

Collins got hurt and was forced to retire in 2011. Woodson faded and then was cut after the 2012 season. And for whatever reasons, Clay failed to reach double digit sacks in 6 of his final 8 seasons in GB (2011-2018).

The lack of top end defensive talent undoubtedly contributed to the lackluster defensive performances between 2011-2018.

In 2019, Z'Darius Smith became the superstar (both on and off the field) that the Packers' defense has been so lacking for so many years.

And he'll only be 27 when next season begins. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

When it comes to instant impact and helping to turn the fortunes of a franchise around this Z signing is right up there with Reggie as the franchises best ever.

I enjoy your enthusiasm, but pump them brakes just a little.  Z's impact is amazing and a little surprising.  Reggie's impact and the repercussions it sounded throughout the league was historic.  NO free agents were coming to Green Bay, especially black players at that time.  The Reggie signing was humungous.

Hopefully Z's will continue to get even better as he is the leader this defense was lacking.  Also, we'll see if he's suspended early next year for the pot incident.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Norm said:

The difference is Reggie was Reggie and not many really thought Z would produce like this

This.  Reggie was already known as one of if not the best free agent available at that time.  Z was an unknown when Gute signed him and there were folks on this forum who went nuts about it.  Z maybe isn't in the same signing "noise" situation but he has been darn near as impactful with what he's done for this team this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

This.  Reggie was already known as one of if not the best free agent available at that time.  Z was an unknown when Gute signed him and there were folks on this forum who went nuts about it.  Z maybe isn't in the same signing "noise" situation but he has been darn near as impactful with what he's done for this team this year.

No, he doesn't impact the team to the extent that Reggie did.  That talks needs to die down.

Z was a free agent signing that was questionable when it happened.  Never had double digit sacks, yet her parlayed being a part time player into a very large FA deal.  And he went on to established himself as one of the best pass rusher in the league, for this past season.

Reggie was THE feared pass rusher and lineman in the league prior to him coming to GB.  In no way shape or form was Z remotely close to Reggie in any regard when he was a free agent.

And...Z has done it for exactly 17 games now.  Reggie did it for 8 years prior to GB.  And 6 years in Green Bay.  And his presence was felt off the field, as alluded to before.

Yes, we should be excited about Z, but that comparison to Reggie just isn't there.  There are darned few "Reggie Whites" that have ever played in the league.  

EDIT: Sorry to quote you coachbuns.  I misread your post.  I think you and I are of a similar mindset on this.

Edited by vegas492

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

When the Packers signed Reggie White, my school principal got on the PA and announced it to our entire school in Milwaukee. I no longer live in Wisconsin. Did school principals do something similar when the Packers inked Za'Darius last March?

But you’re still in school?

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

No, he doesn't impact the team to the extent that Reggie did.  That talks needs to die down.

Z was a free agent signing that was questionable when it happened.  Never had double digit sacks, yet her parlayed being a part time player into a very large FA deal.  And he went on to established himself as one of the best pass rusher in the league, for this past season.

Reggie was THE feared pass rusher and lineman in the league prior to him coming to GB.  In no way shape or form was Z remotely close to Reggie in any regard when he was a free agent.

And...Z has done it for exactly 17 games now.  Reggie did it for 8 years prior to GB.  And 6 years in Green Bay.  And his presence was felt off the field, as alluded to before.

Yes, we should be excited about Z, but that comparison to Reggie just isn't there.  There are darned few "Reggie Whites" that have ever played in the league.  

EDIT: Sorry to quote you coachbuns.  I misread your post.  I think you and I are of a similar mindset on this. 

Yes, I believe we are thinking on a similar path.  Z certainly isn't in Reggie's realm of greatness over the years.  That being said, Z for what he's done for the Pack this year isn't that far behind what Reggie did his 1st year with the Packers.  Here's hoping it continues for Z in his quest for following in Reggie's footsteps.