Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

Just now, Outpost31 said:

This is one I just cannot rationalize.  We got good deals on the other ones.  13 million per for Preston is a good deal, 28 total for Turner is a good deal, under 10 million per for Amos is a damn good deal.

This is the one that's going to keep me up at night.  I see a ceiling of Nick Perry 2017 for Z. Smith.  16 million per is a lot to tie into a player who has never had double digit sacks. 

It's funny, this is the one I feel best about :/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

This is one I just cannot rationalize.  We got good deals on the other ones.  13 million per for Preston is a good deal, 28 total for Turner is a good deal, under 10 million per for Amos is a damn good deal.

This is the one that's going to keep me up at night.  I see a ceiling of Nick Perry 2017 for Z. Smith.  16 million per is a lot to tie into a player who has never had double digit sacks. 

I'd wait to see the structure of it before we make any concrete conclusions.  But a healthy Nick Perry probably isn't a cap casualty this offseason.

We still need to see the guarantees, but I agree. This is steep and not sure why we needed to give the #3 and #4 edge deals (assuming Houston beats these). Am I missing anyone other than Flowers and Houston? Barr I guess...

Either way, I like depth

4 years is better than 5 years, but 34 million in first two years suggests it's a true 16 million per.  Dislike. 

Part of that is the signing bonus.  Figure $20M for the signing bonus, and you're probably looking at a Y1 cap hit of $10M or so.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I like the versatility.

Still want EDGE at 12, you really can't miss out on a top tier EDGE guy in this class. The value is just too strong.

Agree with this.....and it would give us the versatility and depth necessary going forward.
Best way to help out the secondary is to enhance the front D line.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Part of that is the signing bonus.  Figure $20M for the signing bonus, and you're probably looking at a Y1 cap hit of $10M or so.

I'm not so concerned about the year one cap hit as the later year cap hits.  I'm the only one who seems to remember the Vernon contracts that get signed.  I don't want to be looking at Z Smith on our roster with folded arms and a pouty face two years from now when he hasn't eclipsed 10 total sacks for us. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Fair points. I'm wondering how influential Hendrickson was on this move. Obviously, he knew Smith very well, and I'm assuming his opinion was sought by Gute. Obviously they see something with Smith, and again, I think what tips the scales here is that Smith was far and away the most versatile EDGE player on the market. His inside rush abilities, IMO, were second to none of the available candidates. You're paying a lot for "potential" but that was the price and they liked him, obviously a lot.  

At first glance this deal bothered me. But the more research I do on Za'Darius Smith, the better I feel. I have seen the Perry comparisons but I don't agree with them. Perry never came close to 25 QB hits in a season.. I see how the sack numbers are similar between the 2, but Smith gets to the QB at a much better rate than Perry ever has.  Although, Perry is the better run defender, no doubt about that.

Edited by KingOfTheNorth

And for the love of God, please stop acting like I hate Z. Smith and P. Smith.  Please don't make that a thing.  It's a fundamental disagreement on where money should be spent in free agency, it's not player hate.  I'm hoping both of them have monster seasons just like everybody, I'm getting excited about their highlights just like everybody, I'm hoping they're Reggie White 2.0 just like everybody.  I'm just a bit less free agent trigger happy than everybody else, especially when it comes to pass rushers. 

• Like 1