Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

Everyone in the general forum expects this signing to bust so I fully expect it to go the opposite direction and the guy build off of last season. Certainly in an ideal fit for his skill set he’s going to get chances to generate pressure from everywhere. 

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I hate those backloaded contracts, but that's not a bad deal.  What are the cap hits I wonder. 

I don't hate having it backloaded just because of the steady cap increases, but I don't really get doing it for ALL 3 of the defensive deals. We'll see I guess

9 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Everyone in the general forum expects this signing to bust so I fully expect it to go the opposite direction and the guy build off of last season. Certainly in an ideal fit for his skill set he’s going to get chances to generate pressure from everywhere. 

That's because that's an awful lot of money for a guy with 18.5 sacks in 4 years.  Generally, free agent signings like this don't work out.  I also can't think of many occasions where free agent Baltimore defenders went on to have high end success elsewhere (I'm sure I'm not thinking of a couple).  Hopefully he's not a product of their system.  

Edited by SSG

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's because that's an awful lot of money for a guy with 18.5 sacks in 4 years.  Generally, free agent signings like this don't work out.  I also can't think of many occasions where free agent Baltimore defenders went on to have high end success elsewhere (I'm sure I'm not thinking of a couple).  Hopefully he's not a product of their system.  

I understand the argument for thinking he likely won’t live up to the deal, but I’m still optimistic he can repeat last season and I won’t spur on the guy until I don’t see it play out. He’s in that Pernell McPhee/Calvin Pace mold and I’ve alwsys liked that kind of edge player. Good chance at least one of the two Smith’s won’t be worth the money but it sounds like we have outs after year 2 anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Two of the guys loudest in that thread about it are bonafide morons. 

It doesn't feel high in aav and everything. But there's always this idea if you have a good contract year you'll never repeat. They would be excited if he was back for his future.