Packers Expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

Fl0nkerton

Just now, cannondale said:

Gone are the days of one guy getting 19 sacks. Pettine is gonna collapse the entire pocket, create mismatches, and have multiple guys get numbers I think

But this is another reason why I'm not so crazy about this.  If Pettine gets pressure from everywhere, why we go and sign two  of them?  We've still got 12th overall. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I'm not so concerned about the year one cap hit as the later year cap hits.  I'm the only one who seems to remember the Vernon contracts that get signed.  I don't want to be looking at Z Smith on our roster with folded arms and a pouty face two years from now when he hasn't eclipsed 10 total sacks for us. 

Just putting speculation out here...

Y1: $5M Salary/Bonuses, $5M SB = $10M Cap Hit ($20M Dead Cap)
Y2: $, $9.5M Salary/Bonuses, $5M SB = $14.5M Cap Hit ($15M Dead Cap)
Y3: $15.5M Salary/Bonuses, $5M SB = $20.5M Cap Hit ($10M Dead Cap)
Y4: $16M Salary/Bonuses, $5M SB = $21M Cap Hit ($5M Dead Cap)

Obviously those numbers are inflated a bit, but you're going to see large cap hits in Y3 and Y4.

But this is another reason why I'm not so crazy about this.  If Pettine gets pressure from everywhere, why we go and sign two  of them?  We've still got 12th overall. 

Because you don't need Von Miller. Pettine will do more with less 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Obviously those numbers are inflated a bit, but you're going to see large cap hits in Y3 and Y4.

And that's what I'm afraid of.  We just got those two stinker contracts off our roster only to replace them with two brand new stinker contracts. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And that's what I'm afraid of.  We just got those two stinker contracts off our roster only to replace them with two brand new stinker contracts. 

We're talking about a dead cap of $10M if you release him after Y2, and $5M after you release him after Y3.  Those aren't insane numbers, especially with the salary cap going up.  The salary cap went up $10M this year.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

We're talking about a dead cap of $10M if you release him after Y2, and $5M after you release him after Y3.  Those aren't insane numbers, especially with the salary cap going up.  The salary cap went up $10M this year.

Dead cap is stupid, and we'd been one of the best teams at that for a straight decade. 

Yep.  One of the Smiths is going to bust hard. 

It was a joke - he never signed any.

I don't think either Smith will bust hard. I don't think those are the type of guys who fall off a cliff ala Clay. Neither will get 19 sacks per year, but thats not the plan

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep.  One of the Smiths is going to bust hard. 

Get a hold of yourself.  Let's see how they utilize these guys before se start throwing the 'B' word around.  Let's hope the only 'B' word being thrown around in Green Bay next year is '*itch Kitty'!

Edited by {Family Ghost}

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Get a hold of yourself.  Let's see how they utilize these guys before se start throwing the 'B' word around.  Let's hope the only 'B' word being thrown around in Green Bay next year is '*itch Kitty'!

Obviously I'm hoping one of them busts so I'm right, right?  Wrong. 

It's just that when there hasn't been a major pass rush signing that has been worth the money since Reggie White, call me a little skeptical that we'll hit on not one, but two.