Packers signing Former Bears Safety Adrian Amos

Fl0nkerton

3 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

It kind of is in a way. Easier to find guys to fill that role.

I mean I don't disagree. And I don't AT ALL think the value is the same but it's like those guys don't do anything for a team. 

Just now, Norm said:

I mean I don't disagree. And I don't AT ALL think the value is the same but it's like those guys don't do anything for a team. 

I think it's moreso that the replacement level for the position is pretty high. It's like runningbacks kind of. You can find a lot of guys that can do it competently, so you don't have to pay a premium for it.

• Like 1

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $36,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$11,000,000 AVERAGE SALARY$9,000,000 GTD AT SIGN:$12,000,000 TOTAL GTD:$12,000,000 FREE AGENT:2023 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER WORKOUT CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2019 Contract details by year 26 $1,250,000 $2,750,000 $1,400,000 $500,000 $5,900,000 $12,000,000 $14,150,000($14,150,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 27 $1,750,000 $2,750,000 $4,400,000 $500,000 $9,400,000 $8,250,000 $6,650,000($20,800,000)  

POTENTIAL OUT: 2021, 2 YR, $20,800,000; $5,500,000 DEAD CAP

2021 Contract details by year 28 $4,900,000 $2,750,000 $1,900,000 $500,000 $10,050,000 $5,500,000 $7,300,000($28,100,000)  
2022 Contract details by year 29 $7,000,000 $2,750,000 $400,000 $500,000 $10,650,000 $2,750,000 $7,900,000($36,000,000)
Edited by skibrett15

14 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I think it's moreso that the replacement level for the position is pretty high. It's like runningbacks kind of. You can find a lot of guys that can do it competently, so you don't have to pay a premium for it.

I'm not unaware or trying to be a **** lol. I'm just saying it's used so much lately as if the guy doesn't add value. Maybe I'm just being a contrarian b hole. It just bothers me when everyone is like mehhhh box safety. Then again it probably does to the fact I think we just repeat whatever is said so once a player image is created online it lasts forever. So many profiles like that that weren't true started and stuck way too long. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Amos is super reliable, which in the Packers secondary is not something to turn away. But Amos got good when Jackson was drafted and he was no longer asked to do the FS type stuff in the defense.

The Packers need to use him that way.

If Amos is the competent guy who holds down the fort while Gutenkunst looks for someone better, I can live with that. Can't be worse than the dumpster fire that was at S last season. 

20 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Looks like we're getting "Good" Russ Ball this year. The man can be a real asset when he's given a directive and follows orders. The difference is he's got a GM targeting players and being aggressive. I was fearful of a repeat of last year and it's not happening. That pathetic offer sheet fiasco with Fuller was alarming. Glad to see they're getting deals struck and with good structures.

Note to all who might take issue of my characterization of Russ Ball: Yes my post if full of opinion based on conversations I've had with Packer people in the past. It's just opinion, so save your breath arguing it as though I'm stating it as fact. I feel as though Ball has been a hindrance to player acquisition in the past and I'm content holding that as my own opinion. I'm not going to try and convince anyone otherwise if they don't agree.

Every team has a Russ Ball.  Most cap negotiators have as much say as Russ Ball apparently has, but that's not really relevant right now.  They're job is to create a contract that fits inside the teams' budget but also fits what the player is seeking.  And no, putting the Kyle Fuller offer sheet at Ball's feet is a joke.  How many legitimate RFA sign offer sheets and teams are unable to match?  Not very many.  Especially after the NFL cracked down after the Steve Hutchinson incident.  RFA essentially operate exactly like franchise tags only they don't come with the condition of giving up picks to sign those players.  Anyone who thought that the Packers had any chance of signing Kyle Fuller to an offer sheet the Bears wouldn't match isn't living in reality.  We would have had to pay him like a top 5 CB in order to make the Bears blink.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Every team has a Russ Ball.  Most cap negotiators have as much say as Russ Ball apparently has, but that's not really relevant right now.  They're job is to create a contract that fits inside the teams' budget but also fits what the player is seeking.  And no, putting the Kyle Fuller offer sheet at Ball's feet is a joke.  How many legitimate RFA sign offer sheets and teams are unable to match?  Not very many.  Especially after the NFL cracked down after the Steve Hutchinson incident.  RFA essentially operate exactly like franchise tags only they don't come with the condition of giving up picks to sign those players.  Anyone who thought that the Packers had any chance of signing Kyle Fuller to an offer sheet the Bears wouldn't match isn't living in reality.  We would have had to pay him like a top 5 CB in order to make the Bears blink.

There's just so much here. Too much. I'll let others pick this apart. I don't have the time or the patience to keep doing this with you.