Jump to content
Fl0nkerton

Packers signing Former Bears Safety Adrian Amos

Recommended Posts

On 5/16/2019 at 11:42 AM, Reaper said:

He looks bigger than I expected, on another note he also looked like someone just said some really dumb s@#$ and he is trying to stare the stupid out of them.

Looks like his kids are misbehaving in public and he's trying to scare them straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Him and Savage are gonna be a really good pair. If King pans out, our secondary will be elite.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Looks like his kids are misbehaving in public and he's trying to scare them straight.

IlliterateSlimyHeterodontosaurus-max-1mb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure where else to put this random thought, but does anyone else think that Amos will end up playing the majority of his snaps deep in 2019?  The general expectation seems to be that Savage will be our new FS and Amos will play up, but I'm not sure that's how it pans out this year.  
 

For one, Savage didn't actually play deep safety in college much.  He played man in the slot and the underneath safety role mostly, and that ability to read it and hit it played really well there.  He certainly has the foot speed to play deep, but I worry about how often he may bite on underneath stuff given his issues with that in college.  4.36 doesn't save you if you come charging up while the deep threat is running past you.  At the same time, Amos doesn't have the same wheels but he's much more fundamentally sound and seems to have a better holistic view of the defense.  I'd much rather have the savvy vet who can see it playing deep and the excitable young guy who accelerates toward whatever he sees at supersonic speed playing up.  Once Savage gets some experience and the game slows down for him, then sure, all that talent plays crazy well in centerfield, but I just think I'd much rather play it safe and let the CB group play it a little looser.  King/Alexander/Jackson is too much ball skills to not let them run around at least a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking it'll be based on sitation/personnel. Ideally if both safeties can do it all you'll have a better time disguising the coverages. It wouldn't surprise me if Pettine elects to protect the rookie and not have him in charge of the back end a ton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, boratt said:

Him and Savage are gonna be a really good pair. If King pans out, our secondary will be elite.

 

I don't think Panning out is going to be an issue with him or Jaire. It's their health.

Jackson, Brown, Redmond, et al, are the ones who need to pan out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

does anyone else think that Amos will end up playing the majority of his snaps deep in 2019? 

Here's what former safety and current coach Jim Leonard had to say about playing for Pettine:

“I think the cool part about it (is), I went through the process of a lot of different steps with him — as a position coach in Baltimore, a coordinator in New York, coordinating away from Rex and truly having his own say on everything (on defense) in Buffalo and then as a head coach in Cleveland,” Leonhard said

“To me, two words come to my mind when I think of him: Flexibility — his system will be flexible to find the most talented playmakers and the matchups week in and week out. And then creativity — to be able to put those guys in position to make plays on a consistent basis.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to the comments above, Pettine just talked about it in presser and said he's starting with Savage at FS and Amos at SS
They'll move around, but that's his starting point for 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, Shanedorf said:

Here's what former safety and current coach Jim Leonard had to say about playing for Pettine:

“I think the cool part about it (is), I went through the process of a lot of different steps with him — as a position coach in Baltimore, a coordinator in New York, coordinating away from Rex and truly having his own say on everything (on defense) in Buffalo and then as a head coach in Cleveland,” Leonhard said

“To me, two words come to my mind when I think of him: Flexibility — his system will be flexible to find the most talented playmakers and the matchups week in and week out. And then creativity — to be able to put those guys in position to make plays on a consistent basis.”

Someone show show the last part to Josh Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

To add to the comments above, Pettine just talked about it in presser and said he's starting with Savage at FS and Amos at SS
They'll move around, but that's his starting point for 2019

Damn, between this and all the comments about how quickly Savage is picking it up from Tramon et al., I'm finding the hype a bit hard to fight.  There are pieces of Savage's tape that worried me a bit coming out, but I just love safeties who see it and hit it fast and there are few if any who hit it faster than Savage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Damn, between this and all the comments about how quickly Savage is picking it up from Tramon et al., I'm finding the hype a bit hard to fight.

Then stop fighting it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leader said:

Then stop fighting it :)

No, keep an even head. this thread is starting to look like the Josh Jones hype train from his rookie year. God was that thing out of control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, keep an even head. this thread is starting to look like the Josh Jones hype train from his rookie year. God was that thing out of control.

LOL I was kidding.....but there's nothing wrong with feeling and expressing a "fans" exuberance for a player. Nothing at all. Not everything has to be "GM/coach/scout-speak" and being a fan of the GBPs doesnt have to feel like an academic exercise.

It's okay to root for somebody.

Edited by Leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

 

But the Bears graded Ha Ha Clinton Dix higher than Amos every single year ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×