Packers signing Former Bears Safety Adrian Amos

Fl0nkerton

Adrian Amos is not a savior at safety.  He's not a playmaker, he's not some all-pro talent.  He's still the best safety we've had in a very long time.  Considering the safety market, it's a miracle we got Amos at all at under 10 million per, so this is the best free agent signing we've had. 

Amos is like an upper middle class Morgan Burnett. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

He’ll upgrade the safety position and bring some additional toughness to that secondary. And by today’s standards, that contract doesn’t sound too outrageous.

BONUS: He was a durable Starter on a division rival’s defense!

What’s not to like about this signing? I don’t see any downside!

Exactly... He's  got good size,  he's athletic, smart (doesn't blow assignments) and has gotten better every year.

4 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

i still can't believe we got amos. he was my biggest FA crush.

justo read some confusing numbers someone reported and is saying it's a 5m cap hit yr 1 for amos. 

yeah the deal is actually super attractive. Only 12m in guarantees

20 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

yeah the deal is actually super attractive. Only 12m in guarantees

Looks like we're getting "Good" Russ Ball this year. The man can be a real asset when he's given a directive and follows orders. The difference is he's got a GM targeting players and being aggressive. I was fearful of a repeat of last year and it's not happening. That pathetic offer sheet fiasco with Fuller was alarming. Glad to see they're getting deals struck and with good structures.

Note to all who might take issue of my characterization of Russ Ball: Yes my post if full of opinion based on conversations I've had with Packer people in the past. It's just opinion, so save your breath arguing it as though I'm stating it as fact. I feel as though Ball has been a hindrance to player acquisition in the past and I'm content holding that as my own opinion. I'm not going to try and convince anyone otherwise if they don't agree.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Looks like we're getting "Good" Russ Ball this year. The man can be a real asset when he's given a directive and follows orders. The difference is he's got a GM targeting players and being aggressive. I was fearful of a repeat of last year and it's not happening. That pathetic offer sheet fiasco with Fuller was alarming. Glad to see they're getting deals struck and with good structures.

Note to all who might take issue of my characterization of Russ Ball: Yes my post if full of opinion based on conversations I've had with Packer people in the past. It's just opinion, so save your breath arguing it as though I'm stating it as fact. I feel as though Ball has been a hindrance to player acquisition in the past and I'm content holding that as my own opinion. I'm not going to try and convince anyone otherwise if they don't agree.

Just reading stories over the years about Russ over the years, that is the opinion I had come up with too. He can be an asset but also can very stubborn and frugal with money. I was really frustrated when I read once that he "treats the Packers money like his own money." Sure it works when you are drafting great. But when you aren't, you need to push your ego aside (TT and Ball), admit your mistakes, and work to correct them.

In your mind, what should have been done differently with Fuller? 

9 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Just reading stories over the years about Russ over the years, that is the opinion I had come up with too. He can be an asset but also can very stubborn and frugal with money. I was really frustrated when I read once that he "treats the Packers money like his own money." Sure it works when you are drafting great. But when you aren't, you need to push your ego aside (TT and Ball), admit your mistakes, and work to correct them.

In your mind, what should have been done differently with Fuller? 

Have made an offer that wasn't so easy to match. They made it a cap friendly deal for the Bears and actually helped them. It's an offer sheet that never should've been written. A complete waste of time and helped a division rival to boot.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Adrian Amos is not a savior at safety.  He's not a playmaker, he's not some all-pro talent.  He's still the best safety we've had in a very long time.  Considering the safety market, it's a miracle we got Amos at all at under 10 million per, so this is the best free agent signing we've had. 

Amos is like an upper middle class Morgan Burnett. 

There might still be some upside there as well.  It will be interesting to see what Pettine can come up for him.  All told he's a good solid football player who is very reliable.  We need that badly on this defense.

44 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-adrian-amos-the-best-value-deal-of-free-agency-so-far

Article by PFF talking about why Amos is the best value in free agency so far.  Good read.

I didn't read the post, but I am guessing it's talking about him being the #3 rated safety throughout the last three seasons combined. I watched their video today and they basically said he's not going to make the big time playmaking plays, but he will almost be in the right spot every single time and not make mistakes.