HOW DOES EARLY FA SIGNINGS IMPACT OUR DRAFT NEEDS?

Karnage84

With the early signings of Trey Flowers, Justin Coleman, Danny Amendola and Jesse James the Lions have hit on some significant needs (DE, Slot CB, Slot WR, TE). With these signings, how do you expect these moves to impact our draft needs? Who are you looking at in the draft at #8 (assuming we stay there)?

12 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

With the early signings of Trey Flowers, Justin Coleman, Danny Amendola and Jesse James the Lions have hit on some significant needs (DE, Slot CB, Slot WR, TE). With these signings, how do you expect these moves to impact our draft needs? Who are you looking at in the draft at #8 (assuming we stay there)?

I would think OL, CB, or LB would be addressed first. 

Someone like White or Bush at 8

and oruwariye or Layne in the second

i haven’t followed the draft like I’ve has in the past but I think adding a stellar LB in the first and a solid CB in the top of the second would be huge for us.

Im a big believer in thinking Gs can go in the later rounds and be developed into pro bowlers with good coaching.

Im tired of seeing us reach on CBs or draft “developmental” later round types.

I don't think it changes much for what we're looking for at 8. Flowers is a great player but a 3-4 lineman not an edge rusher so that's still a need, James is solid but not so good that he single handedly takes care of the TE position, Coleman is a nickel CB, and Amendola is aging and quite frankly not very good anymore. 

So imo anyone that's been rumored to us at 8 is still in play... Although I highly doubt it'll be Hockenson or Fant, never really thought that was very likely to begin with as Quinn is obviously trying to emulate the Patriots and taking a TE that high just doesn't seem like a very Patriots thing to do.

My guess would be EDGE, ILB, or CB at 8 and whichever isn't taken there in the 2nd but adding G to the list for potential positions to be taken for the 2nd. WR and RB are also possible targets but I don't think they'll be taken before the 3rd.

Corner and edge early. We need a starting guard, but like TFC said that can be found later. Those are three positions we NEED new starters at. We could also use a safety and a OLB.

I wouldn't mind Metcalf at 8 but I can't see it happening with our roster.

10 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Corner and edge early. We need a starting guard, but like TFC said that can be found later. Those are three positions we NEED new starters at. We could also use a safety and a OLB.

I wouldn't mind Metcalf at 8 but I can't see it happening with our roster.

I could see Metcalf if they plan on trading Jones but other than that no. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to it depending on what they could get for Jones but I think I'd rather just take a top defensive guy.

3 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If Flowers is that versatile chess piece but not pure edge, does this signing make you feel better about a guy like Sweat at 8?

No, but only because of wording. It would have been just as good of a pick prior to signing Flowers. xD

If they stay at #8 I think Devin White is the pick.  We need an outside CB but I don't think Greedy Williams quite that valuable.  Personally, I think the best scenario for the Lions is a trade-back that gets them an extra second and/or 3rd round pick. Getting an extra second and third would be ideal.

15 minutes ago, TimeForChange said:

Metcalf is overrated and a gimmicky player

What's his gimmick? Being insanely athletic and explosive and the perfect size and incredibly strong and getting good separation and making some circus catches?

He definitely needs a ton of work on his routes and has issues with drops, I'll give you that. I think he's going to be special though.

3 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

No, but only because of wording. It would have been just as good of a pick prior to signing Flowers. xD

Really?? I'm not convinced at this point. The 4.41 is outstanding but there are questions about his ability to bend and that level of athleticism apparently didn't show up on tape. I haven't watched this myself but I've heard similar things from a couple guys (Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks, Matt Miller... maybe even the PFF guys). One of the things that I love with the Flowers signing is that he's going to generate pressure and that could lead to other guys making plays and getting the numbers.

22 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

If they stay at #8 I think Devin White is the pick.  We need an outside CB but I don't think Greedy Williams quite that valuable.  Personally, I think the best scenario for the Lions is a trade-back that gets them an extra second and/or 3rd round pick. Getting an extra second and third would be ideal.

The Dolphins appear to be short on QB options. They are expected to be targeting Tyrod Taylor and then draft someone. If Murray goes #1 and Haskins goes #6, I could see them trading up with us to take Lock at #8. Denver has an eye on him at #10 and Buffalo is a division rival picking at 9. It wouldn't shock me to see us make that trade and get an extra 2nd and a 4th or 5th.

14 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

What's his gimmick? Being insanely athletic and explosive and the perfect size and incredibly strong and getting good separation and making some circus catches?

He definitely needs a ton of work on his routes and has issues with drops, I'll give you that. I think he's going to be special though.

Big, strong, straight line runner.  He needs to show that his agility drills were a blip and not the regular.  I don't want a WR at 8 that has one trick.

I m still hoping for D Lineman/edge rusher in the first.  I hope Oliver falls to 8.  I wouldn't mind Sweat or Ferrell. I wouldn't hate one of the LBs that high but not in love with them over a few of the edge candidates.

To answer the question, I think the early signings allow us to easily go BPA.  Which IMO relates to my first point of wanting an edge player. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Big, strong, straight line runner.  He needs to show that his agility drills were a blip and not the regular.  I don't want a WR at 8 that has one trick.

Apparently he fell or slipped but this is definitely a question mark. What if he goes out and then has an average showing in these drills at his pro day?

Archived