Packers Signing Preston Smith

Fl0nkerton

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

We are Green Bay.  Usually "closed" during the first wave or two of free agency.  We tend to pay our own and honor those contracts, even if things don't go as well as we would have hoped.  When we do dip into free agency, we tend to hang onto those players and they see the entire contract.  Hopefully that is a "plus" for us as now we are/were open in free agency and guys hopefully see that they can get the entire contract here.  Sure we have "outs" in the contracts, but we have a history of letting guys finish their bigger deals.

Our GM is kind of re-making the image of Green Bay as it relates to free agency.

It will be interesting to see if this remains the case next year with Jimmy Graham and that contract.

You guys had arguably best FA signing of all time in Reggie White.   I was young, but I remember all discussion in media at time was FA going to kill Packers because no 'minority' would want to go to GB in FA.   

Then shortly after White signed and you guys won the SB.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm kind of over this whole nonsense that contracts that are not gtd need to be honored.  Players are welcome to negotiate for as much gtd money as they are worth.  They are welcome to negotiate for as much real, effective gtd money due to cap hits and such.

But when there's effectively a team option which allows the player to be released, do not hold it against the club for exercising its option.  You got that deal you got because its what you are worth.  You included "fake" money in it which would have been paid to you had you performed at a really high level.  You didn't.  That's why you are being released.

If players disagree with how the contracts work, they should collectively bargain for it on the next CBA.  Until then, agents/players complaining about being released before their contract is over when those years aren't gtd is total hogwash.  Every team does it.  We did it with Jordy Nelson.  GB isn't trying to build a rep by keeping players on bad deals and showing to agents that they are serious about veteran players by paying out money on bad deals.  That's not a rep you want.  That's the rep of a sucker.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You guys had arguably best FA signing of all time in Reggie White.   I was young, but I remember all discussion in media at time was FA going to kill Packers because no 'minority' would want to go to GB in FA.   

Then shortly after White signed and you guys won the SB.

If it weren't for the Cowboys being just so darned good at that period of time (thanks Herschel), GB would have a couple more.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If it weren't for the Cowboys being just so darned good at that period of time (thanks Herschel), GB would have a couple more.

SF and Dallas played the real SB in NFC championship a number of years.

Teams were loaded. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/960671241681059840/photo/1

Top -12 pressure rates this season among defenders who had 200+ pass rush plays

I have always thought preston is better than his stats indicate. I live in the DC area and people here are generally pretty high on him. He was my most wanted FA edge target

• Like 1