Packers Signing Preston Smith

Fl0nkerton

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Thats why keeping the #1 pick on EDGE (or top DL) probably wont change. 
Be interesting to see how Mock Drafts are affected by these moves.
Pressure / kill the QB. Shorten the WR field. Enhance the secondary play.

Offers the Packers more flexibility, but really doesn't change things.  We were always going DL or EDGE.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Barr was intriguing because he was an EDGE coming out of UCLA, and he was asked to play OBLB.  You're not going to find any quality EDGE at a reasonable price, so I understand the value of playing it safe with guys like Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith.  But there's value in gambling on a guy like Barr.  I haven't seen contract details for Barr, but he's the only EDGE FA who offers upside as a pass rusher.

Thats definitely one way to look at it. Another is that QB pressures are the best predictor of future production and the Smiths have 110 combined from just last season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Offers the Packers more flexibility, but really doesn't change things.  We were always going DL or EDGE.

One can hope we go D. I’m tired of not beating the snot out of other teams offences. Would be nice to have a top5 D for the next decade. 

• Like 1

Trade down a few spots or grab an elite DL or OLB.  Hock is in play now.  Don't hate the guy will be a stud and we need this type of player on the roster.  Pack is in position to go BPA.  Hock can do it all.  LaFluer is going to want him.  Saw Fant mocked to the Pack at 12 not a fan.  Not the type of TE we need.  Unless a guy like Williams or Oliver falls trade back and pick up Hock.  I think Hock is a player the Packers are going to target either at #12 or on a trade back.  TE is now the biggest hole we have on the roster IMO.  

Preston is the Smith I'm most excited about.  He seems to have had the most consistent career to this point.  

I'm done being bummed about philosophical disagreements with Gute and ready for NFL history to refer to this era of Packer football as the era Gute signed the Smiths.

Sometimes good, sometimes disappears. Has potential. Never lived up to it (with us). Went from 9 sacks to 4. 

Most of us aren't upset he's gone...

I think he'd be better as a 3 down pass rusher in a 4-3 scheme. 

Some quotes from Redskins fans on Preston Smith.