Packers Signing Preston Smith

Fl0nkerton

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Preston is the Smith I'm most excited about.  He seems to have had the most consistent career to this point.  

I'm done being bummed about philosophical disagreements with Gute and ready for NFL history to refer to this era of Packer football as the era Gute signed the Smiths.

There we go nice to see you back. Let’s get on board with this. Add in an epic draft 2 firsts and this D will turn heads. I bet our DC is happy today. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Some quotes from Redskins fans on Preston Smith. 

Honestly, It is kind of hard to get super excited about Smith at 13 million a year, I would feel a little better if he had 8 sacks last year. Seems to be durable and high motor but that is about it. I guess the Packers see some potential with him in Pettines system. 

While probably more unproven than Preston Smith, I will be interested to see what Shaq Barrett gets and wonder if he was ever on the Packers radar. 

Redskins fans seem to think Preston Smith has an inconsistent motor, which is the scariest comment I've read on him. 

I legitimately am hoping one of the Smiths backs out.  I can stand that money for one, but I'm just really nervous about paying two of them free agent pass rusher money. 

A lot of it has already been said, but I'll give you my take. He's a good but not great pass rusher. He's pretty good against the run when he gives the effort. He also has made some game changing plays for the redskins since 2015 like interceptions and forced fumbles. He usually good for one or two of those a year.

He has the talent to be a double sack guy but he has an inconsistent motor. As others have said, he’ll likely rack up a lot of pressures and QB hits but come short of getting double-digit sacks.

As I’m sure you know, sacks would be nicer than getting just QB hits or pressures.

Basically, I think you're replacing what you had with Nick Perry with a similar player, when Perry was healthy. I hope he gets more sacks for you than he did for us, but if I were you id expect a 7-8 sack guy and not a double-digit sack guy, who is pretty good against the run and will force a few turnovers a year.

You're not getting a young Clay Matthews here.

Pettine is gonna love crushing the edges and bring in the slots and safeties. These guys will be MUCH better than Clay and Fack were at it. Get Burns and stack one of these guys on the 5 and mismatch Burns with the RB. The stats from these boys won't be the best indicator of the impact they'll have for the defense I'll wager.

I would've preferred one of these guys was Barr and we bring in Ferrell but I'm sure Pettine is gonna be excited to start drawing some things up.

Edited by HighCalebR