Packers Signing Preston Smith

Fl0nkerton

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Just heard an interesting eval from Casserly on NFL Network: Smith lacks the speed to get there from the outside but is better geared to provide pressure from inside - which kinda has a feel for how Pettine was setting up our D last year no? Now - that could have been because we didnt have the goods on the outside last year......but, just saying.....

Z. Smith is similar, but a little bigger and can rush from the inside.  Can't help but wonder how Devin White would look with those guys on the edge and Clark up front.

• Like 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/need-know-its-science-preston-smith-one-nfls-top-pass-rushers

Biggest thing now is gotta hope both the Smiths actually love football.  By all accounts, Preston Smith is a damn good pass rusher, and 13 million per is better than I thought he'd sign for.  Just don't think people understand you don't get good pass rushers in free agency.  One of the Smiths is going to bust hard.  That's just the nature of the position in free agency.  Chances are both of them bust hard, but now's the time to hope to be wrong there. 

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

Just heard an interesting eval from Casserly on NFL Network: Smith lacks the speed to get there from the outside but is better geared to provide pressure from inside - which kinda has a feel for how Pettine was setting up our D last year no? Now - that could have been because we didnt have the goods on the outside last year......but, just saying.....

While I don't disagree with the evaluation, always got to remember Casserly's other businesses.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

While I don't disagree with the evaluation, always got to remember Casserly's other businesses.

Well since I never knew his other businesses, it would be kinda tough to remember them :)

I think Smith will give us pressure and presence along the DL and trust Pettine to put these additions to work.
We're better today than we were yesterday - money not considered - thats a plus for me.

Just now, Leader said:

Well since I never knew his other businesses, it would be kinda tough to remember them :)

I think Smith will give us pressure and presence along the DL and trust Pettine to put these additions to work.
We're better today than we were yesterday - money not considered - thats a plus for me.

Just something to be aware of. Especially when he's ripping on the draft class.

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd take him too, but looking at the body types I don't think Burns fits what Pettine wants.

Barr was the only FA with that body type.  Maybe it's just because we haven't been able to get that kind of guy.

Plus, grab Burns when you can.  If Pettine doesn't show marked improvement with these investments he might not be long for ride....

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Barr was the only FA with that body type.  Maybe it's just because we haven't been able to get that kind of guy.

Plus, grab Burns when you can.  If Pettine doesn't show marked improvement with these investments he might not be long for ride....

Barr was intriguing because he was an EDGE coming out of UCLA, and he was asked to play OBLB.  You're not going to find any quality EDGE at a reasonable price, so I understand the value of playing it safe with guys like Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith.  But there's value in gambling on a guy like Barr.  I haven't seen contract details for Barr, but he's the only EDGE FA who offers upside as a pass rusher.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Barr was intriguing because he was an EDGE coming out of UCLA, and he was asked to play OBLB.  You're not going to find any quality EDGE at a reasonable price, so I understand the value of playing it safe with guys like Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith.  But there's value in gambling on a guy like Barr.  I haven't seen contract details for Barr, but he's the only EDGE FA who offers upside as a pass rusher.

Thats why keeping the #1 pick on EDGE (or top DL) probably wont change. 
Be interesting to see how Mock Drafts are affected by these moves.
Pressure / kill the QB. Shorten the WR field. Enhance the secondary play.

Edited by Leader