Preston Smith signs with Green Bay

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yeah....not knocking them for the signing.  I wanted to see the Steelers potentially sign him.    However, he is a huge underachiever, and I dont know think thats going to change.   If they are bringing him in and paying him as a depth player, it could work out, though.

It won't be as a depth player. But if they get him for less than $10 million per year without a lot of guarantees past Year 1, I'd call it a good deal.

Just now, jrry32 said:

It won't be as a depth player. But if they get him for less than $10 million per year without a lot of guarantees past Year 1, I'd call it a good deal.

Meh...guess time will tell.    Not a fan of either of their pass rusher signings....at least not for the prices they are paying.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm interested to see what Smith got. He's always intrigued me because he has the tools to be a really disruptive guy, but he's never consistently put them together. With the right coach and scheme, he could. But if they paid him a bunch of money, that's a huge risk to take on a guy who hasn't done it.

He should of signed with a 4-3 team imo.  He’s too big and not agile enough to be a full time OLB.  Packers should use him as a situational pass rusher in Nickle packages to maximize his strengths.

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Meh...guess time will tell.    Not a fan of either of their pass rusher signings....at least not for the prices they are paying.

Has anything been confirmed yet outside of the LaConfora tweet? I can't seem to find anything.
Secretly hoping he's wrong about it being 16mm per.

Edit:

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

The #Packers are signing LB Preston Smith to a 4-year deal worth a base value of $52M, source said. He gets $16M to sign. He gets $27.5M over the first two years. 

source: Rapp

Yeah, that's a bit more than I had in mind. But there's potential here.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

What exactly are they stealing?

They guaranteed 30% of the money in that deal. He'll be easy to cut after two years. 16m guaranteed for a rusher like Smith in this market is a total steal. That's less in 4 years than the AAV for an off ball linebacker.

Archived