Preston Smith signs with Green Bay

49erurtaza

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They guaranteed 30% of the money in that deal. He'll be easy to cut after two years. 16m guaranteed for a rusher like Smith in this market is a total steal. That's less in 4 years than the AAV for an off ball linebacker.

But Smith isn’t a great pass rusher.  He’s a backup/ rotational player.  I’m not going to say you overpaid for him given that OLBs are valuable as a position, but paying $52 mil to a backup isn’t a “steal”. 

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

But Smith isn’t a great pass rusher.  He’s a backup/ rotational player.  I’m not going to say you overpaid for him given that OLBs are valuable as a position, but paying $52 mil to a backup isn’t a “steal”. 

The guarenteed money aspect of the deal is what he's referring to as a steal. Smith was one of the best EDGE in FA. I think it's a solid deal. 

Just now, ReadyToThump said:

The guarenteed money aspect of the deal is what he's referring to as a steal. Smith was one of the best EDGE in FA. I think it's a solid deal. 

He had 4 sacks last year, with Jon Allen, Daron Payne, and Matt Ioannidis in front of him, and Ryan Kerrigan on the other side.  Dude was a huge disappointment.  The Redskins didn't even make an attempt to retain him.  How exactly was he one of the best edge players available?  

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

He had 4 sacks last year, with Jon Allen, Daron Payne, and Matt Ioannidis in front of him, and Ryan Kerrigan on the other side.  Dude was a huge disappointment.  The Redskins didn't even make an attempt to retain him.  How exactly was he one of the best edge players available?  

i've never heard of those guys except kerrigan

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i've never heard of those guys except kerrigan

You've never heard of Payne and Allen, both first round picks who played for Alabama's national title winning team?  Ok.  

Ioannidis had a break out year last year.  

26 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Man does this mean we have to stop mocking Brian Burns to the Packers?

He would still be a good pick for the Packers IMO.  That's a nice rotation with the Smith duo.

It does open it up though so that if Burns is gone or someone else is on the board that they like a lot, they can go BPA...

27 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Raw numbers aren't the entire picture, trust me.  Teams make these contracts look a LOT fluffier than they actually are, but players usually don't see the end of the contracts especially those that hit FA.  He's going to see 2 years, maybe 3 years and then he'll be released and the Packers are off the hook for everything but the signing bonus.

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Total value is irrelevant. Guarantee is all that matters.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Total value is irrelevant. Guarantee is all that matters.

Its not irrelevant, base salary still counts against the cap (as long as he's on the roster that year).  If you want to say base salary in the last year of the deal is irrelevant fine, but I hate how people act like guaranteed money is all that matters.  

23 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

How was he not one of the best available? Do you see whos left to sign? Smith is a solid player, there's no denying that. He's a disruptive player, doesn't always mean you're gonna be a double digit sack guy. Hes a perfect fit in Pettines scheme and we just became a better football team by signing him. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Its not irrelevant, base salary still counts against the cap (as long as he's on the roster that year).  If you want to say base salary in the last year of the deal is irrelevant fine, but I hate how people act like guaranteed money is all that matters.  

Sure, if he doesn't play well he'll be cut after two years. The Packers are a team that usually bump the AAV to get guys to sign for less guaranteed. We have the cap for the next two years to easily fit him, down the road he either earns the money and stays or is easily cut.

Archived