Preston Smith signs with Green Bay

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, ReadyToThump said:

How was he not one of the best available? Do you see whos left to sign? Smith is a solid player, there's no denying that. He's a disruptive player, doesn't always mean you're gonna be a double digit sack guy. Hes a perfect fit in Pettines scheme and we just became a better football team by signing him. 

The issue I had was with a Packer fan posting they got a "steal" here.  This signing is not a steal.  He got what a backup/rotational edge guy should get.  He is not a star, he's a role player.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

The issue I had was with a Packer fan posting they got a "steal" here.  This signing is not a steal.  He got what a backup/rotational edge guy should get.  He is not a star, he's a role player.  

Okay, maybe I misunderstood you a bit, my bad. 

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Its not irrelevant, base salary still counts against the cap (as long as he's on the roster that year).  If you want to say base salary in the last year of the deal is irrelevant fine, but I hate how people act like guaranteed money is all that matters.  

It really is.  Nobody cares how much they're making in Y4, because FA signings will get released before then.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I'm interested to see what Smith got. He's always intrigued me because he has the tools to be a really disruptive guy, but he's never consistently put them together. With the right coach and scheme, he could. But if they paid him a bunch of money, that's a huge risk to take on a guy who hasn't done it.

The packers new OLB coach is reallygood. He got Ford and Houston playing at a high level.

Smith should do well there

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It really is.  Nobody cares how much they're making in Y4, because FA signings will get released before then.

It really isn't, because the amount of non-guaranteed salary isn't contained entirely in the last year of a deal. What his salary is in years 1-3 matters, because all of that counts toward the cap hit in those seasons. 

If he's making $1M in base salary in years 1-3 and $30M in base salary in year 4, then it's irrelevant. But since that doesn't happen, yes, there's still a functional and meaningful difference between 4/$20M with $16M guaranteed and 4/$52M with $16M guaranteed.

Just now, e16bball said:

It really isn't, because the amount of non-guaranteed salary isn't contained entirely in the last year of a deal. What his salary is in years 1-3 matters, because all of that counts toward the cap hit in those seasons. 

If he's making $1M in base salary in years 1-3 and $30M in base salary in year 4, then it's irrelevant. But since that doesn't happen, yes, there's still a functional and meaningful difference between 4/$20M with $16M guaranteed and 4/$52M with $16M guaranteed.

Except that isn't the case.  The argument at the end of the season is this player worth their cap hit?  If the answer is no, the next question is does it make sense to release the player?  If you incur a bigger dead cap than their current cap hit, you're going to hold onto that player until the players' contract creates cap space by releasing them.  FA contracts are usually backloaded as is, so you're eating the dead cap in order to clear salary.  He's not going to see the entirety of his contract IMO, so the less the guarantees the better.

54 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The guy led the NFL in pressure rate in 2017. He's not a star, he's not a role player. He's a good starter. He was down a bit last year, if he wasn't, he would've been paid 16-17m. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The guy led the NFL in pressure rate in 2017. He's not a star, he's not a role player. He's a good starter. He was down a bit last year, if he wasn't, he would've been paid 16-17m. 

You don’t watch Redskins games then.

1 minute ago, bananabucket said:

Man even after these two big signings I'm not sure the Packers pass rush got much better.  These were two guys I had penciled in as FA flops.

I hope you are right!

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't need to watch Redskins games, they total those stats for that very reason. Smith led the NFL in pressure rate. That's not a role player.

They define a pressure as being within a certain amount of feet of the QB, not whether the play was impacted in any way. 

Archived