Preston Smith signs with Green Bay

49erurtaza

22 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Man even after these two big signings I'm not sure the Packers pass rush got much better.  These were two guys I had penciled in as FA flops.

They gotta be better than what we had last season.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It really doesn't.  It's essentially a 2 year, $27.5M deal, which isn't a bad rate for signing an EDGE in FA.  If the alternative was to pay out of the behind for Trey Flowers, I'll take Preston Smith easily.

what really doesnt? And in year three theyd be "paying" him 8 million to not be on the roster. If he underperforms it would obviously save them money but thats not really ideal. You paid what you had to mostly, but i dont  think many look at this and say what a great deal for gb. Its pretty much full market value.

Flowers got full market value as well, hes just that much better than smith which is why he got paid so much more. I mean, if you have the cap why wouldnt you want the better player?

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

what really doesnt? And in year three theyd be "paying" him 8 million to not be on the roster. If he underperforms it would obviously save them money but thats not really ideal. You paid what you had to mostly, but i dont  think many look at this and say what a great deal for gb. Its pretty much full market value.

His contract really isn't that bad.  The salary cap is constantly rising, and you'd be hard pressed to find a FA who doesn't have any long-term cap ramifications.  You sign a player in FA, they want a signing bonus.  That signing bonus is going to hit at some point down the line.

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Flowers got full market value as well, hes just that much better than smith which is why he got paid so much more. I mean, if you have the cap why wouldnt you want the better player?

Because if things go poorly, I'd rather have the lower dead cap.  That's Preston Smith.  You're assuming that Flowers hits, which isn't a guarantee.  Remember Jamie Collins when he left New England?

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Pettine does some unique things with EDGE players in the run game. 95% of the time you'll see an EDGE guy hold the "edge" in the run game as his full time responsibility. Well with Pettine we do a lot of run stunts out of base looks where the interior guys crash A gaps, the EDGE players stunt inside while the ILBs stunt and hold the edge. It had varying results of success last year but Matthews and Fackrell really aren't the types to fit this kind of duty. Quite possible the Smiths' were the top guys on Pettine's wish list. Bigger, longer arms, strong, experience battling guards, these guys are made for Pettine. Both remind me of Calvin Pace who thrived under Pettine.

Just because Flowers is better doesn't mean he was better for us.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

His contract really isn't that bad.  The salary cap is constantly rising, and you'd be hard pressed to find a FA who doesn't have any long-term cap ramifications.  You sign a player in FA, they want a signing bonus.  That signing bonus is going to hit at some point down the line.

Because if things go poorly, I'd rather have the lower dead cap.  That's Preston Smith.  You're assuming that Flowers hits, which isn't a guarantee.  Remember Jamie Collins when he left New England?

i dont think the contract is bad or good. as i said i think its full market value. as far as smith over flowers, i dont agree with that logic it all. signing lesser players cause they will cost less if they bust just sounds backwards to me.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Pettine does some unique things with EDGE players in the run game. 95% of the time you'll see an EDGE guy hold the "edge" in the run game as his full time responsibility. Well with Pettine we do a lot of run stunts out of base looks where the interior guys crash A gaps, the EDGE players stunt inside while the ILBs stunt and hold the edge. It had varying results of success last year but Matthews and Fackrell really aren't the types to fit this kind of duty. Quite possible the Smiths' were the top guys on Pettine's wish list. Bigger, longer arms, strong, experience battling guards, these guys are made for Pettine. Both remind me of Calvin Pace who thrived under Pettine.

Just because Flowers is better doesn't mean he was better for us.

1. thats wasnt cwoods reasoning

2. scheme matters to an extent but good coaches shoukd be able to tinker what they do to highlight the players they have.

Archived