Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The Patriots win because they have the greatest headcoach and QB combo of all-time. It’s really that simple. Belichick is a defensive coach and half the time their defense sucks. I think they ride off into the sunset together and the Patriots end up being mediocre for awhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The Patriots win because they have the greatest headcoach and QB combo of all-time. It’s really that simple. Belichick is a defensive coach and half the time their defense sucks. I think they ride off into the sunset together and the Patriots end up being mediocre for awhile. 

Agreed. That’s why I said if Brady had played last decade with the Ravens or Steelers defenses, he would’ve still won Super Bowls, and who knows, may more than he has won in New England.

I think when Brady retires and if Belichick stays that they’ll be mediocre for a while. Now, when Belichick leaves the Pats they’re going to be bottom feeders again for a little while. Pats fans don’t really know how good they have it and that their honeymoon isn’t going to last that much longer.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the reason Phila keeps trading for these players in the last year of their rookie deals is bc they value comp picks.

I don’t really understand that though bc they’re giving up a natural pick and a conditional pick for a player for one year to get a comp pick which will be the last pick of probably the same round or a later round in the year?

hmm 🤔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I read the reason Phila keeps trading for these players in the last year of their rookie deals is bc they value comp picks.

I don’t really understand that though bc they’re giving up a natural pick and a conditional pick for a player for one year to get a comp pick which will be the last pick of probably the same round or a later round in the year?

hmm 🤔 

Banking on the comp pick being higher than what they gave up. What did they just give up for Howard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Banking on the comp pick being higher than what they gave up. What did they just give up for Howard?

Ahh... yes, this makes sense now:

 

Bears trade Jordan Howard to Eagles. Wow! 😮  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/28/bears-trade-jordan-howard-to-eagles/ via @ProFootballTalk

Running back 

Jordan Howard has been traded from the Bears to the Eagles. Philly has announced that they have secured the rights to Howard in exchange for a conditional 2020 draft pick.ESPN reports that the Bears will receive a sixth-round pick in 2020, and that it can become a fifth-round pick.


Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ahh... yes, this makes sense now:

 

Bears trade Jordan Howard to Eagles. Wow! 😮  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/28/bears-trade-jordan-howard-to-eagles/ via @ProFootballTalk

 

 

 

Yup. So if he balls out and they want to keep him? hey are in good position.

If he balls out and they don't? Well, then it's gonna be a 4th rounder probably. AND they got production out of him.

If he flames out? Then they only spent a 2020 6th rounder to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yup. So if he balls out and they want to keep him? hey are in good position.

If he balls out and they don't? Well, then it's gonna be a 4th rounder probably. AND they got production out of him.

If he flames out? Then they only spent a 2020 6th rounder to find out.

Very smart. Can we steal Howie Roseman?

Djax wanted to go back to Phila bc he likes him and respects him. Let’s remember, the only reason Djax, Maclin & McCoy left/were traded from Phila was bc of that idiot Chip Kelley!

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Very smart. Can we steal Howie Roseman?

Djax wanted to go back to Phila bc he likes him and respects him. Let’s remember, the only reason Djax, Maclin & McCoy left/were traded from Phila was bc of that idiot Chip Kelley!

How nice it would be if they competent people running the front office instead of a sycophantic snake-in-the-grass ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles trade for RB averaging less than 4.0 YPC the last two seasons on a rental with likely comp pick after the season:

Wow, very smart, they really know how to play the comp pick game, wish we had a competent FO to make moves like that.

Redskins trade for recent All-Pro FS on a rental with likely comp pick after season:

Wow, such idiots, trading a pick for a rental with no extension and maybe only hope for a comp pick, wish we had a competent FO that wouldn’t make moves like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Eagles trade for RB averaging less than 4.0 YPC the last two seasons on a rental with likely comp pick after the season:

Wow, very smart, they really know how to play the comp pick game, wish we had a competent FO to make moves like that.

Redskins trade for recent All-Pro FS on a rental with likely comp pick after season:

Wow, such idiots, trading a pick for a rental with no extension and maybe only hope for a comp pick, wish we had a competent FO that wouldn’t make moves like that

Didn’t think of it that way but wow! Lol 😂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Eagles trade for RB averaging less than 4.0 YPC the last two seasons on a rental with likely comp pick after the season:

Wow, very smart, they really know how to play the comp pick game, wish we had a competent FO to make moves like that.

Redskins trade for recent All-Pro FS on a rental with likely comp pick after season:

Wow, such idiots, trading a pick for a rental with no extension and maybe only hope for a comp pick, wish we had a competent FO that wouldn’t make moves like that

Eagles gave up a 6th, we gave up a 4th.  Eagles get Howard for 16 games, we had Haha for like half a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Eagles gave up a 6th, we gave up a 4th.  Eagles get Howard for 16 games, we had Haha for like half a season.

Beat me to it. Dix would've had to ball out for the remaining 7 games for us to get that 4th back. And even then you're losing ground. Because we would be losing a 2019 4th and getting back a 2020 4th (which is a 2019 5th).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Beat me to it. Dix would've had to ball out for the remaining 7 games for us to get that 4th back. And even then you're losing ground. Because we would be losing a 2019 4th and getting back a 2020 4th (which is a 2019 5th).

Dix also should’ve been re-signed for what he ended up being paid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Eagles gave up a 6th, we gave up a 4th.  Eagles get Howard for 16 games, we had Haha for like half a season.

 

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Beat me to it. Dix would've had to ball out for the remaining 7 games for us to get that 4th back. And even then you're losing ground. Because we would be losing a 2019 4th and getting back a 2020 4th (which is a 2019 5th).

The difference between a 4th and a 6th (that will conditional to a 5th if he plays well enough to garner a comp pick) is the line between genius and idiocy?

The difference between 16 games of a decent RB and 7 games of a decent FS is the line between competence and incompetence?

The line between genius and stupidity can be a fine one — but it ain’t that fine. Even if the Howard deal is the better one (and I agree it probably is), you’d have to agree it’s only marginally so. The concept behind the deals is identical: get a veteran player at a position of need; see if he can help the team make the playoffs; get a chance to see how he fits with roster and scheme; get a leg up on re-signing him if you want to; get a comp pick if you don’t re-sign him. The details are different, but not so substantially as to make the Eagles geniuses and the Redskins morons — unless that’s what you already wanted to conclude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, e16bball said:

The difference between a 4th and a 6th (that will conditional to a 5th if he plays well enough to garner a comp pick) is the line between genius and idiocy?

Let's clear the decks on terminology. You were the one to label it genius and idiocy. I've said the Howard trade was smart. The Dix trade, wasn't. My definition of trade genius is different. To me, a genius trade is getting the Vikings to hand over a bunch of picks for Herschel Walker. Or getting the Saints to trade their entire draft for Ricky Williams. Things of that nature. Idiocy is trading up to pick a project QB at #2 while giving up 3 firsts and a second. 

Quote

The difference between 16 games of a decent RB and 7 games of a decent FS is the line between competence and incompetence?

Absolutely. When you consider that 

A) The price paid for the RB is a 6th (conditional 5th). Not too many starters are usually found in these rounds.

B) The price paid for the FS is a 4th. I can still find decent starters in certain positions in the 4th (not as many as the first 3 rounds, but 4ths are still fairly valuable to me)

C) The FS was coming in, mid-season, into a defense that was already set. Had no time to learn much of anything in terms of the calls, the responsibilities on a single play, etc... so this was going to be something where they sit for that first week (which I think he basically did) and then would not be 100% effective for about another 2 weeks after that. So you're left with roughly 4 weeks of good play. Color me not impressed by this decision making. And with the price that we paid (see B), this was a stupid move. Because we had ZERO chance of getting a comp pick and Dix was going to want to hit FA.

D) The RB is traded for now. He gets to go through all the OTAs, minicamps, training camp AND the entire regular season. It's set up for success. Will it be a success? Who knows? But the method by which the acquisition was made does not put the player and team behind the 8 ball in terms of trying to figure out if they will mesh with the team, or will do well, and is worth resigning. Oh and also, ensures that whatever success or failure happens, is not a result of the team setting the player up to fail (it's all on the player at that point). Couple that with the price paid? Yeah. This is a smart move.

Quote

The line between genius and stupidity can be a fine one — but it ain’t that fine. Even if the Howard deal is the better one (and I agree it probably is), you’d have to agree it’s only marginally so.

Disagree. See above. It's more than marginal. One was set up to fail. The other isn't.

Quote

The concept behind the deals is identical: get a veteran player at a position of need; see if he can help the team make the playoffs; get a chance to see how he fits with roster and scheme; get a leg up on re-signing him if you want to; get a comp pick if you don’t re-sign him.

Correct. And as I showed above, when one player has an entire offseason and then entire season to learn the playbook, mesh with the players and coaches and then a full season to play, he has a better chance of doing the above (including getting your comp pick back) When a player only has a few chances late in the year to show his work, you're not setting yourself up to get a better look at him, resign him, or get a decent comp pick (which is exactly what happened). 

Quote

The details are different, but not so substantially as to make the Eagles geniuses and the Redskins morons — unless that’s what you already wanted to conclude. 

Yes, the details ARE different. And they are different enough to conclude to me that one deal is smart and one wasn't.

Were they genius/idiocy levels? Nope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×