Packers signing former DEN OG Billy Turner (4 years $28M, $11M in Year 1)

FAH1223

5 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

What are you talking about? When people have evidence of something, they have proof of fact. This is one of the strangest conversations I've even had in my life. I'm clearly stating this as my opinion. An opinion I've seen shared by countless others, btw. Why does the sanctity of your world weigh so heavily upon my opinion. I'm flattered but more annoyed than anything. Is it life or death for you to change my mind that those 6 DBs were all BPA and not reaches on need?

Should I lie to you and tell you that I changed my mind and now believe Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, Kevin King, Josh Jones, Jaire Alexander, and Josh Jackson were all the best players available when they were drafted by the Packers?

If necessary, because I like you, I will tell that lie if you are in danger or in anguish. I will lie and say I believe the Packers made those 6 choices because they were the best players available on the draft board.

Wow, talk about playing the victim.

I'm not an fan personally with the contract we've given him. He's a bit of a nomad in the NFL so i'm not sure what he has done to show he's worth this contract.

I suppose other teams that run ZBS were involved in the bidding which drove the price up a bit. The Rams for example has lost Saffold to free agency so maybe they saw Turner as an ideal affordable replacement. Broncos had some interest in retaining him, maybe the 49ers, Titans and Seahawks may have been in the bidding. That would explain his higher than expected contract.

If we were bidding against ourselves...not good.

17 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm not an fan personally with the contract we've given him. He's a bit of a nomad in the NFL so i'm not sure what he has done to show he's worth this contract.

I suppose other teams that run ZBS were involved in the bidding which drove the price up a bit. The Rams for example has lost Saffold to free agency so maybe they saw Turner as an ideal affordable replacement. Broncos had some interest in retaining him, maybe the 49ers, Titans and Seahawks may have been in the bidding. That would explain his higher than expected contract.

No chance we were bidding against ourselves for that price tag 

43 minutes ago, Chili said:

Probably not. That contract says they expect him to start on the line next year, likely RG. But he also can play all  spots on the line... sans center.

That flexibility is valuable, which likely pushed the price up.

3 hours ago, Green19 said:

Probably not. That contract says they expect him to start on the line next year, likely RG. But he also can play all  spots on the line... sans center.

That flexibility is valuable, which likely pushed the price up.

If you look at the break down of the contract a page or two ago, it looks rather painless to cut him in two years if he is not living up to his contract.  I don't pretend to know anything about more than 5 or 6 guards in the league.  I haven't heard that he stinks out loud, so I assume that he upgrades what we had last season.

I live in Denver and talked to a few friends and coworkers about him.

The consensus was....

"Who? Oh yeah. I was kinda worried at first but then forgot all about him."

Completely forgetting/not noticing you have a backup OL starting 11 games for your team is pretty much the best compliment a casual fan can give. 

I have no idea about the player, but I like the concept.  I don't yet, but I'd sure like to trust the Packers scouting!  So, if they decided that this guy is a starter and worth modest starter money, I'd love to see them be correct. :) Kind of like when Lane Taylor replaced Sitton and did fine.  

The $$ obviously isn't star-level, but it's at a decent level where they obviously think he might be a decent, not-below-average starter.  And he's at an age and career point where he might be ready to settle in and be ascending.  

Taking a shot and the $$ spent suggests they view him as potentially superior to the McCray, Bell, Patrick guys we have on the roster.  So, that's good. 

I think the $$ is also flexible.  Maybe he's solid for all four years.  Maybe he's decent, but we draft a 4th-rounder who ends up developing beautifully, and looks like a potential stud and better than Butler; that would be great, and next year the draft pick can start, and you can either release Butler or make him a decent bench guy.  

But whatever questions Butler might have, I suspect he's probably a better plug-and-play guy now than a 4th/5th round draft pick would be, particularly one who played college tackle and is not only adjusting to the NFL but also adjusting to a position-switch to guard.  So Butler in a sense buys at least a year to see whether D+D can come up with somebody better.  

Whether Butler is the right guy or not, I have no idea.  But the concept of a mid-priced ready-now 26-year-old whose best years might be right in front of him appeals to me very much.  

46 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If you look at the break down of the contract a page or two ago, it looks rather painless to cut him in two years if he is not living up to his contract.  I don't pretend to know anything about more than 5 or 6 guards in the league.  I haven't heard that he stinks out loud, so I assume that he upgrades what we had last season.

Apparently he also has taken games at RT for Denver... and he isn’t  going to be confused for an all pro there but he can get you out of a game and looks like he can spot the starter a few games 3-5 while they heal.

If he was like your full time starter... you would want the upgrade. But a guard that can be protected and can jump to tackle in a pinch... it’s not surprising what he got. Starter G, who at worse is your 6th man.

Archived