Preseason, Week 4: Dolphins (1-2) at VIKINGS (2-1)

swede700

Give the roster spot to whatever street free agent will be starting on our offensive line for the opener.

If Heinicke is still dinged up, which I'm guessing he will be since ribs don't heal that quick, you absolutely keep Leidner on the roster. We went nearly a month without a 4th QB on the roster and only added one because of the injury to Heinicke. If Heinicke were able to practice full go last week, and we never signed Leidner, what would we have done for the Miami game had a QB gotten hurt? Play the one who's still healthy. That's my answer.

13 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Give the roster spot to whatever street free agent will be starting on our offensive line for the opener.

If Heinicke is still dinged up, which I'm guessing he will be since ribs don't heal that quick, you absolutely keep Leidner on the roster. We went nearly a month without a 4th QB on the roster and only added one because of the injury to Heinicke. If Heinicke were able to practice full go last week, and we never signed Leidner, what would we have done for the Miami game had a QB gotten hurt? Play the one who's still healthy. That's my answer.

The injury to Heinicke may have only been part of the reason for bringing in Leidner.  It's quite possible that they've always had an intention at bringing in a 4th QB for the 4th game, but chose not to until a certain point to maximize the practice reps for Heinicke and Keenum.  That can't be ruled out.  

41 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I agree with Semper and Klomp.  They aren't going to cut Leidner before Thursday.  That would be a pointless move and would only invite unwarranted risk.  

I don't really see risk in cutting Leidner. That implies Leidner has value. There are 2 dozen QBs on the street I would sign before him. Terrible.

The risk is that it creates a situation where you would have to play Keenum and he potentially could get injured.  Therefore, unwarranted risk.  Leidner has value in that he's a warm body who is able to play instead...the same as any of the other 2 dozen street QBs.  The game is the most meaningless game of the preseason, therefore why risk your primary backup QB in this game.  If Bradford had a history of being durable, I'd have no problem playing Keenum and taking the risk.  But, he's not, so they need to protect the backup too.

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

if anything, you keep Leidner on the Practice Squad, not on the 53 man roster.

Practice squad? The 53? Maybe I am confused but I didn't think anyone was suggesting you keep him on either. The team will keep him through the forth preseason game to play him there and then cut him afterwards. There is little reason to cut him before the 4th preseason game. I don't think there is anyone that thinks he is even worth a practice squad spot after cuts need to be made.

52 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Practice squad? The 53? Maybe I am confused but I didn't think anyone was suggesting you keep him on either. The team will keep him through the forth preseason game to play him there and then cut him afterwards. There is little reason to cut him before the 4th preseason game. I don't think there is anyone that thinks he is even worth a practice squad spot after cuts need to be made.

Makes sense. My initial impression was that we were speaking of this game and into the season. I found it strange haha

7 hours ago, disaacs said:

The injury to Heinicke may have only been part of the reason for bringing in Leidner.  It's quite possible that they've always had an intention at bringing in a 4th QB for the 4th game, but chose not to until a certain point to maximize the practice reps for Heinicke and Keenum.  That can't be ruled out.  

Agree with this. They may have brought in a QB for the 4th preseason game no matter what.

Who is Brad Sorenson? Your mop up the preseason QB for preseason game 4 in 2016

When was Brad Sorenson signed? August 20th, 2016.

When was Mitch Leidner signed? August 20th, 2017

Who is Mitch Leidner? 

Quarterback Mitch Leidner said Tuesday’s he’s unsure if he’ll play in Thursday’s preseason finale against Miami, but either way, the former University of Minnesota quarterback said he’s enjoyed his time with the Vikings over the past week.

Leidner: “It’s pretty crazy how far you can come in a week, but I’m really starting to get the playbook down and figure out what’s going on offensively and the personnel as well. It’s been great, everything you could ask for when you’re in that situation and just hoping to get that phone call and get an opportunity.I’m very fortunate and thankful to the Vikings for giving me this opportunity. I’ve really enjoyed the first week.” 

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Notebook-Collins-Keenum-Have-Minds-on-Family-Friends-in-Houston/364ee953-87fc-46a6-b3a2-d27e6bf3b493

20 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Agree with this. They may have brought in a QB for the 4th preseason game no matter what.

Who is Brad Sorenson? Your mop up the preseason QB for preseason game 4 in 2016

When was Brad Sorenson signed? August 20th, 2016.

When was Mitch Leidner signed? August 20th, 2017

Who is Mitch Leidner? 

Fair enough, I would point out that Heinicke was also hurt at this point last pre-season because of his door-kicking. Then again, before that, we would have had four QBs on the roster anyway 9_9

6 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

Fair enough, I would point out that Heinicke was also hurt at this point last pre-season because of his door-kicking.

But Teddy was healthy at that point.

QB1: Bridgewater
QB2: Hill
QB3: Stave

34 minutes ago, Klomp said:

But Teddy was healthy at that point.

QB1: Bridgewater
QB2: Hill
QB3: Stave

Correct, but there was also a difference, as Sorensen was released prior to the 4th game of the preseason, as he was part of the initial cut to 75, so the original plan I imagine was going to be Hill and Stave playing in the 4th game, but then Teddy got injured the day after the cut, so Sorensen was brought back and he and Stave played the game vs the Rams.

Archived