Packers release Nick Perry

duxrule

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Precisely. By just releasing him his entire cap hit accelerates into 2019. If they June 1st him, it gets split between 2019 and 2020 after June 1st.

Has it been noted if we're are doing pre or post June?

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

Were the savings really the same either way?

Standard release:
2019 Savings: 3.3M immediately
2020 Savings: 14.3M

June 1st release:
2019 Savings: None prior to June 1st, after June 1st: 10.7M
2020 Savings: 6.9M

Basically GB prioritized an extra 7.4M in cap space in 2020 over the 7.4M in 2019 after June 1st, which to me makes sense. They've largely done their FA work, so they don't need extra space for this year. Clear the decks as much as you can for 2020.

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Standard release:

June 1st release:

Basically GB prioritized an extra 7.4M in cap space in 2020 over the 7.4M in 2019 after June 1st, which to me makes sense. They've largely done their FA work, so they don't need extra space for this year. Clear the decks as much as you can for 2020.

Yeah just read that in the other thread. Thanks Rcon for posting the info, i need the help.

Just now, PACKRULE said:

Yeah just read that in the other thread. Thanks Rcon for posting the info, i need the help.

Yeah the cap stuff can be very confusing. Took me a long time to get comfortable with it. I still always check my work with other sources.

20 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Standard release:

June 1st release:

Is 2020 when we have to pay Clark?

1 minute ago, Toddfather said:

Is 2020 when we have to pay Clark?

They should have plenty for Clark. If they take the 5th-round option it'll probably be like 8.8m cap hit. Y1 of an extension is probably not much different. Using some estimations, I'm guessing they'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35m in cap space next year, not including Clark. Alot of $ coming off the books with Daniels, Bulaga, and Crosby. Graham might be a cut candidate as well depending on how he performs this year.

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

Standard release:

June 1st release:

You're forgetting the rollover. Whatever doesn't get spent in 2019 (IE, the amount of Perry's saved money) would be rolled over into 2020. the dollars are the same.

The only reason you don't use a June 1st cut every time is that you only get two per year, or there's a roster bonus involved that comes into affect between the cut date and June 1st.

That isn't to say that it necessarily means the Packers are waiting to use their June 1st cuts, but they didn't use them yet. I don't know if Perry had any kind of roster bonus to make this worth it for the Packers to sacrifice that flexibility. All of the stupid cap sites already updated when I was at work.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're forgetting the rollover. Whatever doesn't get spent in 2019 (IE, the amount of Perry's saved money) would be rolled over into 2020. the dollars are the same.

The only reason you don't use a June 1st cut every time is that you only get two per year, or there's a roster bonus involved that comes into affect between the cut date and June 1st.

That isn't to say that it necessarily means the Packers are waiting to use their June 1st cuts, but they didn't use them yet. I don't know if Perry had any kind of roster bonus to make this worth it for the Packers to sacrifice that flexibility. All of the stupid cap sites already updated when I was at work.

I think with a June 1st cut, the cap you save does not become available until after June 1st.  It essentially stays on your books as "unusable" in FA until then.  At least that is what my interpretation is.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Yea I was frustrated by that when I noticed his contract stuff is now hidden unless you have a membership to certain sites. I think he had like a $5m roster bonus due (maybe triggering in few days?). Just not sure how that impacts the cap in regards to the June 1st stuff, since in that situation, his contract would be treated as if he's still on the team until June 1st.

5 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

They should have plenty for Clark. If they take the 5th-round option it'll probably be like 8.8m cap hit. Y1 of an extension is probably not much different. Using some estimations, I'm guessing they'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35m in cap space next year, not including Clark. Alot of $ coming off the books with Daniels, Bulaga, and Crosby. Graham might be a cut candidate as well depending on how he performs this year.

Isn't Graham a free agent in 2020?

I hope Perry does well wherever he ends up.  I said earlier that I was done with him being on the team.  He just never could stay healthy.  

Archived