Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
duxrule

Packers release Nick Perry

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Precisely. By just releasing him his entire cap hit accelerates into 2019. If they June 1st him, it gets split between 2019 and 2020 after June 1st.

Has it been noted if we're are doing pre or post June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PACKRULE said:

Has it been noted if we're are doing pre or post June?

Just a standard release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Just a standard release.

Were the savings really the same either way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

Were the savings really the same either way?

Standard release:
2019 Savings: 3.3M immediately
2020 Savings: 14.3M

June 1st release:
2019 Savings: None prior to June 1st, after June 1st: 10.7M
2020 Savings: 6.9M

Basically GB prioritized an extra 7.4M in cap space in 2020 over the 7.4M in 2019 after June 1st, which to me makes sense. They've largely done their FA work, so they don't need extra space for this year. Clear the decks as much as you can for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Standard release:
2019 Savings: 3.3M immediately
2020 Savings: 14.3M

June 1st release:
2019 Savings: None prior to June 1st, after June 1st: 10.7M
2020 Savings: 6.9M

Basically GB prioritized an extra 7.4M in cap space in 2020 over the 7.4M in 2019 after June 1st, which to me makes sense. They've largely done their FA work, so they don't need extra space for this year. Clear the decks as much as you can for 2020.

Yeah just read that in the other thread. Thanks Rcon for posting the info, i need the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PACKRULE said:

Yeah just read that in the other thread. Thanks Rcon for posting the info, i need the help.

Yeah the cap stuff can be very confusing. Took me a long time to get comfortable with it. I still always check my work with other sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised at all. Honestly I don't think Green Bay brings anyone back. Gute is ready for all new blood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Standard release:
2019 Savings: 3.3M immediately
2020 Savings: 14.3M

June 1st release:
2019 Savings: None prior to June 1st, after June 1st: 10.7M
2020 Savings: 6.9M

Basically GB prioritized an extra 7.4M in cap space in 2020 over the 7.4M in 2019 after June 1st, which to me makes sense. They've largely done their FA work, so they don't need extra space for this year. Clear the decks as much as you can for 2020.

Is 2020 when we have to pay Clark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toddfather said:

Is 2020 when we have to pay Clark?

He has the fifth year option for 2020, he's a FA after the 2020 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Toddfather said:

Is 2020 when we have to pay Clark?

They should have plenty for Clark. If they take the 5th-round option it'll probably be like 8.8m cap hit. Y1 of an extension is probably not much different. Using some estimations, I'm guessing they'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35m in cap space next year, not including Clark. Alot of $ coming off the books with Daniels, Bulaga, and Crosby. Graham might be a cut candidate as well depending on how he performs this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

Standard release:
2019 Savings: 3.3M immediately
2020 Savings: 14.3M

June 1st release:
2019 Savings: None prior to June 1st, after June 1st: 10.7M
2020 Savings: 6.9M

Basically GB prioritized an extra 7.4M in cap space in 2020 over the 7.4M in 2019 after June 1st, which to me makes sense. They've largely done their FA work, so they don't need extra space for this year. Clear the decks as much as you can for 2020.

You're forgetting the rollover. Whatever doesn't get spent in 2019 (IE, the amount of Perry's saved money) would be rolled over into 2020. the dollars are the same.

The only reason you don't use a June 1st cut every time is that you only get two per year, or there's a roster bonus involved that comes into affect between the cut date and June 1st.

That isn't to say that it necessarily means the Packers are waiting to use their June 1st cuts, but they didn't use them yet. I don't know if Perry had any kind of roster bonus to make this worth it for the Packers to sacrifice that flexibility. All of the stupid cap sites already updated when I was at work.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're forgetting the rollover. Whatever doesn't get spent in 2019 (IE, the amount of Perry's saved money) would be rolled over into 2020. the dollars are the same.

The only reason you don't use a June 1st cut every time is that you only get two per year, or there's a roster bonus involved that comes into affect between the cut date and June 1st.

That isn't to say that it necessarily means the Packers are waiting to use their June 1st cuts, but they didn't use them yet. I don't know if Perry had any kind of roster bonus to make this worth it for the Packers to sacrifice that flexibility. All of the stupid cap sites already updated when I was at work.

I think with a June 1st cut, the cap you save does not become available until after June 1st.  It essentially stays on your books as "unusable" in FA until then.  At least that is what my interpretation is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're forgetting the rollover. Whatever doesn't get spent in 2019 (IE, the amount of Perry's saved money) would be rolled over into 2020. the dollars are the same.

The only reason you don't use a June 1st cut every time is that you only get two per year, or there's a roster bonus involved that comes into affect between the cut date and June 1st.

That isn't to say that it necessarily means the Packers are waiting to use their June 1st cuts, but they didn't use them yet. I don't know if Perry had any kind of roster bonus to make this worth it for the Packers to sacrifice that flexibility. All of the stupid cap sites already updated when I was at work.

Yea I was frustrated by that when I noticed his contract stuff is now hidden unless you have a membership to certain sites. I think he had like a $5m roster bonus due (maybe triggering in few days?). Just not sure how that impacts the cap in regards to the June 1st stuff, since in that situation, his contract would be treated as if he's still on the team until June 1st.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought i read that Perry has a 4.9 million roster bonus due soon.  How does this play into the now/later cut?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

They should have plenty for Clark. If they take the 5th-round option it'll probably be like 8.8m cap hit. Y1 of an extension is probably not much different. Using some estimations, I'm guessing they'd have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35m in cap space next year, not including Clark. Alot of $ coming off the books with Daniels, Bulaga, and Crosby. Graham might be a cut candidate as well depending on how he performs this year.

Isn't Graham a free agent in 2020?

 

 

I hope Perry does well wherever he ends up.  I said earlier that I was done with him being on the team.  He just never could stay healthy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×