Bills Trade LB Reggie Ragland to Chiefs for 2019 4th Rounder

Soko

Always thought his high value was a head scratcher. May well be that he was just in a bad fit, but a heavy, immobile thumping linebacker is a bad fit in most schemes in today's NFL. Essentially a luxury player you plug in on the goal line or something 

Always thought this guy was overrated by many draft analysts.  Didn't strike me as a guy that would translate to the next level well.  

Looking at measurables he ran a 4.72 at Bama, probably would've been a 4.8 combine guy and I suspect his 3 cone would've been concerning.  Also for that thumper type i'd like to see more than 13 reps of the bench from a 250lb dude.  

1 hour ago, lark25 said:

Always thought this guy was overrated by many draft analysts.  Didn't strike me as a guy that would translate to the next level well.  

Looking at measurables he ran a 4.72 at Bama, probably would've been a 4.8 combine guy and I suspect his 3 cone would've been concerning.  Also for that thumper type i'd like to see more than 13 reps of the bench from a 250lb dude.  

I agree he was overrated going into the draft. The question is how much? He was a four star player coming out of HS, so some athleticism was there. If you say he was not top 50, fine. He did not miss it by much.

How much is left is another issue. In college he was very good at diagnosing a play right in front of him. That is a lot closer to LILB than MLB, which is what Buffalo had him playing. Even if he's a two down thumper, that's an asset they have not had. 

Also, this Chiefs team is thinking Super Bowl. Ragland has experience in the hunt.

J

I think he is well worth a 4th rounder. He's cheap, has plenty of talent and potential. Even considering the injury I think it's worth a roll of the dice to see what they can get out of him. The fourth round is where you start to spend picks on these kinds of gambles anyway. 

52 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

A 2019 pick now is pretty much nothing for a team willing to try out someone drafted so high. He had talent even if its just a 2 down thumper. Even if he looked bad its a 2019 4th

Agreed. I think if he is in the right situation and used correctly he can have a solid impact and the Chiefs look like they could be a good fit. 

1 hour ago, LeeEvans said:

Agreed. I think if he is in the right situation and used correctly he can have a solid impact and the Chiefs look like they could be a good fit. 

Maybe. I go back and forth on this one because he's obviously talented.

"used correctly" is somewhat in the hands of the opposing OC and QB who are going to use personnel groupings and formations to isolate him in a mismatch. Many of these offenses are now running packaged plays with a run/pass option and the QB decides ala Manning. If you see Reggie on the field, are you gonna run against him or target him in the passing game ? He's only a year out from his ACL, missed a lot of development time and wasn't a coverage demon to begin with

If he's on the field, he's fair game and the concept of "running downs/passing downs" isn't what it used to be. Cat and mouse continues

4 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

A 2019 pick now is pretty much nothing for a team willing to try out someone drafted so high. He had talent even if its just a 2 down thumper. Even if he looked bad its a 2019 4th

This is important to remember, for some of the doubters. It's a 2019 pick at the end of the 2017 offseason. And given our consistent success in recent years, it will probably be a mid to low 4th, too. That's incredibly low value. To us, at least. It has higher value to the Bills who are visibly not pursuing immediate rewards.

Archived