Rumours of Peppers replacement...

Aztec Hammer

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Was it his defense or Rivera's though? They were also bottom 10 in passer rating against in 2017 but were good against the run and top 3 in sacks.

They had pretty average corners. But he was probably better than anyone available.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

From what I have read I don't like the Wilks hire. Hope it was a good hire or at least the pass rush and offense make up for his flaws but I'm pessimistic on him. Don't like that he ran a nickel goalline defense last year. Don't like that he had the worst run defense last year (bottom 3 in ypa) and even though the pass defense didn't give up many yards they were bottom 10 in passer rating against. They were just always behind and couldn't stop the run. Arizona did get a lot of sacks last year, only Minnesota had more sacks per snap so maybe that will get us off of the field enough to be an effective defense.

Understandable concern. I think we'll be better off this year because we'll be scoring more points and opponents will be passing more.

Here's my thing: How smart will Wilks's defense be? I get angry when we're running idiotic defense given the play-by-play situation on the field.

-Gregg Williams putting Peppers on an island in 2017

-Gregg Williams struggling to figure out how to slow down Quincy Enunwa during the Jets game (it went wellll into the 2nd half)

-Gregg Williams playing prevent defense on 3rd and 14, which results in a 10 yard pass and receiver getting the first down because the defenders are on Mars.

-Gregg/Blake Williams continuously playing deep zone coverage vs. Lamar Jackson who just runs for 8 yards every time.

-Gregg Williams rarely disguising blitzes

If you can guess, I was happy we moved on from 3G. I appreciate his passion and leadership when becoming interim HC but I felt he was extremely rigid schematically. We gave him credit for halftime adjustments after teams put up 234098234 points but how much of that is also teams dialing it down a bit?

Who can remember the Shotgun-formation Draw play that the Ravens spammed over and over and over and over and over and over and over with Ray Rice years ago and we literally had no answer for an entire game? That's the kind of stuff that pisses me off.

I care less about base schemes and tendencies, and more about a coach's ability to be flexible, adjust quickly, and outsmart the opponent. I've read both good and bad things about the defenses of Steve Wilks. However, given his tendency to disguise blitzes (unlike 3G) and the strength of our D-Line, I think this can be a top 12 defense in the league next year if we stay healthy.

I'm not sure about Wilks but there's not much worse than knowing on 3rd down that a screen pass was coming and that the dogs were all coming.  I don't know why anyone ran anything else against us, because it worked every time. 

We'll see what happens.  I really want to see us bring in some help in the secondary via the draft though.  We have some real thin areas.  Being able to get pressure with four up front though will be a real asset this year. 

One thing I can guarantee is that we will find something to complain about

13 hours ago, Vee-Rex said:

Understandable concern. I think we'll be better off this year because we'll be scoring more points and opponents will be passing more.

Here's my thing: How smart will Wilks's defense be? I get angry when we're running idiotic defense given the play-by-play situation on the field.

-Gregg Williams putting Peppers on an island in 2017

-Gregg Williams struggling to figure out how to slow down Quincy Enunwa during the Jets game (it went wellll into the 2nd half)

-Gregg Williams playing prevent defense on 3rd and 14, which results in a 10 yard pass and receiver getting the first down because the defenders are on Mars.

-Gregg/Blake Williams continuously playing deep zone coverage vs. Lamar Jackson who just runs for 8 yards every time.

-Gregg Williams rarely disguising blitzes

If you can guess, I was happy we moved on from 3G. I appreciate his passion and leadership when becoming interim HC but I felt he was extremely rigid schematically. We gave him credit for halftime adjustments after teams put up 234098234 points but how much of that is also teams dialing it down a bit?

Who can remember the Shotgun-formation Draw play that the Ravens spammed over and over and over and over and over and over and over with Ray Rice years ago and we literally had no answer for an entire game? That's the kind of stuff that pisses me off.

I care less about base schemes and tendencies, and more about a coach's ability to be flexible, adjust quickly, and outsmart the opponent. I've read both good and bad things about the defenses of Steve Wilks. However, given his tendency to disguise blitzes (unlike 3G) and the strength of our D-Line, I think this can be a top 12 defense in the league next year if we stay healthy.

Its funny how people in hindsight conveniently forget about leading the NFL in turnovers by a fairly large amount (This means giving the offense the ball sometimes in plus territory and us not able to capitalize on a lot of those situations). I just like every other fan saw that we literally gave the offense so many extra possessions, just imagine if we had taken advantage of at least half of those extra opportunities, these would be blowouts, instead, the defense was so gassed trying to bail out the offense by the 3rd and 4th quarter once again. Now they did tail off towards the end but they were by no means as bad as previous defenses we've had.

Secondly, I almost guarantee that we will find something to complain about with the new guy, just like we did with Williams, Horton, Jim O'Neil (rightfully so) and Jauron, the cycle never ends.

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

One thing I can guarantee is that we will find something to complain about

Its funny how people in hindsight conveniently forget about leading the NFL in turnovers by a fairly large amount (This means giving the offense the ball sometimes in plus territory and us not able to capitalize on a lot of those situations). I just like every other fan saw that we literally gave the offense so many extra possessions, just imagine if we had taken advantage of at least half of those extra opportunities, these would be blowouts, instead, the defense was so gassed trying to bail out the offense by the 3rd and 4th quarter once again. Now they did tail off towards the end but they were by no means as bad as previous defenses we've had.

Secondly, I almost guarantee that we will find something to complain about with the new guy, just like we did with Williams, Horton, Jim O'Neil (rightfully so) and Jauron, the cycle never ends.

Yeah folks are always going to complain about DC’s as it’s a league that values offense and scoring.

That said, what I’m seeing from a DC has to at least make sense, even if it doesn’t work.  

When you play a natural SS 25 yards from the LOS and give receivers 12 yard cushions on 3rd and 5, it’s just idiotic and not likely to ever be successful.  That’s the kind of stuff that drives me nuts, not when the offense just makes a good play and beats the defense.

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah folks are always going to complain about DC’s as it’s a league that values offense and scoring.

That said, what I’m seeing from a DC has to at least make sense, even if it doesn’t work.  

When you play a natural SS 25 yards from the LOS and give receivers 12 yard cushions on 3rd and 5, it’s just idiotic and not likely to ever be successful.  That’s the kind of stuff that drives me nuts, not when the offense just makes a good play and beats the defense.

I remember that, that was 2017 but even still, I knew understood why he did that. We didn't have very good corners that year and Greg Williams knew it, that's why he placed Peppers back there, it was a declaration to the offense that they weren't going to get beat deep. At that time Peppers was the only option athletically that could cover ground if they were to try us deep, it wasn't the best in the world but Williams tried to make the best out of a bad situation, we were going to lose anyway with the guys we had, might as well make them work for the TD and hope for a turnover, rather than give it up on one play over the top with the corners we had.

41 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I remember that, that was 2017 but even still, I knew understood why he did that. We didn't have very good corners that year and Greg Williams knew it, that's why he placed Peppers back there, it was a declaration to the offense that they weren't going to get beat deep.

One of those corners started for the champs last year and was just resigned.  The other started a before he came here and after.  I’m not saying they’re world beaters, but they don’t require THAT much help. They were actual NFL corners with plenty of starting experience for multiple teams.

41 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

At that time Peppers was the only option athletically that could cover ground if they were to try us deep, it wasn't the best in the world but Williams tried to make the best out of a bad situation, we were going to lose anyway with the guys we had, might as well make them work for the TD and hope for a turnover, rather than give it up on one play over the top with the corners we had.

Eh, I don’t think the situation was a dire as you and Greggg did.  I’d have played Peppers at his natural position and moved BBC back to FS.

Again, I’m not saying it was a great group, but they didn’t require 12 yard cushions against 3rd and 5.  And that’s no an exaggeration, I reminder it vividly against Brett Huntley and the Packers. Instead of making the backup make plays and beat you, we gave him easy completions, one after another.  Unless of course I’m wildly underestimating the difficulty of a 5 yard out...

I actually liked Gregg Williams the head coach more than Gregg Williams the DC.  He wasn't a horrible DC or anything, but he didn't get the most out of our D talent.  And yes, his schemes were head-scratching at times.  I certainly loved all the turnovers we created, but I'm not sure they were because of the scheme or the play calls.

I'm not guaranteeing that Wilks is an upgrade, but I still think the chances are good that Wilks will be better than Williams.

Archived