Who wins the NFCN 2019  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFCN 2019

• Chicago
    • Minnesota
    • Green Bay
    • Detroit

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm a little biased as a Lions fan but I do think the team is getting slept on.

Last year we had a huge step back. New HC who came in late and was playing catch up. Culture change and scheme change led to some growing pains. Star pass rusher, Ansah, was injured for the bulk of the season resulting in very little sack production. There was no consistent guy opposite of Slay. Quin regressed. Despite all of this, we finished with a top 10 defense. Flowers and Coleman should be significant improvements over the guys who were there before. Depending on how the draft shakes out, we should see additions to Edge, CB, S, and/or LB.

Offense: Stafford didn't have the year he would've hoped for but was injured for the back half of the season. TJ Lang and the RG was a revolving door. Blount was ineffective and Kerryon had his own challenges with injury. They'll likely be moving to more of a RBBC. Golladay and Jones are still decent weapons. James is an improvement at TE from what was there last year - whether he's a TE1 or not is up for debate. I expect they'll add a starting RG, a WR or two, a TE or two and a RB. The offense took a step back and should be improved.

Chicago has lost some key pieces, Packers have a new HC. If Cousins plays like should be able to, I would say the Vikings are the leaders in the division. However, I expect the Lions to make a jump and be a tough team to play this year.

I agree with you about the Lions.  One thing I would be concerned about though is the health of Matthew Stafford's wife.  That's a horrible thing for her to go through, and it could understandably be a distraction to his play on the field.  Here's hoping she has a quick recovery.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Same thing as last year.  Lousy offensive line.  We were horrible last year and haven't done much to improve in free agency.  I'm hoping we draft a couple of good O-line prospects, but even if we do, it could take a while for them to acclimate to NFL play.  If we can't protect Cousins and run block better than we did last season, it could be a long year.

What are your thoughts on Reiff? You guys signed him after we let him walk in order to draft Decker and added Wagner.

Just now, Karnage84 said:

What are your thoughts on Reiff? You guys signed him after we let him walk in order to draft Decker and added Wagner.

He was merely "ok".  Not horrible, but he's not a stud either.  The real weak spot on our line last year was at the center and guard positions.  Elflein, our center was recovering from an injury for a lot of the season, so I'm hoping he will return to form from the previous year.  It's possible we could draft a center and move Elflein over to one of the guard positions.  It will probably depend on how the draft falls for us.  Reiff is probably going to be a starter on our line somewhere this season.  It will be interesting to see if he stays at tackle or if we shuffle things up and move him in as a guard.  Hard to say.

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

I agree with you about the Lions.  One thing I would be concerned about though is the health of Matthew Stafford's wife.  That's a horrible thing for her to go through, and it could understandably be a distraction to his play on the field.  Here's hoping she has a quick recovery.

Yes, I do agree with you there. Definitely hope that she is ok - I hate Tom Brady but would never wish that onto him, his family, etc.

It is a wildcard that could make a big difference. Maybe this explains why the team has been looking at the QB's in detail this year. If Stafford decides to take off and be with his wife (completely understandable), the #8 pick would be a good spot to find his replacement. I honestly never even thought about that as a possibility but it certainly is.

• Like 1

Just now, Karnage84 said:

Yes, I do agree with you there. Definitely hope that she is ok - I hate Tom Brady but would never wish that onto him, his family, etc.

It is a wildcard that could make a big difference. Maybe this explains why the team has been looking at the QB's in detail this year. If Stafford decides to take off and be with his wife (completely understandable), the #8 pick would be a good spot to find his replacement. I honestly never even thought about that as a possibility but it certainly is.

It might not be a bad idea if there is a guy you like.  You are in a good position to get one this season, and even if Stafford stays around for a while, he's no spring chicken anymore.  Bringing in his eventual replacement could be a good strategy.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

It might not be a bad idea if there is a guy you like.  You are in a good position to get one this season, and even if Stafford stays around for a while, he's no spring chicken anymore.  Bringing in his eventual replacement could be a good strategy.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense this year. The team is looking for guys that can have an immediate impact. Stafford isn't Flacco, Brady, Rivers, Manning, etc. He still has about 5 decent years ahead of him. Quinn and Patricia have this season and next to really turn things around. We'll have a new coach AND GM in 2021 100% if they don't start knocking on the door or get into the playoffs. If they go 7-9 or 8-8 next season, they have to make it into the playoffs in 2020 otherwise it's going to get blown up. They'll likely draft a guy in rounds 5-7 like they've done with Rudock and Kayaa.

If Stafford retires to be with his wife, that might buy them an extra year or two. A trade for a guy like Rosen could be in that mix as they'd try to get lightning in a bottle and band-aid things.

10 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

I don’t think any vaguely rational person would view a guard entering his second season and Allen Robinson being a second year removed from an ACL injury as a sign that an offense is about to take off. 

And I of course said that as well.  Do they teach reading comprehension anymore?

• 4 weeks later...

I think all the teams in the NFCN had good drafts. I thought before the draft that GB added some solid pieces in FA & I like what they did in the draft. If Aaron Rodgers stays healthy I think they have a really good chance to win it. But Min got stronger on the OL & added some nice complementary pieces to an already talented offense. IF Min plays up to their potential I think they will win it. But that’s IF the OL, with the additions of Bradbury & Samia & Kline plays well (Elflien plays well at G) and IF Dalvin Cook can stay healthy. The defense will be solid under Zim, likely top 5-7ish. Only really lost Sheldon, which we have some guys there that can do a good job I think. Overall I just think Min has the most complete team, of course I could be somewhat biased. 

The Bears are very solid and have a great shot as well. But the loss of Fangio I think is substantial. Also lost a few good players I believe in Amos & Callahan. I’m not a believer in Trubisky either. Plus I think they just naturally regress a little on defense since they were so darn good last year. I believe the loss of Howard can’t be overlooked either. I know they drafted Montgomery and I think he will be a very good back. But let’s see how he plays in the NFL first. I see them right there with Min & GB, but ultimately I think they take a step back this year. 

The Lions have some talent. But I just don’t think Patricia is the guy that leads them where they need to be. And I’ve never thought very highly of Stafford as a player. I like the young nucleus of talent they have on offense (Hock, K.Johnson, Golladay), and they have some good pieces on defense. I think they shouldve added a playmaker to replace G.Tate (Amendola not it) & I kind of think they should’ve added another pass rusher in the draft. I get they added Flowers, but I think they overpayed him and he will just be solid(rather than an elite edge rusher like they payed him). If young guys like Hand & Davis progress then that could make them more difficult. But the Lions are a team havent proved they can really be a good team consistently with Stafford at the helm. And until they do become more consistent, I don’t think we should be calling them legitimate contenders in a division with 3 other very good teams. 

Will be a tight race no doubt, but I think Min has a bounce back year and wins the NFCN. 

What is the Bears' FO doing? What's the over/under on HaHa being cut by week 8? Skrine for Callahan? New DC. 2 FA RBs and 3 picks on RB was really weird.

A lot of questions about all these teams, but on paper GB had a much better than expected off-season: they got lucky in the draft and FA.  If all teams  stay healthy, GB.

Hmm, it could and should be very close.  But here's what I see. 

The Vikings still have the same problem - O line not doing enough to protect Cousins or run the ball effectively.  Their chances of success revolve around that.

The Packers have the same problem - their defense does not appear to have been improved that much, so perhaps we can expect more of the same.  As great as Rodgers is, he doesn't play defense.  

The Lions are still the same old Lions - some things never change (I wish they would).

The Bears just got a taste of winning and they loved it and they're still hungry, with a one year Head Coach who will want to go that step further in the playoffs, and they really haven't lost all that much in terms of talent and depth.  That defense is still very strong.  Providing Trubisky doesn't completely implode, I think the Bears have a good chance of repeating.

Edited by uk9erfan

9 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

The Packers have the same problem - their defense does not appear to have been improved that much...

They've added...

OLB Za’Darius Smith
OLB Preston Smith
S Adrian Amos
OLB Rashan Gary
S Darnell Savage
DL Kingsley Keke
CB Ka’dar Hollman
LB Ty Summers

That's quite a bit of infused talent.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

They've added...

OLB Za’Darius Smith
OLB Preston Smith
S Adrian Amos
OLB Rashan Gary
S Darnell Savage
DL Kingsley Keke
CB Ka’dar Hollman
LB Ty Summers

That's quite a bit of infused talent.

On paper yes - I really like the additions of Za'Darius Smith and Adrian Amos, but the others are unproven as yet. They could help turn it all around, but they could be busts too, and five of them are rookies. I do wonder if the Packs most important draft pick might be that OT Elgton Jenkins - Rodgers has been getting far too much pressure in his face the last few years.

Best division in football is the NFC North. Not sure any team is top ten overall but all four are probably between eleven and fifteen or sixteen which makes it so hard to rank. One game in the division could break the tie for the lead but maybe the better team finishes second or third and out of the playoffs. That's what I think of the NFCN in 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if all four teams are 4-4 in their division or the last place team is 3-5 within the division but has as many wins outside of it as the first place team does.

1. Lions 9-7

2. Packers 9-7

3. Bears 8-8

4. Vikings 8-8

• Like 1