49ers Trade 2020 2nd Rounder For Dee Ford

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, John232 said:

For us*.

He's been legit for a couple years now and just watch him play towards the end of this past season. He was straight destroying tackles. 

Meh, he's been streaky the past couple of years. He wasn't legit until this past year. And I'm not sold in him being a 4-3 DE. I mean, I'm glad they did something to address the gapping hole on the edge but I not as enamored with this move as most are. Hopefully he is everything his contract says he should be. But I hope this isnt the only move to address the edge that's not draft related.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So this doesn't even make sense. Even if we traded a 2019 2nd, why couldn't we still take Bosa or Allen? Or did this moron think we traded the #2 overall pick? Lmao. 

Grant pretty much takes every opportunity to rip the Niners, we could win a SB and he would say how we should have done things differently. This is how he gets attention, by going against the grain. Im not against a disagreement, but have something solid to argue if you decide to do so.

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Meh, he's been streaky the past couple of years. He wasn't legit until this past year. And I'm not sold in him being a 4-3 DE. I mean, I'm glad they did something to address the gapping hole on the edge but I not as enamored with this move as most are. Hopefully he is everything his contract says he should be. But I hope this isnt the only move to address the edge that's not draft related.

4-3/3-4 doesn't matter. This has been brought up multiple times. He'll probably have his hand in the dirt more, which might be an issue as @Forge brought up. But I don't know what there isn't to like, when it comes to his ability to rush the passer. He's straight up elite in that category. Yeah, there's an injury history and no, he's not good against the run. But we have Thomas who can sub in for him on base downs and kick inside on passing downs while Ford just creates a mess of havoc. 

Man..if we actually draft Bosa..that would just be incredible. Bosa just doesn't stay blocked..and neither does Buckner or Ford. QB's will maybe at most get 5 seconds in the pocket if everyone gets stonewalled at once. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

4-3/3-4 doesn't matter. This has been brought up multiple times. He'll probably have his hand in the dirt more, which might be an issue as @Forge brought up. But I don't know what there isn't to like, when it comes to his ability to rush the passer. He's straight up elite in that category. Yeah, there's an injury history and no, he's not good against the run. But we have Thomas who can sub in for him on base downs and kick inside on passing downs while Ford just creates a mess of havoc. 

Man..if we actually draft Bosa..that would just be incredible. Bosa just doesn't stay blocked..and neither does Buckner or Ford. QB's will maybe at most get 5 seconds in the pocket if everyone gets stonewalled at once

You could probably cut that in half. I think QBs would love to have 5 seconds in the pocket. 

3 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

You could probably cut that in half. I think QBs would love to have 5 seconds in the pocket. 

I was going to say the same lol. Brady was throwing the ball in a little over 2 seconds last year

33 minutes ago, John232 said:

Man..if we actually draft Bosa..that would just be incredible. Bosa just doesn't stay blocked..and neither does Buckner or Ford. QB's will maybe at most get 5 seconds in the pocket if everyone gets stonewalled at once. 

And I may be completely naive in thinking this, but something tells me Thomas has a really good season next year. Like 7-9 sacks from the interior. I think he just breaks through and finally starts to get "it" as they say. 

Kyler Murray likely going #1 and Ford being available completely changed our outlook on the edge lol. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I may be completely naive in thinking this, but something tells me Thomas has a really good season next year. Like 7-9 sacks from the interior. I think he just breaks through and finally starts to get "it" as they say. 

I agree, my gut says the same thing. He has a few things working for him this year

The third year is typically when you see a big jump on the interior DL. Look at buckner, year three was a big improvement for him last year. its a tough position to transition to, not uncommon for it to take a few years, especially when you are an interior player in college who is then asked to move outside because your team literally doesnt have anyone else there. I bet if he was played on the inside from the jump that a lot of people would look at him in a different light. 

The fact he has a new DL coach who is seasoned and has done a good job developing talent. Fresh perspective is always good. 

We all know that he had some tough breaks off the field, his sister killed herself among other things. Thats tough. He will be another year removed from all that. 

lets not forget why he was drafted #3 overall, he is a physical specimen. There is hardly any extra weight on his frame. He doesnt have length but man the guy is stout and can move well. He really can move. Weve all seen him chase plays down from the backside. He has powerful hands and plays with good leverage. He doesnt have many pass rush moves or very much bend (although he does have good leverage because of his stature) which is why he hasnt been able to rush from the outside.

Honestly, his work out numbers are off the charts. Hes not just a guy that can lift weights and run in a straight line really fast, he has football IQ as well. The guy is about as hard a worker as you will find. 

He played the best football of his career at the end of last season. You could see the confidence building. He wasnt getting a lot of stats, but other teams started to blatantly hold him multiple times a game. Thats a sign they know they cant block a guy.

I still think we move the guy around more than a lot of us would hope. He is fine on the edge on first down or obvious running situations. He sets the edge well in the run game. Ford isnt a great run defender, (obviously not why we brought him here) so having thomas play on the outside on early downs then bringing Ford in and shifting thomas inside (replacing AA) is great synergy. 

I said this in the news section and ive said it on here 1000 times. We needed speed and bend around the corner on the edge. We need a guy who can make the QB step up in the pocket into the waiting arms of buckner and thomas. By making the QB move, it will change the angle of the OLmen blocking Buckner relative to the QB and could help him shed blocks and get sacks. Ford will undoubtedly be able to do this even if he doesnt put up huge stats for us

One thing that I like is that he didnt just have a lot of sacks last year, but he had 29 QB hits, which was 5th in the NFL. He was getting to the QB frequently. pressures and qb hits are really the best indicator of how good a pass rusher is. He also had 7 forced fumbles last year. We had 7 takeaways all year lol 

I also LOVE that we didnt trade any of this year's draft capital to get the guy. hopefully that 2020 second rounder is somewhere around pick #57 or higher. This year our third is #67. If we make the playoffs at all, it will be at least #52. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And I may be completely naive in thinking this, but something tells me Thomas has a really good season next year. Like 7-9 sacks from the interior. I think he just breaks through and finally starts to get "it" as they say. 

Kyler Murray likely going #1 and Ford being available completely changed our outlook on the edge lol. 

I could see it. Say what you want Solly, but when he does get the jump, he blows through the LOS. if he can refine is pad level and arm extension (and general technique) he's going to strat flying by interior lineman..and with Ford, Buck and potentially Bosa bearing down everywhere else..he's going to have plenty of opportunities to clean up and make his mark. 

Saw the Odell trade last night, but did not see this until this morning! Wow. And we got him for a FUTURE 2nd round pick?! Well, that could be closer to being a 3rd rounder than a 1st (unlike this year!) by this time next year...that is cheap! Thank you Chefs! B| 

Watching Ford makes me think he may be the one lined up Wide 9 when we use it....and it makes me salivate thinking of the possible havoc on opposing QBs! :x

I would really like to double up though and take Bosa. But, it would not surprise me at all to see our 9ers trade down a bit after this trade and perhaps grab more picks. I would be sad to miss out on Bosa, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Archived