49ers Trade 2020 2nd Rounder For Dee Ford

J-ALL-DAY

11 hours ago, Forge said:

The second one is the sack he had against us. Did with his hand in the dirt, and beat Staley. 

Since we're going to incorporate more wide 9 looks, Dee just looks like a very very good fit. In any case, just adding that burst off the edge is already a win.

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Since we're going to incorporate more wide 9 looks, Dee just looks like a very very good fit. In any case, just adding that burst off the edge is already a win.

Yeah, his tape is very reminiscent of what everyone hopes Josh Allen looks like in a couple of years with a few extra bull rushes and inside counters. Just as terrifying spread that wide. 

Also, he's a prominent Auburn guy on the 9ers! Carlos Rogers, break out that champagne. 

Here's Dee Ford demonstrating one of his other talents:

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I agree, my gut says the same thing. He has a few things working for him this year

The third year is typically when you see a big jump on the interior DL. Look at buckner, year three was a big improvement for him last year. its a tough position to transition to, not uncommon for it to take a few years, especially when you are an interior player in college who is then asked to move outside because your team literally doesnt have anyone else there. I bet if he was played on the inside from the jump that a lot of people would look at him in a different light. 

The fact he has a new DL coach who is seasoned and has done a good job developing talent. Fresh perspective is always good. 

We all know that he had some tough breaks off the field, his sister killed herself among other things. Thats tough. He will be another year removed from all that. 

lets not forget why he was drafted #3 overall, he is a physical specimen. There is hardly any extra weight on his frame. He doesnt have length but man the guy is stout and can move well. He really can move. Weve all seen him chase plays down from the backside. He has powerful hands and plays with good leverage. He doesnt have many pass rush moves or very much bend (although he does have good leverage because of his stature) which is why he hasnt been able to rush from the outside.

Honestly, his work out numbers are off the charts. Hes not just a guy that can lift weights and run in a straight line really fast, he has football IQ as well. The guy is about as hard a worker as you will find. 

He played the best football of his career at the end of last season. You could see the confidence building. He wasnt getting a lot of stats, but other teams started to blatantly hold him multiple times a game. Thats a sign they know they cant block a guy.

I still think we move the guy around more than a lot of us would hope. He is fine on the edge on first down or obvious running situations. He sets the edge well in the run game. Ford isnt a great run defender, (obviously not why we brought him here) so having thomas play on the outside on early downs then bringing Ford in and shifting thomas inside (replacing AA) is great synergy. 

I said this in the news section and ive said it on here 1000 times. We needed speed and bend around the corner on the edge. We need a guy who can make the QB step up in the pocket into the waiting arms of buckner and thomas. By making the QB move, it will change the angle of the OLmen blocking Buckner relative to the QB and could help him shed blocks and get sacks. Ford will undoubtedly be able to do this even if he doesnt put up huge stats for us

One thing that I like is that he didnt just have a lot of sacks last year, but he had 29 QB hits, which was 5th in the NFL. He was getting to the QB frequently. pressures and qb hits are really the best indicator of how good a pass rusher is. He also had 7 forced fumbles last year. We had 7 takeaways all year lol 

I also LOVE that we didnt trade any of this year's draft capital to get the guy. hopefully that 2020 second rounder is somewhere around pick #57 or higher. This year our third is #67. If we make the playoffs at all, it will be at least #52. 

People will think I'm crazy, but all offseason, I've been annoyed with people calling Quinnen Williams the next Aaron Donald. He's a great athlete, but he's still not that close to Aaron Donald (I just thought of something... why isn't Aaron Donald's nickname AarDon?). The guy who reminds me more of Donald from an athletic standpoint is Solomon Thomas. We wasted his potential for two years trying to make him an outside rusher. Leave him inside. He could probably bulk up to 280-285 without losing explosiveness. He's strong, and he knows how to squeeze himself into a hole, which then forces the OL to hold him, or let him through. I'm not saying he's a 20-sack guy. But him getting 8+ sacks isn't hard to imagine, then add all the pressures, then add Buck, then add Ford and maybe Bosa, then we have a unit that will generate a ton of pressure and cause many an OL to take penalties. 

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

People will think I'm crazy, but all offseason, I've been annoyed with people calling Quinnen Williams the next Aaron Donald. He's a great athlete, but he's still not that close to Aaron Donald (I just thought of something... why isn't Aaron Donald's nickname AarDon?). The guy who reminds me more of Donald from an athletic standpoint is Solomon Thomas. We wasted his potential for two years trying to make him an outside rusher. Leave him inside. He could probably bulk up to 280-285 without losing explosiveness. He's strong, and he knows how to squeeze himself into a hole, which then forces the OL to hold him, or let him through. I'm not saying he's a 20-sack guy. But him getting 8+ sacks isn't hard to imagine, then add all the pressures, then add Buck, then add Ford and maybe Bosa, then we have a unit that will generate a ton of pressure and cause many an OL to take penalties. 

He was one of the best players on the field against the Broncos. Pressures. Forced holding penalties. And was pretty disruptive against the Seahawks, too. I'm not sure what to expect out of him, but I have higher hopes than most. His case has come with a number of personal and professional asterisks that make him hard to evaluate. 

13 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Yup. I said that on the previous page. Very intriguing and I'm already excited for this season. Too bad it is so far away. :(

At least there is the draft next month! :D  Oh, NEXT month...darn. :(

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

He was one of the best players on the field against the Broncos. Pressures. Forced holding penalties. And was pretty disruptive against the Seahawks, too. I'm not sure what to expect out of him, but I have higher hopes than most. His case has come with a number of personal and professional asterisks that make him hard to evaluate. 

I just want the staff to realize that he's an inside rusher. Tell him that. Let him work all offseason exclusively from the inside. Get his body prepared for it. Then just unleash him and stop second guessing him. I didn't like the pick back then. I didn't feel we went for the best player available, I think it was more of a character statement (one which was completely destroyed when we drafted Foster later in that round). But I want the guy to succeed. He has talent. He's on our team. If he succeeds, we're closer to succeeding as a team. Let's get the most out of him.

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Yup. I said that on the previous page. Very intriguing and I'm already excited for this season. Too bad it is so far away. :(

At least there is the draft next month! :D  Oh, NEXT month...darn. :(

Just go and watch Dee tear an ACL in OTAs... such is our luck.

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I think the closest thing to Donald is Ed Oliver. He’s seen his stock drop, but to me they have the style of play. I think Ed Oliver will be a steal for whoever picks him this year.

14 hours ago, Forge said:

The second one is the sack he had against us. Did with his hand in the dirt, and beat Staley. 

The first comment on that video is: "Keep dreaming, Chiefs would never trade All Pro Dee Ford, now in his prime, for a 2nd round pick. LOL"

4 hours ago, rudyZ said:

They're not saying he's Aaron Donald clone in terms of physical attributes and how they attack O-Lineman. They(including myself) are saying he's the closest thing to Donald in terms of how disruptive they are and how they cause all kinds of problems in terms of how to block them. How they make plays your average DT simply can't and how that forces your blocking scheme to account of their presence EVERY snap.

Ed Oliver isn't close to Donald in terms of disruptiveness and being a game-changer along the interior imo. I think he'll be a good but I don't see a Donald-like level dominance with his tape. I can definitely see it Williams though. He just does things in terms of slipping double-teams, chasing down plays from the backside that a NT or 3-Tech shouldn't be able to do.

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

They're not saying he's Aaron Donald clone in terms of physical attributes and how they attack O-Lineman. They(including myself) are saying he's the closest thing to Donald in terms of how disruptive they are and how they cause all kinds of problems in terms of how to block them. How they make plays your average DT simply can't and how that forces your blocking scheme to account of their presence EVERY snap.

Ed Oliver isn't close to Donald in terms of disruptiveness and being a game-changer along the interior imo. I think he'll be a good but I don't see a Donald-like level dominance with his tape. I can definitely see it Williams though. He just does things in terms of slipping double-teams, chasing down plays from the backside that a NT or 3-Tech shouldn't be able to do.

No only difference with QW and Oliver is one guy had to play 2 more season after his best statical seasons. Oliver 2016 is very comparable to QW 2018 season. There was a reason he was seen as the top non QB prospect the prev 2 seasons. 

Archived