49ers Trade 2020 2nd Rounder For Dee Ford

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, sherm said:

No only difference with QW and Oliver is one guy had to play 2 more season after his best statical seasons. Oliver 2016 is very comparable to QW 2018 season. There was a reason he was seen as the top non QB prospect the prev 2 seasons. 

Not when you watch his film. I'm not stat guy, per say. Especially with college guys. It's all about film. His 2016 film is good...it ain't Williams good tho. And Oliver wasn't doing it against SEC-caliber comp either....but I digress 

45 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

I think the added pass rush leads to more aggressive coverage.

This will actually be the thing I'm going to be really interested in. If Dee plays like he did last year, and Buckner as well, with such a vastly improved pass rush, how much of an effect will it have on the corners and safeties? Should help them out immensely, so we can really, really figure out what we have back there in some of those guys. 

9 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Dee Ford - the man who played for two Auburn teams in a National Championship game (one of the only men, to be sure, and once as a ~210 pound Sophomore). This was his finest moment in the blue and orange: 

Boo Auburn Boo :P

57 minutes ago, N4L said:

The wide 9 has to end all of this nonsense with Solly passrushing on the outside right? I mean, he is a bad fit way out there unless you are expecting an outside run 

Yes. Solly would rush from the inside, as would and next to Buck. 

It's a fun concept, but I have to wonder about whether the run game will suffer greatly from its usage. I know I know, passing League and all, but for this fan, it's even more demoralizing when getting pummeled on the ground in chunks all game long. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Yes. Solly would rush from the inside, as would and next to Buck. 

It's a fun concept, buI I have to wonder about whether the run game will suffer greatly from its usage. I know I know, passing League and all, but for this fan, it's even more demoralizing when getting pummeled on the ground in chunks all game long. 

I think (hope) we're mostly incorporating wide 9 to what we already do, not that we're throwing away the 4-3 under altogether to go exclusively with the wide 9. Maybe it will depend on the opponent. Maybe it will depend on game situation. But if we go all-out, all wide 9, then we'd have reasons to be worried. It's not like we still have Willis and Bowman cleaning up everything behind that line.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I think (hope) we're mostly incorporating wide 9 to what we already do, not that we're throwing away the 4-3 under altogether to go exclusively with the wide 9. Maybe it will depend on the opponent. Maybe it will depend on game situation. But if we go all-out, all wide 9, then we'd have reasons to be worried. It's not like we still have Willis and Bowman cleaning up everything behind that line.

https://www.49ers.com/video/49ers-introduce-dl-dee-ford-and-lb-kwon-alexander

Listening to Kyle (~16:50) it doesn't really sound like this is going to be a wholesale change to our defense. I imagine our defensive alignment will look a lot like it did this year. 

Since we are running a def similar to seattle, I always thought that Cliff Avrill and Mike Bennett were starters on that team? turns out they weren't?

According to Pro football reference, Seattle started Clemons-Mebane-Alan Branch-Red Bryant on base downs and subbed in Avril and Bennett on passing downs.