Le'Veon Bell signs with Jets for real this time

49erurtaza

10 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Well, if we're going off what Bell's agent said publicly, then even he said the $10 million in guarantees was inaccurate. When Bell repeatedly stated he wanted to be the highest paid RB with the highest paid AAV, I'll take him at his word, personally.

I'll also point out that  you are dead wrong on the HOW the Steelers intended to pay Bell. Because he was going to get, reportedly at least, a $10 milloin signing bonus and a $10 million roster bonus almost instantly after signing. How much money is that again?

And upon getting both his year 1 and 2 salary were to be guaranteed. 

8 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Well, if we're going off what Bell's agent said publicly, then even he said the $10 million in guarantees was inaccurate. When Bell repeatedly stated he wanted to be the highest paid RB with the highest paid AAV, I'll take him at his word, personally.

I'll also point out that  you are dead wrong on the HOW the Steelers intended to pay Bell. Because he was going to get, reportedly at least, a $10 milloin signing bonus and a $10 million roster bonus almost instantly after signing. How much money is that again?

Do you also remember the part where Bell's agent came out and said the Steelers are one of two teams who don't guarantee contracts beyond year one?

I've seen the $10MM reported as a signing bonus that is fully guaranteed. I don't know all the details, no one does. All I've argued is that guaranteeing a roster bonus, then guaranteeing more upon payment of the roster bonus only as a roster bonus is not actually guaranteed.

There's a lot of funny math going on limited information in this thread. From what I can tell, Bell threw a year-long drama tantrum to realistically get $2mil more in guaranteed money and a much lower AAV if he performs well for at least 3 years.

He sure stuck it to the NFL.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Cite a source, because this is wholly inconsistent with what you've been arguing for 2 pages.

It’s not. I was giving an example as what the Steelers do. I was not saying that’s that actual structure. 

3 minutes ago, Texans02 said:

There's a lot of funny math going on limited information in this thread. From what I can tell, Bell threw a year-long drama tantrum to realistically get $2mil more in guaranteed money and a much lower AAV if he performs well for at least 3 years.

It’s actually the same with taxes factored in. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

It’s not. I was giving an example as what the Steelers do. I was not saying that’s that actual structure. 

Saying he was guaranteed a roster bonus after year 1, versus after year 2 is hugely important when you have a contract that only guarantees salary upon payment of a roster bonus as a roster bonus, which is conditional to the player being on the roster.

If Bell was actually guaranteed 2 full years of salary based on the first roster bonus which would immediately kick in, I'd agree with you. But I can't find anything that says he was, and Bell's agent came out and said that the Steelers didn't guarantee a second year.

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Saying he was guaranteed a roster bonus after year 1, versus after year 2 is hugely important when you have a contract that only guarantees salary upon payment of a roster bonus as a roster bonus, which is conditional to the player being on the roster.

If Bell was actually guaranteed 2 full years of salary based on the first roster bonus which would immediately kick in, I'd agree with you. But I can't find anything that says he was, and Bell's agent came out and said that the Steelers didn't guarantee a second year.

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the contract included $33 million in guaranteed money, which was going to be paid out over the first two years. Rapoport also noted that the first three years of the deal would pay out $45 million (or $15 million per season), but didn't note if all of that money was guaranteed. As for the final two years of the deal, it seems that Bell had no guaranteed money. Of course, none of this matters now, since Bell didn't take the offer. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

His agent making comments about the signing bonus was playing with the semantics of the deal to make people think Bell was getting jobbed. 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the contract included $33 million in guaranteed money, which was going to be paid out over the first two years. Rapoport also noted that the first three years of the deal would pay out $45 million (or $15 million per season), but didn't note if all of that money was guaranteed. As for the final two years of the deal, it seems that Bell had no guaranteed money. Of course, none of this matters now, since Bell didn't take the offer. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-reportedly-turned-down-a-monstrous-70-million-deal-from-the-steelers/

His agent making comments about the signing bonus was playing with the semantics of the deal to make people think Bell was getting jobbed. 

Rapaport's tweet said it was a "rolling guaranteed" structure, which is a critical distinction from fully guaranteed given how the Steelers structure contracts for the exact reason I've been explaining over and over again for 2 pages. 

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Rapaport's tweet said it was a "rolling guaranteed" structure, which is a critical distinction from fully guaranteed given how the Steelers structure contracts for the exact reason I've been explaining over and over again for 2 pages. 

Does anyone have info on how this works?  I'd think- but don't quote me- that it would have something to do with Bell staying out of trouble,  like his next year's salary could become guaranteed as long as he didn't get suspended again.

14 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Does anyone have info on how this works?  I'd think- but don't quote me- that it would have something to do with Bell staying out of trouble,  like his next year's salary could become guaranteed as long as he didn't get suspended again.

"Rolling guarantees" is a nonsense term. The more accurate term is "team option".

Bell's 2018 portion of the contract would be guaranteed. That includes a $10MM signing bonus, plus at least a small salary among likely some other compensation. Reportedly, he first 2 years add up to $33MM so based on the second year, in this hypothetical, it'd be another $8MM total in 2018.

A few days after the start of the league year, Bell is due a roster bonus, which would then guarantee his 2019 salary only if it's paid as a roster bonus. Let's say that roster bonus was $3MM, and the remaining 2019 salary+bonuses was $12MM. The roster bonus itself may be guaranteed, but if the Steelers cut him, that's not a roster bonus since he's not on the active roster, so they wouldn't owe him the remaining $12MM.

We know the 3rd year was for $12MM in total compensation, so let's say that's another $3MM roster bonus and $9MM salary which the Steelers can get out of the same way that they can in 2019.

To describe this contract accurately, Bell would have a 2018 contract for $10MM+non-signing bonus money ($8MM), a $3MM buyout on a 2019 team option, and if that option is exercised a $3MM buyout on a 2020 team option, etc. through 2022.

When read as it actually is: a 1 year deal with 4 recurring team options, it's obvious why Bell turned it down.

58 minutes ago, Texans02 said:

Um, no. The Steelers deal only had $10M in guaranteed money. This deal has $25M in guaranteed money. Furthermore, the total money of the previous deal was $70M and the total money in this deal is $61M. Therefore he gave up $9M in total money to get $15M more in guaranteed money.

I'd say he did stick it to the NFL.

Archived