Le'Veon Bell signs with Jets for real this time

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Um, no. The Steelers deal only had $10M in guaranteed money. This deal has $25M in guaranteed money. Furthermore, the total money of the previous deal was $70M and the total money in this deal is $61M. Therefore he gave up $9M in total money to get $15M more in guaranteed money.

I'd say he did stick it to the NFL.

The fact that fans can bury their heads in the sand and go for pages on what the value of the contract actually might be is proof that the NFL owners have succeeded getting the maximum headline mileage with articles like "Player Signed for $XXX Million" while minimizing actual player payouts.

Sounds like Bell lost out with his gamble, though he did secure a higher guaranteed total.

And sounds like the Steelers lost out with trying to use manipulative language to essentially have yearly team options.

And then sounds like the fans of the Steelers are suddenly contract and cap experts who believe their franchise offered more guarantees than there really were.

3 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

And sounds like the Steelers lost out with trying to use manipulative language to essentially have yearly team options.

I don't think anyone "lost". Bell got guaranteed money and is set for life. Pittsburgh avoided having to pay guaranteed money to a RB, which they clearly didn't want to do. I think it's closer to win-win than lose-lose, even if it was a complete **** show to get there.

But this is 100% what the Steelers are doing. NFL contracts are complicated to deliberately inflate their value while giving teams every opportunity to bail.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The fact that fans can bury their heads in the sand and go for pages on what the value of the contract actually might be is proof that the NFL owners have succeeded getting the maximum headline mileage with articles like "Player Signed for $XXX Million" while minimizing actual player payouts.

What's more shocking to me are the amount of NFL-verified people on Twitter who've been saying for the last 12 hours that Le'Veon "would've made more money with the original offer the Steelers gave him!". It's absurd, ignorant and really shows how little people understand this situation. I'm not a cap or contract expert, but I know the difference between "potentially guaranteed if you're on the roster at this point in time" and "guaranteed". I also know the difference between $10M and $25M. Le'Veon would've made more money IF he played out that entire contract for the Steelers, which was HIGHLY unlikely considering how much they were using him and his injury risk. One injury from him and he's cut with no guaranteed money.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What's more shocking to me are the amount of NFL-verified people on Twitter who've been saying for the last 12 hours that Le'Veon "would've made more money with the original offer the Steelers gave him!". It's absurd, ignorant and really shows how little people understand this situation. I'm not a cap or contract expert, but I know the difference between "potentially guaranteed if you're on the roster at this point in time" and "guaranteed". I also know the difference between $10M and $25M. Le'Veon would've made more money IF he played out that entire contract for the Steelers, which was HIGHLY unlikely considering how much they were using him and his injury risk. One injury from him and he's cut with no guaranteed money.

I'm not sure who I want to criticize the most:

• The Steelers, for deliberately texting reporters things like "rolling guarantees", knowing full well that the devil is in the details
  • NFL-verified twitter personalities, who are all over parroting that purposely misleading report from the GM
  • Agents, for not blowing the cover on teams when they pull this crap and releasing the details
  • Networks, for not educating fans on how this actually works

I honestly don't blame Steelers fans. They want to defend the team like anyone would, and this process is engineered by teams to be complicated to deliberately let them win a PR war.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Um, no. The Steelers deal only had $10M in guaranteed money. This deal has $25M in guaranteed money. Furthermore, the total money of the previous deal was $70M and the total money in this deal is $61M. Therefore he gave up $9M in total money to get $15M more in guaranteed money.

I'd say he did stick it to the NFL.

$61mil with incentives. That has been reported as “unlikely to get”.

47 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not sure who I want to criticize the most:

• The Steelers, for deliberately texting reporters things like "rolling guarantees", knowing full well that the devil is in the details
  • NFL-verified twitter personalities, who are all over parroting that purposely misleading report from the GM
  • Agents, for not blowing the cover on teams when they pull this crap and releasing the details
  • Networks, for not educating fans on how this actually works

I honestly don't blame Steelers fans. They want to defend the team like anyone would, and this process is engineered by teams to be complicated to deliberately let them win a PR war.

Part of the issue here is we don’t know what the rolling guarantees are. Was is play a single snap? Be on the roster at the start of the new league year? Not be injured? Maybe if he played 50% of the 2018 snaps, 2019 became guaranteed. Or if he got the 2018 roster bonus he got 2019 guaranteed. We don’t know what kicked it in to be guaranteed, but for it to be reported as $33mil guaranteed it mush have been seen as easy to hit. 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Part of the issue here is we don’t know what the rolling guarantees are. Was is play a single snap? Be on the roster at the start of the new league year? Not be injured? Maybe if he played 50% of the 2018 snaps, 2019 became guaranteed. Or if he got the 2018 roster bonus he got 2019 guaranteed. We don’t know what kicked it in to be guaranteed, but for it to be reported as $33mil guaranteed it mush have been seen as easy to hit. 

That's part of the issue, but every single one of those guarantees is outside of Bell's control except the 2018 roster guaranteeing the 2019 salary, which I think we can safely eliminate given the repeated comments of the Steelers not guaranteeing year 2 from reporters and from Bell's agent. 

And that is what is fundamentally dishonest about using terms like "rolling guaranteed". That's a team option. The Steelers could buy out bell in many of those instances by cutting him before 2019. Otherwise, they could buy him out by manipulating touches. To call the 2019 money guaranteed is at best a half-truth, and in my opinion it's just plain false. To report it as such without clarifying exactly what the conditions are is simply bad big J journalism by Rapaport (shocked Pikachu face.meme).

My guess is that Rapaport either didn't follow up, or if he did, the team didn't elaborate, so he ran with what he had, which is a deliberately distorted picture put out by the Steelers to win a PR battle against Bell.

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think the Agent leaked the parts of it he wanted to leak. He did this with MJD and Forte with their contract situations too. And when the details came out you discovered it was a half truth he told. 

No agent in a trillion years would ever use the term "rolling guarantees". That came from the Steelers.

Archived